Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Get up to your speed and hit cruise. That's about all there is to it. :)

I don't suggest using it going up hills though.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yea going west against the wind I got 21.2 and coming back east I got 24.2. But its good to see other people have had better or about the same results. And I must agree, the more mileage I add to the MO the better MPG i get. When I first got the MO I was only getting 13.2 mpg city and I only had 33,000 miles on it. i now have 35,400 and Im getting better MPG on.

My trip was a 396 mile trip one way and back. I got there in about 8 hours from nyc. I got back east in less than 7 hours. I really think wind had much to do with it. Also on my way there I felt like I did more climbing than coming back. I also used my Cruise control and kept it at 75-80 going and coming. So all these factors I believe helped me get this mpg.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Here is something interesting. I have been using cruise control since 1977, and I have always found on the highway I could get better gas mileage with the cruise set than with me trying to maintain a constant speed. Sometimes 2 - 3 mpg difference.

But recently I was reading an article on increasing your gas mileage, and the author suggested not using cruise. His explanation is that going up hills uses more fuel with the cruise, and that going downhill the cruise causes engine braking, which also uses more fuel. I beg to differ because I live in WV where all our roads are either up or down hills. I still do much better setting the cruise at 70 and leaving it there than I do trying to maintain the 70 mph speed myself.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Here is something interesting. I have been using cruise control since 1977, and I have always found on the highway I could get better gas mileage with the cruise set than with me trying to maintain a constant speed. Sometimes 2 - 3 mpg difference.

But recently I was reading an article on increasing your gas mileage, and the author suggested not using cruise. His explanation is that going up hills uses more fuel with the cruise, and that going downhill the cruise causes engine braking, which also uses more fuel. I beg to differ because I live in WV where all our roads are either up or down hills. I still do much better setting the cruise at 70 and leaving it there than I do trying to maintain the 70 mph speed myself.
I'm with you....that sounds like a whole lotta BS. Cruise or not, going downhill in gear with engine braking uses NO fuel whatsoever. The fuel injectors shut off and the engine runs on compression only. As for uphill, I can't say...maybe cruise is more aggressive on the throttle going up hill?...I don't know, but it still sounds a bit off to me.

·
Super Moderator
7,735 Posts
Get up to your speed and hit cruise. That's about all there is to it. :)

I don't suggest using it going up hills though.
I use cruise going up and down steep hills all the time. Works great! The cruise system in the Murano holds speed really well. That's MUCH more important to me than .5 MPG.

I don't use it in heavy traffic, but I darn sure use it on multi-lane roads in light traffic.

I'm with you. This is at best car-specific, and I'm much more inclined to simply say that it's pure BS. The engine braking is pure BS with no reservations!! The only way you avoid engine braking is to shift into neutral and let the engine idle while going down hills, which reduces your control of the vehicle and is plain unsafe.

And gas mileage isn't the only consideration with cruise. When you're in Wyoming like you, or Colorado like me, the reduction in driver fatigue from using cruise control over a 5+ hour trip is immense! That makes me less tired, more alert, and a safer driver.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use cruise going up and down steep hills all the time. Works great! The cruise system in the Murano holds speed really well. That's MUCH more important to me than .5 MPG.

I don't use it in heavy traffic, but I darn sure use it on multi-lane roads in light traffic.

I'm with you. This is at best car-specific, and I'm much more inclined to simply say that it's pure BS. The engine braking is pure BS with no reservations!! The only way you avoid engine braking is to shift into neutral and let the engine idle while going down hills, which reduces your control of the vehicle and is plain unsafe.

And gas mileage isn't the only consideration with cruise. When you're in Wyoming like you, or Colorado like me, the reduction in driver fatigue from using cruise control over a 5+ hour trip is immense! That makes me less tired, more alert, and a safer driver.
Good tips from u & the rest of the guys. Thanks

·
Registered
686 Posts
The reason I suggest not to use it on hills I suppose is personal preference.

I will turn it off while going flat or downhilll to gain extra speed before hitting the up hill. As I go up I'll start to slow down but try to reach the top at the same speed I was going before turning CC off.

I also like to turn it off half the time going down hill so I get a little extra speed for free.

·
Super Moderator
7,735 Posts
As I go up I'll start to slow down but try to reach the top at the same speed I was going before turning CC off.
Which is exactly what cruise control does.

Hey, everyone has their own styles.

What I find is that when I set the cruise and leave it on, I pass about 80% of all the traffic on the road. Why? because even if they go a bit faster downhill and slower uphill, their average speed is slower. I generally set the cruise 4 MPH above the speed limit on these western highways and leave it there.

When I'm headed out on a trip like the 700-mile drive from here to SW Oklahoma in two weeks, a few MPH average makes a difference in elapsed trip time.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My mother was raised in Wyoming in the 20's & 30's and always told me you could make it from one end of the state to the other in a day & a couple six packs of beer !

·
Registered
45 Posts
My mother was raised in Wyoming in the 20's & 30's and always told me you could make it from one end of the state to the other in a day & a couple six packs of beer !
She is right. Just something I would suggest doing without the beer nowadays. Not because u will be drunk but because if u get stopped mannn! Lol

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My only gripe is that our CRUISE has no SET light on the dash.

·
Super Moderator
7,735 Posts
My only gripe is that our CRUISE has no SET light on the dash.
In my 07 the Cruise-turned-on light is WAY too bright, and there is a second bright light that comes on when it's engaged. I'm considering gluing a piece of colored lighting gel over the lens above those lights to reduce their brightness.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I've never seen a car, ok our 01 Beetle doesnt have ANY cruise light at all, that didn't have a set light on the cruise. It's not a HUGE deal, but would be nice.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Which is exactly what cruise control does.
True but it has to over compensate on larger hills and will rev up to 2800-3000 for a little while which is defintely using more gas.

I'm mainly talking when you want to save gas.

I gain some speed before the hill then continue pressing the gas the same amount and will slow down about 5 less than I started when getting to the top but never having to rev over 2k.

Now when I'm in a hurry or don't care about saving gas... different story. :toothless

21 - 40 of 44 Posts