Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't thumbed through the manual yet because I felt it wasn't anything serious that happened yesterday, where the entire top area bar between the gauges illuminated faint red or orange and showed what looked to be the outline of a rectangle. I think a beep also sounded. It lasted about a second. Since I had braked quickly for a split second (not enough to cause ABS to activate or the nose of the car to plow forward) to avoid a car that was making a sharp right turn then suddenly decided not to turn, I figured it was just a potential collision warning. Currently looking through the PDFs... I'll update if I find out what it is before someone posts.

UPDATE: It's possible it's part of the AEB system, but that section isn't displaying the warming area and light in the place I believe I saw it. I recall there being an arched warning light and thinking that looked unique. I don't think it was in the squarish area where the vehicle information usually is. I don't see any depictions of it in the manual. At the very least, I feel the arched area that's directly above the info area may have illuminated (where the cruise control, clock and outside temp info is displayed).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Yes, warning you saw on the upper area of the driver display was due to approaching the car in front of you. It does come on then goes off quickly if it's not an impending collision. It can be surprising the first time you catch a glimpse of it... There is also an audio alert that goes along with it. I find the emergency braking and blind spot audio alert warnings to be too quiet, I wish there was a setting to choose how loud the warning is...

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Driving safely unsafe this morning, I tried to recreate the warning by coming close to cars and braking suddenly, but no matter what I tried nothing ever alerted me to a potential collision, despite my car coming closer to the rear of other cars than to the one that seemed to trigger the warning. In fact, I drove towards a large tree and at a guardrail at around 25MPH, and slammed on the brakes about two feet away and there was still no collision alert. Not even the sonar thing did anything. But I believe that's primarily for parking (i.e. slower speeds). I wonder if that arched orange light was to indicate a problem with the AEB system. There are no warning messages in the system, but it seems that the system may not be active. Perhaps that illuminated bar with the boxy icon was indicating a failure. Maybe something burned out and isn't able to trigger a malfunction. Seems unlikely, though. I just find it odd that I can't find a reference to an arched warning light with an outlined box icon. I'll have to keep digging, or I might visit a dealership and ask a question or two. I'll also probably check whatever fuse/relay controls that function and see if it's okay.

I haven't completed editing a video to go over changes I'd like to see in future Muranos (if there are any) and the blind spot indicator light was a topic I touched on. When starting the car, that light illuminates brightly. However, when a vehicle triggers that light, it's only at about half of the full brightness. I think it should always be at full intensity (especially important on sunny days) and possibly even flash a bit to grab the driver's attention. I also feel they should knock out (router out) the black-edged front corner of that housing to allow the light to be seen when seated further back. As it currently is, the light is very recessed and obscured by the trim cover. I almost feel the blind spot light would be better if positioned on the sideview mirror arm, right where the mirror pivots. Doing that would remove the bulk from that pillar where the light currently is, which would then allow the driver to see through between the inside edge of the mirror and the pillar. I'm constantly having to move my head around to see things to my left.

·
Super Moderator
1,356 Posts
You can get the warning every time, by following close behind a car about half way thru a right hand turn and you're going straight, without touching the brake pedal. Leave enough room on your left, front and back, so that you can quickly swerve to the left if the right hand turner slows suddenly.

I can almost get the warning on demand, if the setup is right.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You can get the warning every time, by following close behind a car about half way thru a right hand turn and you're going straight, without touching the brake pedal. Leave enough room on your left, front and back, so that you can quickly swerve to the left if the right hand turner slows suddenly.

Have a good day.
You are absolutely correct Paul. I get the same warnings. If I were this guy and so edgy, I would sell the MO since you get top dollars for a low-mileage used car like MO and get a car from a manufacturer I like to do business with.......!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I haven't thumbed through the manual yet because I felt it wasn't anything serious that happened yesterday, where the entire top area bar between the gauges illuminated red or orange and showed what I think was a square or rectangle. I think a beep also sounded. It lasted less than a second. Since I had braked quickly for a split second (not enough to cause ABS to activate or the nose of the car to plow forward) to avoid a car that suddenly decided not to turn per their turn signal, I figured it was a just a potential "collision" or "close call" warning, so I never bothered thinking about it further. However, after starting to hear a loud clicking sound from the shifter this morning, I'm starting to wonder if that warning-like signal the previous day was telling me something's wrong. Currently looking through the PDFs... I'll update if I find out what it is before someone posts. It happened so fast that I could be wrong, but if you look at the attached picture, I believe that entire circled area lit up orange or red and had a large square or rectangle icon top-center.

Here's the video of my clicking sound that just started late this morning, after making three stops. At the third place, I'm now starting to wonder if the large SUV that was parked beside me when I came out of the store (that wasn't there when I arrived) may have bumped into MO and caused some kind of damage. I'll have to check the bumper skirting tomorrow for any scuffs of looseness, and I may go back to that store and ask to review their CCTV of that area. This brake-shifter clicking is exactly the sound I started getting from my 2003 in 2019 around the time of being clipped by that drunk driver. It's also when I started having noticable CVT issues. I hope this isn't the case with my 2021.

UPDATE: It's possible it's part of the AEB system, but that section isn't displaying the warming area and light in the place I believe I saw it. I really recall there being an arched warning light and thinking that was odd. I really don't think it was in the square area where the information/menu usually is. I don't see any depictions of it in the manual. At the very least, I feel the arched area maybe directly above the info area may have illuminated. But I really don't think so. I'm also very confident it was a rectangle icon, without anything on or around it. The closest thing I can see that resembles it is the battery light.
As far as the clicking noise is concerned, that's the shift lock solenoid you're hearing. When you're in P and you press on the brake pedal, voltage is sent to the BCM, which then energizes the shift lock solenoid so you can shift out of P. My guess is you didn't notice it before because you usually also turn the engine on at the same time you press the brake pedal.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I went to the dealer and started two different MOs, and they don't make that clicking sound. In my MO, it wasn't there (or at the very least that pronounced) until late morning the other day, After two months of use, I guarantee I would've noticed the solenoid making that kind of noise. Since those other 2021 MOs don't make that sound, I'm going with something has loosened or shifted from where it used to be. As I said, my 2003 was clickless when starting until 2019, at which point that solenoid began making a lot of racket and it never stopped. Not really worried about it, but I might take things apart to see what's up and what happened.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
You are absolutely correct Paul. I get the same warnings. If I were this guy and so edgy, I would sell the MO since you get top dollars for a low-mileage used car like MO and get a car from a manufacturer I like to do business with.......!
I'm not on edge, pal. I can't talk about my MO on a Murano forum? I like this car, but am understandably curious when new sounds or lights appear. The owner's manual doesn't seem to show what I saw, leading me to think it may not have been a normal AEB warning.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Have a good day.
Thanks, I'll give that a try. The other day, the vehicle was making a righthand turn, and at the last second opted not to and went straight again, forcing me to alter my anticipated path.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Since those other 2021 MOs don't make that sound, I'm going with something has loosened or shifted from where it used to be
Certainly possible. Nissan should hire you as a quality control tester for their new models--you would catch everything.
:D

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Certainly possible. Nissan should hire you as a quality control tester for their new models--you would catch everything.
:D
I actually worked at an automotive assembly plant for two years in Quality Control abd Quality Assurance, making sure that products coming off the line were meeting the desired standards. Plus, I come from a long line of Navy men who were meticulous and perfectionistic. I'm not quite as anal as they are/were, but I do tend to find things others don't notice, and then enjoy trying to find answers and solutions.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Quick question... In that section of the owner's manual that refers to the AEB system malfunctioning and causing an orange warning signal and audible beep, along with (apparently) showing the word "malfunction" in the information display. Do you think it's referring to that word being shown in the warnings review menu, or do you think it would have appeared briefly in the information area (for instance, where a song title usually is) and maybe it only showed momentarily because the AEB alert either cleared or burned out?

PaulDay, when you perform that collision manuever and the light displays, is it showing one of the three warning symbols in the AEB 1 attachment? I'm about 95% sure what I saw wasn't any of those symbols.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I believe the icon labeled 2 in your second attachment is the warning that you saw...it's just not in the shape that it actually appears in the display... It only displays briefly, and I have only provoked the warning display a couple of times, but that is what I think I saw... Yeah, the manual could do a better job for sure, color would be nice too...

·
Super Moderator
1,356 Posts
Icon #2, but it's red.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I believe the icon labeled 2 in your second attachment is the warning that you saw...it's just not in the shape that it actually appears in the display... It only displays briefly, and I have only provoked the warning display a couple of times, but that is what I think I saw... Yeah, the manual could do a better job for sure, color would be nice too...
You'd think they could use some color, given we're not living in the 1940s. :)

Like I said, I'm 95% sure of what I saw, and none of those icons/symbols or their potential placement within that rectangular vehicle info area is what illuminated orange and showed the box symbol. Refer to the "display area" attachment that I created to show what I saw. It was simple and lacking details. The only other thing I'm not 100% sure of is which area lighted orange. At first, I felt it was the bigger arch where the turn signal indicator lights are, but later I felt it may have been the smaller arched area just below that, which is not accurately depicted in the attachment. Perhaps it's also possible that the warning was so quick that it failed to render the icon fully, resulting in that outlined box of where the icon would have been. Or, there's a glitch in the system and the icon couldn't render, so what was shown was the allocated area for such a icon.

I've also been having weird problems where I disable something (such as items displayed on the vehicle information area - such as navigation, fuel MPG, compass, etc) and after deselecting something (so the corresponding dot to the right is no longer orange/on) I'll return to the menu and what's showing is all wrong. Seems like a very straight-forward process, yet somehow the opposite of what I'm selecting (or random things) persist in that menu. Odd glitches.

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
I went to the dealer and started two different MOs, and they don't make that clicking sound. In my MO, it wasn't there (or at the very least that pronounced) until late morning the other day, After two months of use, I guarantee I would've noticed the solenoid making that kind of noise. Since those other 2021 MOs don't make that sound, I'm going with something has loosened or shifted from where it used to be. As I said, my 2003 was clickless when starting until 2019, at which point that solenoid began making a lot of racket and it never stopped. Not really worried about it, but I might take things apart to see what's up and what happened.
I would suggest not taking things apart to see what happened. I would suggest going to the dealership, showing them that the other Muranos dont do it, then have them take it apart and fix it UNDER WARRANTY.

What's going to happen is you're going to take it apart, try to fix it, realize it's a part that needs to be swapped and then bringing it in anyway. Plus if you damage anything taking it apart, you'll have an uphill battle getting the part fixed as they will claim you were tinkering with it and broke it.

Just my thought.

I've had my 2017 Platinum since day 1. I've had allot of issues with it, as I'm sure plenty of the members on here are aware I've vented my frustration. 14 warranty claims in 3 years (if I recall correctly). Everything from the seat motors to the heated/cooling seat module to the automatic mirrors and sunroof shade, plus everything else in between.

All 14 of them were deemed to be a proper claim and repaired by Nissan on their dime. I probably could have fixes the minor stuff like my positive battery terminal failing within the first 6 months or so... by why? Let them deal with it.

This is what Warranty is for..

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I find the emergency braking and blind spot audio alert warnings to be too quiet, I wish there was a setting to choose how loud the warning is...
Interesting. I seem to remember hearing the blind spot indicator's audible alert when I inititally drove the car (maybe the first few weeks) but I've had no audible alerts from that system for a long time. I'll have to check the manual to see if there's some alert function I disabled or turned down that's preventing that alert from being heard.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
You only get the audible BSW alert when you attempt to signal a turn when there's vehicle is in your blind spot...

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
My guess is you didn't notice it before because you usually also turn the engine on at the same time you press the brake pedal.
I get into the car, depress the brake pedal, then depress the ignition button (it's not a simultaneous act) and the car starts. Prior to a few days ago, there wasn't that loud solenoid clicking happening when starting the car. The engine would start, I'd shift to R to back out and be on my way. Remember that the click is sounding before the head unit has fully engaged and acquired the media to play music. Point being, the car is quiet.

Now I get into the car, depress the brake pedal, depress the ignition button (solenoid clicks), release the button (solenoid clicks again) then shift to R, etc. Since I often sit in the car with it running while in P to use my phone or whatever, and then press the brake pedal when ready to shift and leave, I certainly would've noticed the loud solenoid click that now sounds whenever the car is running and in P and I touch the brake to shift to leave.

While not convinced of anything until I've found proof, I'm leaning towards one of two vehicles having bumped into my car in that parking lot late Monday morning, since the clicking started from that point, and then 45 minutes later I got that potential collision alert with orange bar with icon that aren't mentioned in the owner's manual, leading me to believe something was damaged. I'm heading to that store this morning since their IT person isn't always there who can access the CCTV footage. If someone did bump my car, hopefully I can get a plate number to track them down and hold them responsible for any damage that Nissan might find was caused by their contact. I don't really want to bring it to Nissan if there's no indication of contact having been made. Since most stores still seem to use crappy surveillence equipment that's sometimes black and white and grainy, I'm not holding my breath about discovering anything overly useful. Just hoping to get lucky. In lieu of a plate number, if I can see a vehicle make contact, then back-track into the store where the driver entered/exited and possibly used a credit card at checkout, etc... I might be able to file a police report to enable them to gain access to that charged purchase to track down the person who was driving the vehicle.

I've checked the bumper skirting and body panels for signs of scuffs or popping sounds to indicate a loose panel or fastener, but I'm not finding anything wrong. The only thing I haven't looked at are the tires/wheels. Not sure if a slow push-in to the bumper by another vehicle could cause mechanical damage without leaving evidence of a scuff or popped plastic retention clip for the skirting. Hopefully, if the CCTV footage covers the first ten spaces in front of the store, I can at least see what path vehicles around me took when coming and going, so I can get a better idea of where contact may have been made. It's also possible a vehicle parked across from my space backed into my car when leaving.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
You only get the audible BSW alert when you attempt to signal a turn when there's vehicle is in your blind spot...
Oh...then that's not what I was hearing. The car has so many audible beeps that seem to come out of nowhere that I can't keep track of them. When at a stop light alone and then proceeding to accelerate, I often get a quick chime from something near the head unit. No clue why it keeps making that noise. Not seeing any warning messages. Maybe just a glitchy head unit. The only thing I intentionally keep enabled is the blind spot function, since I'm trying to limit the number of things that can cause an alert. I thought I'd disabled the AEB for good until I realized that every time I shut off the car and restart it, AEB re-enables and I'd have to go into the menu system again to deactivate it. Not worth the hassle. Might pull the fuse on that system, if possible.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts