Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I struggled with the appropriate place to put this info. Not really off topic or General off topic. It did have to do with the 3.5 engine but in this case it was my Altima. I am sharing this here simply because we have the same engine in the MO.
I had a s-l-o-w as can be coolant leak with a drip here and a drop there. It drove me crazy because I could go a week without any dripping and then get 4 or 5 drips on the garage floor in one night.
I was baffled as the drips were from that god forsaken backside of the engine that is never seen up by the firewall.
One night in determination I waited in the garage and saw the green drop form as I caught it in the flashlight as I inspected the underside of the car. It formed on the exhaust pipe and then made it to the garage floor. I threw a aluminum foil plate to capture it and make sure it was coolant. The next day I had about 5 drips in the plate.
The dealer said a coolant line on the backside had a drip and the tech replaced the gasket. The service order said 2 gaskets and I wonder if this was a rubber hose or aluminum pipe of some sort.
I never did get to speak to the tech that fixed it. I assume it was a gasket on the engine block because it was covered on warranty.
I am sharing simply because this may crop up in the MO at some point. It was covered under the 5 year/60K miles and that was a relief. If you ever get the mystery drops. Have the tech check for the bad gasket on the coolant line on the dark side of the engine that we can never see.
bob1

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
That's a good tip. Thanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts