Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
114 Posts
Surprising to see they will still sell a 2022 Mo at all...Nissan is not gonna put another cent of development into it.

The longer they sell the existing model, the better future parts availability should be.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Surprising to see they will still sell a 2022 Mo at all...Nissan is not gonna put another cent of development into it.

The longer they sell the existing model, the better future parts availability should be.
And, the better it holds it's value, since the older ones look like the new ones. I'm trading in my 2017.5 SV AWD w/ tech package for a new Ford Maverick (Due to arrive in February), and the trade-in value is $200 more than I paid for it a year ago, even after I've put 12,000 more miles on it. The new truck is $32,000, and I'm getting 21,000 for the Mo, enabling me to pay cash for the new truck. I'm rather pleased about that.

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
114 Posts
You hit the market at a good spot for trade-in but the Murano is not a good resale vehicle.

Our '17 Subaru Forester (sticker price $29k, we paid $26k new) has a private party sale value of about $24k after 5 years of ownership. In comparison, our '18 Murano is probably down by $8-10k from what we paid for it as a new car after 4 years of ownership.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You hit the market at a good spot for trade-in but the Murano is not a good resale vehicle.

Our '17 Subaru Forester (sticker price $29k, we paid $26k new) has a private party sale value of about $24k after 5 years of ownership. In comparison, our '18 Murano is probably down by $8-10k from what we paid for it as a new car after 4 years of ownership.
Fortunately, I bought my Murano used with very low mileage, 25k. It still only has 35k on it, so that helps a lot. I realize the resale is terrible if you buy it new, but in the used market, I haven't lost a thing. I really like that car, but I have retired and my wife and I want to travel.

The new Maverick truck is the ideal vehicle for us. Plenty of space inside, and a bed with plenty of room for our stuff, AWD and off road package. I know I'll miss the Mo, as the V6 and CVT combo is ideal for driving in our mountainous area, where the norm is 7 to 11% grades, even on the interstates. You can't even tell you are climbing a major grade in the Mo, as it handles the mountains so gracefully.

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
114 Posts
Yup, your position on the used car price curve just worked out for you. I now buy cars for the long haul and hold them till I'm bored with them or until I want some new features like adaptive cruise. (usually 120k-150k miles)

The Maverick is brilliant but short pickup beds make no sense for me as a bicyclist or musician. I need 6', as provided by the Murano and the Foresters, to keep a bicycle without having to take off the front wheel. And music gear needs to stay inside. Small pickup beds are useful if you have just a small quantity of manure or gravel to carry, or if you like your groceries wet and windblown, or if you want stuff stolen out of the open bed.

I bought a new F100 short bed pickup in 1978 and then moved to full sized vans from 1986-2016, then down to a minivan. Ford needs to do an AWD Transit Connect, beefed up like the Maverick and Bronco Sport. If they did that as a hybrid, I'd be there when I want out of the Grand Caravan.

I am sorry to say that I'm pretty sure you will be disappointed by long trips in the Maverick--long trips are where the Mo is at its best; our Grand Caravan has similar V6 power and is also a good traveler that has taken us on many trips.

The Maverick will make a lot more noise in the cockpit and work somewhat harder. Are you getting the hybrid or the 2.0 Ecoboost?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The Ecoboost. Also 4WD, off-road, and 4k towing package. I actually found a dealer that had a demo with the off-road package (actually was their only demo; it was ordered by a customer and then not bought). It is comfortable, and reasonably quiet. I have a teardrop camper that is 1800 pounds and has electric brakes. I am afraid to pull it with the Mo, but the Maverick has a 4000 pound tow capacity, so plenty of wiggle room. We travel light, the short bed with a tonneau cover is perfect for us. It is the vehicle I've been looking for since my Mitsubishi Mighty Max truck broke down. Everything, including the Tacoma, Ranger, and Colorado are just too big. The new Ranger is much larger than the old ones were. The Maverick is a sweet spot for me. It can still carry 4x8 sheets of plywood if needed. Also, there is an optional bed extender for long items like bikes.

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
114 Posts
The Maverick is longer than my full size 1978 F100 was :) In fact, the old F100 (6.5' bed) was barely longer than the current gen Murano (somewhere between 190 and 200") but that's when trucks were not expected to have a back seat.

Big plus of the Maverick over the Mo for you is pulling the camper so for you it's a no-brainer and a great choice. Long wheelbase on the Maverick is helpful also.

My Grand Caravan will hold 4x8 sheets INSIDE out of the weather and my full size vans would eat a tall pile of 4x8's, or a queen size box spring (60" x 80"), or a 12' ladder, again fully inside with doors locked. I did a lot of Boy Scout activities with my son and was prez of a big bicycle club, so vans rule in that environment.

Good luck with the Maverick. I'm waiting for the next gen Transit Connect in AWD/4WD :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Maverick is longer than my full size 1978 F100 was :) In fact, the old F100 (6.5' bed) was barely longer than the current gen Murano (somewhere between 190 and 200") but that's when trucks were not expected to have a back seat.

Big plus of the Maverick over the Mo for you is pulling the camper so for you it's a no-brainer and a great choice. Long wheelbase on the Maverick is helpful also.

My Grand Caravan will hold 4x8 sheets INSIDE out of the weather and my full size vans would eat a tall pile of 4x8's, or a queen size box spring (60" x 80"), or a 12' ladder, again fully inside with doors locked. I did a lot of Boy Scout activities with my son and was prez of a big bicycle club, so vans rule in that environment.

Good luck with the Maverick. I'm waiting for the next gen Transit Connect in AWD/4WD :)
When we had kids in the nest, we also had a couple of Chrysler mini-vans over the years as a second car. For my personal transportation, I've always preferred compact vehicles. I'm not quite as old as dirt, but I remember when dirt was still under warranty. Just a few of what I've gone through: 64 F100, 66 Corvair Monza, Ford Maverick (car), Fiat 500 (original rear-engine toy), Mitsubishi Mighty Max (very) compact truck with a 5 1/2?a foot bed and 4WD with locking differential, several Saabs, all turbo, Mecedes 300D Turbo (2 of them), Mercury Milan Premier, various small SUVs. And my favorite crossover SUV has been the Murano. So, the Maverick truck hits the sweet spot for me, between compactness and capabillity. My car dealer friend noted that it seems I change cars more frequently than my underwear. Ha.

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
114 Posts
Nice list of vehicles...I too have been a victim of car enthusiasm and had 35+ cars...

The Mo is a comfortable cruiser that reminds me of my '98 Acura 2.5TL (similar wheelbase and length, but no kinky 5 cylinder engine)...it's a great freeway car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts