Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, coming out of a 360-cubic-inch gas swilling Dodge Durango, I couldn't wait to put the Murano into some snow. Had three-inches of snow, plus below-freezing temps. this weekend in West "By God" Virginia. I have to tell ya, the damned Murano did quite well. Took it out in the country yesterday to Flat Run, by the Fairmont #9 mine disaster memorial -- quite a few boys out there in orange, walking into the woods, decked out in orange for a little deer hunting. Every one of these guys driving an old Ford, Chevy or Dodge pickup. Looking at me coming by in the black Murano, I am sure they were scratching their heads saying, "What in the hell is that thing?" - Jim

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I live in central Illinois and we had some light snow a couple days ago. You would not believe how many accidents I witnessed driving on the highway - to my amazement the most frequent accident vehicle I saw was a Dodge Durango. Two were spun out facing the wrong way on the shoulder. One had a smashed side and caved in hood, from a rollover.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm not surprised! I live in the Montreal Canada area and we do get a bit of snow up here. Most vehicles I see spun out in the ditch are 4x4's. I would say the majority of 4x4/awd owners think their vehicle is slip proof and because it is a 4x4/awd, will do anything. Reality is, acceleration from a complete stop is much better but braking and regular driving is about the same as a 2wd vehicle. Keep this in mind when driving on those slippery roads, it may save your life.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yup... those Big SUV crashes aren't necessarily because of the truck's flaws. Drivers think they're indestructible in those things and drive accordingly.

I had a 4x4 Exploder Sport and occasionally put her into 4-wheel for snow. Took it slow and I never had a problem, and I went through some deep stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Snowride said:
I'm not surprised! I live in the Montreal Canada area and we do get a bit of snow up here. Most vehicles I see spun out in the ditch are 4x4's. I would say the majority of 4x4/awd owners think their vehicle is slip proof and because it is a 4x4/awd, will do anything. Reality is, acceleration from a complete stop is much better but braking and regular driving is about the same as a 2wd vehicle. Keep this in mind when driving on those slippery roads, it may save your life.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hell, I remember driving a front wheel drive Mazda 626 over interstate 68 in Maryland through several feet of snow. I just took it slow, kept the wheels turning. Off to the side, many 4X4's. People think they have 4WD, they can go through anything. Trouble is... ice is ice. 4WD or 2WD -- you hit ice and an unreasonable speed -- buh bye! - Jim

·
Registered
74 Posts
ICE

Just drove the Mo on Ice covered bridges here in Indiana. Lots of accidents with cars and trucks hitting the black ice. My MO seemed to warn me of the black ice. Don't really know why (maybe the traction control?) but when ever I hit ice I would feel differences in all 4wheels like alight braking or releasing. Can't explain but it definitely warned me to slow down. I am used to black ice here on the bridges and overpasses and I can tell you that I have never experienced this feeling before. Did not feel like it was the usual slipping tire. maybe someone else can explain.
Randy

·
Registered
243 Posts
Do you have VDC, that has some gee-wiz technology that will help with tracction in countless ways, including selective wheel braking.

When getting my MO, VDC was a MUST HAVE.

·
Registered
74 Posts
VDC

CVeeT,
I definitely have the VDC. I think that must be it. Whatever it does it is one cool piece of the pie.
Randy

·
4,664 Posts
It's probably the TC not the VDC... The VDC would kick in when you start to slide sideways, from my experience of Nissan TC and my understanding and friends experiences of VDC.

One friend, who's a little nuts, took his Maxima out on a freshly laid gravel road, got up to about 40 miles an hour and cranked the steering wheel violently back and forth, to try and spin the car. He said the VDC worked really well. Fortunately for him, in additon to being nuts, he's an amazing driver.

Snow? Murano's look good in snow.... :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
jimb said:
Hell, I remember driving a front wheel drive Mazda 626 over interstate 68 in Maryland through several feet of snow. I just took it slow, kept the wheels turning. Off to the side, many 4X4's. People think they have 4WD, they can go through anything. Trouble is... ice is ice. 4WD or 2WD -- you hit ice and an unreasonable speed -- buh bye! - Jim
I live in Colorado, and I am very used to driving in the snow....
In defense of 4WD Drivers - Nobody notices when a car is off the road, but everybody takes note when they see an 4WD in the ditch. Also, I am so surprised at how many of my 4WD friends won't engage their 4WD until conditions are absolutely horrible. Of course, this means they are essentially driving a REAR wheel drive vehicle.

That's one great thing about the MO, it's front wheel drive, which by itself is great and is almost as good as 4wd in my opinion.

The big problem is not snow, but rather it's ice !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts