Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the Reds game the other day and it's about 75 miles each way. I filled up before I left and when I returned home to my surprise the computer said I got 23.8 MPG. I still only have 2900 miles on my Murano so I'm very happy to have gotten that because everyone say's it not really broken in until about 5k miles. Every time I drive my MO I'm still happy I bought it. :cool:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Ohio Murano said:
I went to the Reds game the other day and it's about 75 miles each way. I filled up before I left and when I returned home to my surprise the computer said I got 23.8 MPG. I still only have 2900 miles on my Murano so I'm very happy to have gotten that because everyone say's it not really broken in until about 5k miles. Every time I drive my MO I'm still happy I bought it. :cool:
I heard Nissan set that display up to read 5 miles higher then it actually is. :2:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I filled up with 87 octance and got 23.2 on a 180 mile trip(80 mph) Not bad considering my Mazda Protege 5 gets 25mpg at 80 mph with a 4 cylinder and the Nissan has more power and weighs more..

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
The fuel economy display is driven by the same sensor as the odometer, which was (in my case) 3% slow. So the actual mpg is a little higher.
I don't think 150 miles is enough of a test to get good statistical data.
In my recent 7500 mile drive (Portland OR-Houston-Vienna VA-NJ-Portland), my actual computed average, using the Magellan 700 GPS trip computer mileage was 22.2, over a wide variety of speed, terrasin and driving conditions, on regular 87 octane, except for two tanks of 10% Ethanol corn gas in Iowa and Nebraska. While the corn gas was 91 octane, the mileage really went to hell (below 20) on those two tanks.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I did 22.1 MPG on my 2500 mi trip from FL to TX-OK-MO-TE-GA-FL.
5 MPH over the spped limit most of the time. (Weather dependent of course. I DO slow down in the rain)
Some mountains in there. Some city driving.
300 pounds between me and my wife, and maybe 250 pounds of "stuff".
Premium gas.
Tires at 33 all around.
Dino oil.
Measured the old fashioned way.
Fillup.
divide the Galls used into the miles driven.
OTOH the computer said 22.3. Very close IMO.
AND I have never in the recorded history of mankind ever attempted to get good mileage.
I just drive it and comment on the MPG from time to time.
Some people "should" be able to get close to 25 MPG if they did prtetty much all of the above and drove at 55-60 MPH.
Taking off from a stop light like you had an egg under the accellerator would also help.

But I didn't buy the car to get great MPG.
I would have bought a corolla if that was a concern.

I am very satisfied with the Murano's MPG.

Homer

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree 150 miles is not really far enough to get good data but I usually drive 1.8 miles to work and 1.8 miles home. So I usually only show myself getting around 14 MPG. So I was really surprised it showed so high on the trip to Cincy. I did use premium fuel it may have helped. :cool:

·
Registered
301 Posts
After refueling and driving to NYC from NJ (in moderate rush hour) for about 50 miles, the trip computer was reading 29+ mpg!!! But then the stop and go NYC traffic dropped it back to 19mpg. :3:

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Homer - Where are these "mountains" you speak of in FL to TX-OK-MO-TE-GA-FL. I think those are just hills!

Crossing Wyoming on I-80, the LOWEST point on that road is over 6500 ft. And we only crossed one mountain between Cheyenne and Laramie at about 8800 ft.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
ekaxel said:
Homer - Where are these "mountains" you speak of in FL to TX-OK-MO-TE-GA-FL. I think those are just hills!

Crossing Wyoming on I-80, the LOWEST point on that road is over 6500 ft. And we only crossed one mountain between Cheyenne and Laramie at about 8800 ft.
I did the cross country drive on I-80 through Wyoming and after filling up on 91 (at a Citgo) in Laramie, man the MO was sluggish getting back up to speed. I don't feel so bad anymore knowing it was 8800 ft!

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
ekaxel said:
except for two tanks of 10% Ethanol corn gas in Iowa and Nebraska. While the corn gas was 91 octane, the mileage really went to hell (below 20) on those two tanks.
Hmm.. I did not know that Ethanol does not do anything good to your milage. I am using only BP gas, and I think they always puting 10% ethanol in it. Should I switch to something else to improve my milage????

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I always thought 10% Ethanol content gas was standard across the country, and in areas where its sold, you cannot buy gas without ethanol. Ethanol is used as an oxygenate to reduce evaporative emissions and I think studies have shown it reduces overall fuel economy by something like 5%. Most cars can run 10% EtOH just fine, but E-85, which is 85% EtOH and 15% gasoline, requires a special engine to run.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I took a 240 mile trip from Boston to NYC back in April using 91 octane gas and averaged 22 mpg to NYC, and 24 mpg back to Boston.

Just this past weekend, I took the same 240 mile trip using 87 octane, but using A/C the entire trip. I averaged 19 mpg down to NYC and 20 back to Boston. There was also more highway traffic where we would be going 75, then brake to 60, then later back to 75, etc.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Ekaxel, Stop!

Don't go on Jeopardy!

Missouri, Georgia and Tennessee include The Ozark, Smokie, Blue Ridge, and Nantahala mountains. THere are probably others. These are justthe ones I drove thru.
I also drove right thru the middle of the Arbuckle mountains in OK and didn't notice it.

I was getting something like 17-18 MPG during this time.

I did manage to miss the mountains in both Florida and Louisiana. :D

When we are talking about mountains or men, we are talking about certain features.
We do not have to get into the "Mine is bigger than yours".;)

BTW, TE has a peak that is 6643 ft above Sea Level. TE doesn't blieve in Gurad rails. Very few were sighted. That's a long way down. Could dent your MO.

In point of fact all you need to screw up your MPG are a lot of hillls of a 1000 feet.

I am used to other people having a better car than me. ;)
I had a VW Beetle one time
I got generally about 26-28 MPG.
"Everybody" else got 30-35MPG.
They all had a better VW than me.
Or...........

Homer

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
It was not my intention to get into a pissing contest over some mountains. Yes, there are mountains in the southeast/central, but the altitude of the roads that pass thruogh them is quite low.
Jeopardy fact. The highest point in the state of Florida is just a little over 400 feet.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Whoa.
Calm down.
I meant no harm.

Homer

J

·
0 Posts
ekaxel said:
It was not my intention to get into a pissing contest over some mountains. Yes, there are mountains in the southeast/central, but the altitude of the roads that pass thruogh them is quite low.
Jeopardy fact. The highest point in the state of Florida is just a little over 400 feet.
Right as I crossed the Fla state line last weekend in our Mo (just south of Florala, AL), there was a sign pointing to turn Right down a road stating "Florida's highest elevation: 340ft"... (it was 340-something, don't remember exactly.

It was a state sign... wonder what it really is.

On another note... we now have about 2500 miles on our Mo. Still getting fairly poor milage... we managed 23 mpg on the way to Fla (from TN) and only got 20 coming back (same route). And driving with our group of people... the average speed was only 70, so no >2k rpm for the most part. Hopefully it'll get a lil' better in time to come. I just hate always being in the mid 14 mpg like normal... but I guess thats what I gotta deal with when towing often. :cool:

·
136 Posts
The variation in actual mileage and MPG readout between listers seems excessive. After 5300 miles I have consistently gotten 23.2-24.2 MPG and the readout error is a few tenths(Checked over 5-6 fillups)

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
vfr said:
The variation in actual mileage and MPG readout between listers seems excessive. After 5300 miles I have consistently gotten 23.2-24.2 MPG and the readout error is a few tenths(Checked over 5-6 fillups)
Ditto that, but it might be affected by speedometer accuracy, as I know some are quite far off, but mine is pretty much dead on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
mpg

2 days ago, going to New Orleans from Dallas, I got 20.9 mpg doing about 80-85 mph. That's what I average in the city. I was hoping for a little more highway mileage but maybe it was my fault for haullin butt. I'll have about 5000 miles on it when I get back to Dallas on Tuesday.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Gas mileage

Ours has dropped a bit. Used to be 24 and some change. But now we get 23.5 and sometimes a bit more. Probably due to higher speeds we drive. Maybe also the Toyo Proxes have something to do with it. They leave a wider footprint so may be creating some additional friction. Premium gas helps noticeably. Darrell. :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts