Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 LE is just over 210k KM and I’ve never done anything on the CVT.

I bought it 4 years used at 77k KM 7 years ago and when I hit 120k the guy at Mr Lube tried to sell me on transmission fluid. I called the dealer to ask if it’s been done since I wasn’t the first owner and he replied we haven’t done it, we don’t do fluid flushed on the 09 Murano cvts. He said the new fluid can actually cause issues and that an older CVT can benefit from some of the grit.

I did a bunch of research on here and a lot of people are doing drain and fills and talking about how no fluid is truly life long.

So my question, should I do it? Should I have it serviced? My last trip to MrLube, the guy there pulled my dip stick to show me it was low on and how black it was. Do I run any risk of killing the CVT?

Thanks!
Robb

·
Registered
516 Posts
I think the grit theory pertains more to conventional automatics...

The fluid level should not be low unless you have a leak somewhere, the fluid in the CVT does not get consumed like motor oil is.

I think doing a drain and fill is good insurance, especially if you drive a lot in an especially hot or hilly area. There is a fluid deterioration counter for the CVT, for what it's worth, that gets incremented when the temperature is high. A dealer can do this for you. Or get the Android app called CVTz50 off Google Play, and a Bluetooth OBD3 dongle, and it will display it for you. A figure over ~200,000 is supposed to indicate it's time to replace the CVT fluid.

Make sure they use Nissan NS2 CVT fluid, conventional automatic transmission fluid will destroy your CVT.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would

I bought it 4 years used at 77k KM 7 years ago and when I hit 120k the guy at Mr Lube tried to sell me on transmission fluid. I called the dealer to ask if it’s been done since I wasn’t the first owner and he replied we haven’t done it, we don’t do fluid flushed on the 09 Murano cvts. He said the new fluid can actually cause issues and that an older CVT can benefit from some of the grit.

I did a bunch of research on here and a lot of people are doing drain and fills and talking about how no fluid is truly life long.

So my question, should I do it? Should I have it serviced? My last trip to MrLube, the guy there pulled my dip stick to show me it was low on and how black it was. Do I run any risk of killing the CVT?

Thanks!
Robb

Thanks!
Robb
Yes, I personally would do it. I do a drain and fill every 30-60k. I have 334,000k and tow a 3500lb boat in the summers and my transmission is still going strong!!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ju
I would

Yes, I personally would do it. I do a drain and fill every 30-60k. I have 334,000k and tow a 3500lb boat in the summers and my transmission is still going strong!!!!
Just to be clear, I personally wouldn’t recommend having Mr.Lube do it and definitely wouldn’t recommend a flush. My recommendation is to do it yourself (drain/fill) and ONLY use the fluid directly from Nissan. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself I would only let Nissan do it as I wouldn’t trust anyone else not using OEM Nissan fluid.

·
Registered
134 Posts
with that many miles without a change, i'd just do a drain & fill rather than a total fluid exchange. be sure to change the external filter also. it should require ~ 5+ quarts fluid total so have 6 on hand. use only genuine Nissan ns2. this is a relatively simple & straight-forward procedure suitable for any moderately handy diy-er.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am not a handy person, but i managed to do this on my wife's Murano. Very easy to do once on Jack stands. My question is about the external filter.....what external filter?

·
Super Moderator
7,888 Posts
My advice is to do a fluid drain and refill, as well as changing any filters which are needed. I just added a new post in the MAINTENANCE sticky post section with a link to the Nicoclub.com service manuals. Please look yours up and see what is involved. I agree that a flush is probably not a great idea, just a drain and fill.

All lubricating fluid eventually wears out mechanically. "Grit" is NEVER a good thing in any lubricating fluid, period, end of statement. The very term is antithetical to the purpose of lubrication. In addition, over time fluids collect contaminants, which is part of their purpose. Changing fluids provides fresh lubricant which isn't broken down and has no contaminants.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The filter is located external on the transmission. It is on the driver's side toward the front, best accessed through the wheel well. To see what it looks like, look for a picture of the replacement part on Rockauto.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The filter is located external on the transmission. It is on the driver's side toward the front, best accessed through the wheel well. To see what it looks like, look for a picture of the replacement part on Rockauto.
I didn’t even realize there was an external filter for the transmission and have been changing my my fluid regularly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts