Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I gassed up the MO and ended up spending 30 bucks. Well, I'm a little light in the wallet so I decided to take it REALLY easy on the car and get the most out of my tank.

Well, one week of driving in DFW traffic, and I've gassed back up. My fuel average is 22.3 MPG! On top of that, I've got that with only 87 octane.

I drive 18 miles to work everyday and of course 18 miles back. I leave for work between 6 and 7am and come home at 4pm. That means I'm not in bumper to bumper traffic but there is a lot of slowing down and speeding back up. I also had significant driving on the surface roads. I made sure to not exceed the speed limit at all and kept a feather touch on the accellerator.

Right after I had gassed up, I reset the trip odometer and the fuel consumption computer. I then drove home from work and the consumption guage showed that I was getting 26.1MPG. There was little traffic on that drive and I pretty much maintained 60mph the whole way. I don't know how accurate that reading was but when I gassed up this morning, the consumption guage showed 21.9MPG. That's not too far off from reality.

While driving, I kept a feather touch on the accellerator. I didn't accellerate hard out of any stop. I was getting passed alot but it just goes to show that you CAN get good mileage out of this car if you want, and you can do it without premium.

·
5,268 Posts
Great Result!

I notice that if you are gentle with gas pedal and do not exceed 60 -65 mph the gas milage is really good. So I am not surprised with your results.

Enjoy

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Sgt_Beavis said:
While driving, I kept a feather touch on the accellerator. I didn't accellerate hard out of any stop. I was getting passed alot but it just goes to show that you CAN get good mileage out of this car if you want, and you can do it without premium.
That is exactly what you need to do in any car in order to get close to the EPA estimates. That, or turn off the engine and coast downhill the whole way! :2:

I've been quite impressed with the mileage results that several people have posted. Seems like Nissan was actually pretty close in their estimates, which is nice for a change. Granted, with my driving style I'll get MUCH less than that (when I finally get my MO), but that's the price I pay for using the performance in my opinion. I'm willing to pay the extra few bucks a tank to enjoy the whole driving experience! :roadtrip:

~ Corin

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
as jaak said, it is an entertainment expense

hehehe

I drive da heck outta mine now an still get 19.
:D

·
5,268 Posts
I guess you all are right.........entertainment expense:D

Usually I drive "economically", thought I do get "exited". Last Sunday stopped at traffic lights. Center line. On the left a kind of minivan…..on the right Q45 (actually pulled from behind me, I could sense his intentions!)……started slowly…….Q45 jumped and move left cutting me off…………so I pressed………….I saw a cloud of un-burnt fuel coming out of Q45 exhaust pipes (transmission must have done it bit)…………..man, the guy in Q was very surprised……..I kept with him till 80, which by the way came veeeeeeeeeeery quickly!

Still fuel economy is not bad, not bad at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
YMMV

I've been getting about 20 mpg since I got the MO in mid-March. I drive about 100 miles r/t to and from work, most of it on the highway (I-95/295 between Balto and DC) ususally at speeds around 75-80 mph. And I've been using either mid-grade or premium. 20-22 mpg is about what I anticpated, still pretty good I think. Should and expect any improvement as the car breaks in?

RonC

·
Registered
104 Posts
must be the NYC traffic or air or something....or maybe i just have a heavy foot. i still don't get more than 16.8 mpg. i will def go lighter on the accelerator, see if i can mimic my comrades results.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
I usually get around 16.8 too so dont feel too bad. Normally that gets me around 300 miles a fill up. The last tank I took it easy and received 17.8, but I still remember some hard driving in that tank and it lasted me til 338. I'm going to resist dogging her at all this tank and we'll see where I am in a week.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
quikkik said:
i still don't get more than 16.8 mpg. i will def go lighter on the accelerator
Yeah, that option is just not available to me. I'm not wired that way. I try to hit 100mph a few times a week. Does wonders for my blood pressure. :2: Otherwise, I'm just tooooo stressed out if I don't have open road in front of me. Touched it once on the NJ Tpk around 8A southbound coming home from being away in class in NY all week. Had the winders down and sunroof open, too. I noticed the airflow changed significantly and looked down and saw why.

I grew up as one of the famous NJ Tpk lane hoppers, but with age I have gained some patience. Now I just put the yellow shoulder line down the middle of the car and follow at a few feet back until the slowpoke moves "up or over".

·
5,268 Posts
EasternPA

you need to move to NT (Northern Territory - Australia). No speed limit out there.........no traffic..............and caps actually encourage fast driving!:D

·
Registered
145 Posts
I drive in stop & go traffic in So. Cal. I have avg 19-20 in mixed city/Freeway. I usually get 400 miles to a tank. If I go on a extended road trip I can get 425-440 per tank. I run 89 octane. I have tries 87 and didn't like the performance (slow off the line) and 91 has not either provided better economy or performance off the line. Even when hauling MT bikes on my hitch I get 18-19 on the highway and over windy mountain roads.:D

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
rugiles said:
I drive in stop & go traffic in So. Cal. I have avg 19-20 in mixed city/Freeway. I usually get 400 miles to a tank. If I go on a extended road trip I can get 425-440 per tank. I run 89 octane. I have tries 87 and didn't like the performance (slow off the line) and 91 has not either provided better economy or performance off the line. Even when hauling MT bikes on my hitch I get 18-19 on the highway and over windy mountain roads.:D
If only I could be so lucky. Do you guys live in hilly areas? Pittsburgh is cluttered with them and when I have the Fuel Economy screen on I cringe when the EST. MPG drops down below 5 which is frequent.

·
5,268 Posts
Snow MO,

having visited Pittsburgh number of times recently, I believe what kills your fuel economy are hills and the traffic.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I try to be lighted footed :roadtrip: ...I think but the best I've ever gotten is 17.3 :3: . I feel sometimes the gauge is broken. Would be nice to see 17.4 at the moment. I'm thinking of putting that Tornado thingy in my Air Intake and putting in better spark plugs and :27: ...what else, better oil? Then I will see if I can nudge up to 18. :29:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
simplesb said:
I try to be lighted footed :roadtrip: ...I think but the best I've ever gotten is 17.3 :3: . I feel sometimes the gauge is broken. Would be nice to see 17.4 at the moment. I'm thinking of putting that Tornado thingy in my Air Intake and putting in better spark plugs and :27: ...what else, better oil? Then I will see if I can nudge up to 18. :29:
You know that you are being light on the accellerator when, at takeoff from a stop, everyone else is passing you.

On longer trips, you have to keep it at or just under the speed limit. If you pass someone, let your current speed to it for you or accellerate when going down hill. Accelleration is one of your biggest gas burners.

If you are sitting, parked somewhere, shut the engine off (unless you need AC of course). I mention this because I like to eat lunch at some fast food restaurants like Chick fil a but I don't like eating inside. I just buy at the drive thru, park, and eat. I used to let the engine run and eat gas, but now I'm shutting it off.

My average mileage before I started this little test was 18.1 MPG. I always use 87 octane and the engine does just fine with it.

I'm taking a bit of a road trip today. I'm going to try and get 26 MPG today :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Snow MO said:

Do you guys live in hilly areas? Pittsburgh is cluttered with them and when I have the Fuel Economy screen on I cringe when the EST. MPG drops down below 5 which is frequent.
I live in the hilly section of PA north-north East of you (Clarion area). I agree that the hills really affect the MPG. Last tank of gas I got 19.6 MPG. I filled up on Saturday (with 89 Octane) and have been milking the MPG as best I can. I have been watching the MPG estimator display while I drive and I am currently at about 20.7 MPG. I have found that if you get the MO up to speed fairly quickly (but don't gun it) it is easier to keep the MPG in the 20 range without going too slow. Also, if you are going to be going up a hill after going down one it is best to just nudge the gas while going down the hill. I always used to just give it the gas at the bottom of the hill.

I guess I am still in the break-in period (1400 miles), so it may vary accordingly. At what mileage is a vehicle broken-in anyhow?

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Milkman,

Check your manual. I think I remember reading that 1200 miles was considered the break-in period.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
I have noticed that with more mileage (almost 10,000) I am getting better fuel economy. I am not sure if that is because I learned how to drive it conservatively or if the car is just getting better. Now I am averaging about 17.8, which is ok, but I think we can do better.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The weirdest thing, after getting my stereo installed the DTE was reset and I was driving along trying to get it back to my normal 17 mpg or so. I think I got there but not sure, but ever since Dookie pointed out to me that it said to use Premium I refilled using that, although I have used the before it never seem to make a difference. Now surprisingly I'm holding right aroudn 17.9-18.0 even while I was using the A/C during the past heat wave. I wonder if there was something tweaking with the electronic that was either fixed somehow when the stereo was installed or is now broken and displays more gas? I know, probably just coincidence, but just thought it was weird that I've driven with 89 and 92 before and never got close to 18 always 17.3, at least I know the display works.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts