Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
I come from the software development field, I can well understand why software is the way it is... It's complex, with many people involved over an extended period of time...

Just a guess on my part, but I think they want your choice of non-ICC to be a very intentional act, not something that can be done inadvertently or without intention. The reason being once you're accustomed to ICC, not having it could cause you to rear-end somebody if non-ICC was activated without intention... I believe they only added this feature to '19 and on. Probably due to complaints from earlier 3rd gens owners when some radar units were defective and thus disabled any cruise control until the expensive radar unit replaced either under warranty or at the owner's expense...
No different than any other field, really. You have the people that develop/test the plan, then those who fine tune it, then those who look at it again and look for possible improvements, then changes are made, then the practical, hands-on, lower-downs get their hands on it and don't understand why this is the way it is, so they ask their own expert to make changes, etc, etc. Sometimes in the end, the final product isn't all that close to the way it was thought out and intended to be. I think Nissan just needs to relabel that <cruise on/off> button to read <ICC/Cruise power> or <icruise power> to give more savvy users a clue.

I wished they had reversed that cruise power button so that the pressable area was on the left side so my thumb could more easily push it. It's strange to have what appears to be a left button that's frozen. Actually, I wish the left side of that button was to cancel cruise, although I am getting used to the smaller cancel button near the top. I also don't understand their placement of the heated seat switches (so much wasted area that could have accomodated a tiny flip-up compartment or two), and the fan speed buttons look nice, but feel clumsy to use. Why not have them be more of a soft-touch activation switch? And the media center...I have a long reach, and I have to actually lean to the right to reach the tuning knob to scroll through my list of SiriusXM channels. Using the toggle on the left of the steering wheel only seems to cycle through a handful of ones that I didn't really choose. I know...read the manual. :)

·
Registered
884 Posts
I wish there was a section in the table of contents that read... "stuff you want to disable." It almost seems that Nissan is making it more convoluted and complex and frustrating to find answers so that people give up before finding them. I paid thousands of dollars for this car...why can't I just hit the "settings" button in my media center and be presented with an A to Z list of items with an "on off" option to select? I realize not all things can be funneled into the media center. Just a broad example. Everything seems convoluted, buried and obscurely worded at times. It shouldn't be this tough. Like the ICC thing. Why not make it so holding the ICC button for 1.5 seconds disables it? That was my first thought and what I tried first. That, to me, makes more sense than saying press and hold the cruise on/off for 1.5 seconds. In my mind, that didn't make sense because I wanted to keep cruise control on, so why push that button? Maybe they should label that button "icc/cruise on/off," since that's what it's really for.
The biggest problem with Nissan’s user interfaces, software, etc is that they’ve tried to add over and over to existing platforms and get them all to make sense. In my opinion, they don’t. It feels like a tech suite that is patched together in multiple ways.

Nissan needs a fresh start and to throw everything out. The need for new drivetrains is dire, but the user interfaces are in serious trouble too. It’s a big problem that people don’t seem to worry or care about.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The biggest problem with Nissan’s user interfaces, software, etc is that they’ve tried to add over and over to existing platforms and get them all to make sense. In my opinion, they don’t. It feels like a tech suite that is patched together in multiple ways.

Nissan needs a fresh start and to throw everything out. The need for new drivetrains is dire, but the user interfaces are in serious trouble too. It’s a big problem that people don’t seem to worry or care about.
I didn't mind the lack of features in the '03, given the period and the more option-less MO I opted for. But, on a recent model like the 2021, I was surprised there appear to be a lot of simple things that were left out and that feel very 20 years ago. Even the '03 had better-feeling knobs, buttons and levers than this '21. They certaintly seemed to go cheap and thoughtless on this model (and I'm guessing 3rd Gens are in the same boat.)

21 - 23 of 23 Posts