Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I'm leaning towards one of two vehicles having bumped into my car in that parking lot late Monday morning, since the clicking started from that point, and then 45 minutes later I got that potential collision alert with orange bar with icon that aren't mentioned in the owner's manual, leading me to believe something was damaged.
If it was a collision that had enough force to affect the operation of a solenoid in the center console then there would surely be noticeable physical damage to the exterior of the car. I doubt any of the collision warning systems are operable when the ignition switch is off so unless a sensor was physically damaged by a collision then it's unlikely the alert you're seeing has anything to do with someone hitting your car while it was unoccupied.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
If it was a collision that had enough force to affect the operation of a solenoid in the center console then there would surely be noticeable physical damage to the exterior of the car. I doubt any of the collision warning systems are operable when the ignition switch is off so unless a sensor was physically damaged by a collision then it's unlikely the alert you're seeing has anything to do with someone hitting your car while it was unoccupied.
As I said, it may not be the solenoid that was directly affected, but a component that's influenced by the energizing of the solenoid because that component might be loose due to an impact. I'll need to explore this more, but on the surface I can think of some broad ideas where if someone bumped into your car and nudged it forward while everything is "locked," that action might act upon (stress/force) certain parts to move that shouldn't, causing something to bend, break, shift, stretch, etc, creating a scenario where the orientation of that something is wrong, causing a new noise to happen when something along that chain of mechanical moton triggers movement on it.

The rear bumper actually feels very rigid and the plastic sits flat against it. Someone could have eased/bumped into the front/rear a bit and nudged MO forward/back a bit (not leaving a mark), causing a quick chain of events to unfold that damaged something. Yes, it doesn't seem possible that the solenoid could be damaged, but what if the sudden rotation of wheels tries to rotate the transaxles that try to spin within the transfer case that tries to engage the CVT that tries to move but is locked by the shifter linkage control, so the internal shifter linkage arm bends or the cable stretches or pulls away from a retention bracket (or causes said bracket to become loose) so that when the solenoid enegerizes the looseness or freeplay in that damaged part is creating the clicking noise? Seems plausible to me. I need to review the 3rd Gen service manuals to see how everything's configured. Not sure if that shifter cable linkage on the CVT housing is acting upon something electrical inside, or if it's a steel lever/part that allows the CVT to be shifted into "gear." If it's all done electronically within the housing (meaning there's no actual metal arm/lever that triggers the CVT to engage and thus potentially loosen/bend under forced stress) I'll have to switch to option B.

As for the AEB collision thing... Maybe a fluke it happened on the same day, but certainly a remote possibility that a sensor was damaged by a previous bump, and when the AEB system went into action during a close call incident, the damage to that sensor caused a glitch in the system, resulting in an unusual warning being displayed. You know that electrical problems can cause nearly all kinds of big and small things to happen. Maybe a sensor is just tweaked enough not to work 100% properly, but not damaged enough to trigger a malfunction, but damaged enough in such a way that it can possibly send a bad signal through the system during a crtical action to generate an improper reaction.

At any rate, as luck would have it, a large box truck pulled up in front of the store and blocked the view of the camera that was facing where I was parked. Of course, the footage shows me coming in and parking, then a minute later the delivery truck comes into play. Ten minutes later, that truck is gone and there are now two new vehicles around mine, one parked in front and one parked on the passenger side.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
You have an exhaustingly vivid imagination...

Reactions: Robotaz

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Foiled by the box truck! And now, time for an intermission... :coffee:

Reactions: Cryogenix1

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Finally got the AEB to activate after days of trying. This time, I wasn't trying to trigger it. While going 40 MPH behind a car that was preparing to turn right, I let MO coast torwards it and the car took forever to make the turn. Just at the moment I was about to tap the brakes, the AEB system kicked in and that entire larged-arched area at the extreme top (where the turn signals flash) illuminated orange for a split second while at the same time a faint, audible alert sounded from what seemed to be under the driver-side dash (last time, it was louder and seemed to come from the head unit area.) As the brakes were automatically applied momentarily, the triangle w/exclamation point icon appeared within the orange arch. The whole action lasted less than half a second. I noticed a box around the triangular icon.

So, my opinion of what happened last time is, just as AEB was about to activate, I had applied the brakes and swerved and slowed, perhaps instantly overriding AEB but not before it threw an incomplete alert that did not allow the correct icon to fully render, leaving just the outline of that box. The odd thing is, the arch was illuminated longer the first time, and the audible alert seemed to happen before the arch lit up.

·
Super Moderator
1,353 Posts
Finally got the AEB to activate after days of trying. This time, I wasn't trying to trigger it. While going 40 MPH behind a car that was preparing to turn right, I let MO coast torwards it and the car took forever to make the turn. Just at the moment I was about to tap the brakes, the AEB system kicked in and that entire larged-arched area at the extreme top (where the turn signals flash) illuminated orange for a split second while at the same time a faint, audible alert sounded from what seemed to be under the driver-side dash (last time, it was louder and seemed to come from the head unit area.) As the brakes were automatically applied momentarily, the triangle w/exclamation point icon appeared within the orange arch. The whole action lasted less than half a second. I noticed a box around the triangular icon.

So, my opinion of what happened last time is, just as AEB was about to activate, I had applied the brakes and swerved and slowed, perhaps instantly overriding AEB but not before it threw an incomplete alert that did not allow the correct icon to fully render, leaving just the outline of that box. The odd thing is, the arch was illuminated longer the first time, and the audible alert seemed to happen before the arch lit up.
The warning volume is the same as the Nav voice. If you have the Nav voice up high, the AEB will be louder also.

My feeling is that driver warnings should stay up for at least 1 sec with a 1 sec fade, instead of instantly disappearing.

Really, who's looking down at their dash when coming up on a traffic situation? The one's that are doing the rear ending.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The warning volume is the same as the Nav voice. If you have the Nav voice up high, the AEB will be louder also.

My feeling is that driver warnings should stay up for at least 1 sec with a 1 sec fade, instead of instantly disappearing.

Really, who's looking down at their dash when coming up on a traffic situation? The one's that are doing the rear ending.

Have a good day.
I know. It would kind of be nice to have time to see what alert triggered after it happened, since during the action period who's really looking at their gauges? It is interesting that both times that illuminated arched area instantly grabbed my attention. Possibly a bad thing. Seems to me I'd rather not be distracted by a warning light if I'm about to hit someone. I'd rather the AEB do some audible alert that cranks its volume to maximum and shouts, "wake up, jackass! - brake! brake! brake!" :D Actually, a simple "AEB engaged!" would suffice and be pretty cool. Given the age we're in, I'm disapponted this car doesn't have any personalized A.I. vocalizations for when you open/close the door, power the media center on/off, start/stop the engine, etc.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts

Have a good day.
Thank you for the tip to increase the alert volume, I'll give it a try. How'd you find that out?

The graphic display is way too short, it's gone within an eyeblink on most occasions. Although I have done something to provoke the warning less than a handful of times so far...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I know that at some point after the first AEB engagement, I pressed a lot of various buttons in various orders for various durations and played around with a lot of the settings in an attempt to reveal something hidden. I probably turned down the NAV volume.

A voice-heavy car would've made a great Seinfeld episode. I can picture George getting all worked up by the car's female voice talking to him and he goes ballistic and starts hitting the steering wheel and telling the car to shut up. :)

As for the warning duration, since the first AEB trigger was a legit "close call" that I did a few things to avoid, it's possible that while it didn't trigger 100% correctly, the warning area stayed lit longer because that other vehicle remained in front of me at a close distance instead of turning off and leaving the scene.

·
Super Moderator
1,353 Posts
Thank you for the tip to increase the alert volume, I'll give it a try. How'd you find that out?
By accident. Had the music cranked, so had the Nav voice cranked also to hear over the music. The extremely loud beep scared the crap out of me when the warning went off several days later. When the voice is a normal lever, about 50%, then the beep is loud enough to get your attention.

This may not be the case with the new Bosch head units, which controls voice and audio warnings, like the earlier Clarion head units do.

Have a good day

21 - 30 of 30 Posts