Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried out this size (255/55 18)? It seems to be a good tire size replacement to oem and with lots of tire choices.

·
5,244 Posts
The sidewall would be 1/2 inch lower, meaning tire diameter is 1 inch smaller. Speedo reading 3.3% too fast.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I'm pretty sure you would not notice any difference other than the incorrect speedometer reading (3% isn't that great a difference). However, with 1 " total shorter sidewall, you would lose 1/2" ground clearance, again not a big deal unless you find yourself scraping that CVT scoop on the parking dividers often.

I admit I have been seriously considering this size too, since there are many more good tires in this size. An alternative to this would be the 1% taller size 265/60/18.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Although the Goodyears on mine are still OK (22K miles) when I replace them I'm going with 260/60/18.

·
5,244 Posts
Gonzo,
you will not have many choices at this size. Most of them are SUV/Light truck type tires, in my opinion not suitable for Murano.

The best would be Bridgestone Potenza 265/60 - 18. I have this tires on the FX and they are great - nice quiet ride, good cornering, braking. And they should last at least 40k on Murano. I expect to get 30K + on FX, though remember FX is heavier and my wife DOES HAVE A LEAD FOOT!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Kris, I didn't realize. I really liked that size because I just wanted something slightly wider without affecting the odo. Perhaps when its time there will be a better selection.

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Unfortunately the RE92's are average in rain and horrid in snow, from everything I've read. The WRX crowd universally criticize the stocker RE92's on their cars, but I think given the Murano's performance limits, they are probably just fine in dry weather. In the 255/55/18 size, the Dunlop SP5000 appears to be an okay choice too. although it has an aggressive tread pattern and might not be good in snow either. Unfortunately the choices for tires in any size for the Murano are very very limited.

·
5,244 Posts
Eric,

I know that WRX folks criticize RE92. But I also know that I put 24k miles on them in FX and had absolutely no problems. Neither in rain nor snow (yes, it snowed in Atlanta, once!). Though I would not comment on their snow capabilities. Not enough experience. I believe they are better than GDY. At least it is my feeling and experience.
I do not trust Tire Rack ratings. They are completely opposite to what I experienced.

If I had to get new tires right now I would most likely go with OEM GDY. Bridgestone would be my second choice – only because they are 265 and I do not like tires sticking out of the wheel wells.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Kris said:
Eric,

I know that WRX folks criticize RE92. But I also know that I put 24k miles on them in FX and had absolutely no problems. Neither in rain nor snow (yes, it snowed in Atlanta, once!). Though I would not comment on their snow capabilities. Not enough experience. I believe they are better than GDY. At least it is my feeling and experience.
I do not trust Tire Rack ratings. They are completely opposite to what I experienced.

If I had to get new tires right now I would most likely go with OEM GDY. Bridgestone would be my second choice – only because they are 265 and I do not like tires sticking out of the wheel wells.
Point taken. Its truly a shame that there are no better tires for the Murano, even though the car has been sold for nearly 3 years now.

·
5,244 Posts
Yes, I wish we could get Michelin....

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Kris said:
Yes, I wish we could get Michelin....
I wish we could get a Michelin CAR tire! The Cross Terrain looks a little blocky to me, which means its likely a highway tire and will squeal in corners.

·
5,244 Posts
You are right Eric, I should have been more precise: Michelin car tires!

Especially after their successes in F1 this year...........I do not like it but respect what they have done. It will definitely trickle to everyday tires...

·
Registered
133 Posts
we were traveling last week Saw a Murano with 255's up close. Looks lousy compared with our Toyo Proxes ST's Doesn"t fill out fender but looks like somebody put air shocks on car. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts