Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK it's been a real bad week. First last week I was trying to park at night and didnt see the low bike rack connected to the other cars trailer hitch and I hit it. The damage was very minimal and you could barely see it, so I was happy. Then two days ago I'm driving home from work and the car in front of me throws up a big piece of debris and it hits my MO and scratches it all up near the right fog light. Then the big one...early this morning I was drivin home from a night out with friends and I dozed off for just a second and hit a curb!!! Ouch!!! Two flat tires :( Mo is at the tire shop now. Hopefully this is the end of my string of bad luck. I'm just glad I wasn't or more importantly no one else was hurt.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
:(

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Just be glad you didn't hit people.

Sometimes things come in threes.
Can't explain it, it just happens.

But I would like to point out that when you are out partying and have an accident on the way home, it's not really "luck" that caused it.

Homer

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
thats terrible man. I hope that your bad streak is over too. I know what it is like dozing off. I've been working so many late hours lately that almost every night I have to put the windows down and let the cold air hit me to keep me awake. Otherwise I'm afraid I will fall asleep.

I also need to put a warning above the seat heater buttons stating:
WARNING: Warm seats have been known to cause comfortable drowsy drivers. Use at your own risk.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Damn Bro...........

did the rims suffer much damage?? I can imagine that they were bent up pretty good. Sorry for your mishaps, but next time you feel tired -pull over. It could have been worse.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One rim just has about a two inch gash in the edge...other than that it is ok. I wasnt really feelin tired till I was like 5 mins from my house and this happened like two blocks from my house otherwise I would have pulled over if I had a while to drive still. I just keep thinkin it could have been worse.

·
4,601 Posts
The falling asleep one I'd say is good luck, not bad luck...

I fell asleep in my 1972 Newport (the $100 Student vehicle) when I was 21 and driving home from my girlfriends place. 3 in the morning, empty highway. Fell asleep in the centre lane, woke up in the curb lane at 70 MPH. Now if I'm tired, I just don't drive. I was so freaked out, there's no way I would have fallen asleep again. I never repeated that. Ended up having breakfast with her every time after that, and driving to school or work from her place.

I joke that the Newport probably would have plowed through anything anyway, but did that scare the heck out of me!

Still miss that old land yacht... It was a two door. Each door was five and a half feet long!

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
That is some scary stuff. When I was much younger, I fell asleep a number of times on the way home. Not after partying, I was too young to drink. I was just up! First time I woke up heading for a grove of trees. Other memorable times include being seconds away from hitting an abandoned beetle, halfway off the shoulder of a highway resulting in a left-handed 180 and hitting the median with the right rear corner, coming up on a caddy at over 80, and the worst was coasting from the right lane into the left lane and climbing the left two wheels up the concrete median. I had a real problem where I would fall asleep and instantly dream that I was driving.

I remember telling my best friend at the time that when you fight it and fight it and finally fall asleep, it is the most relaxing sleep you've ever felt. Sure enough, when driving from Orlando back to Daytona Beach (definitely after partying that night) he fell asleep. I remember just suddenly feeling the car like floating.. like it wasn't under control anymore as we glided into the fast lane. I woke him up and he agreed that it really was the deepest sleep he's experienced in a long time.

An ex-gf of mine fell asleep and crashed into the outer wall on the span of the George Washington Bridge. Now THAT must have been scary!

·
4,601 Posts
Well, good to know we all got to wake up!

That really is scary.... Now think of all the truck drivers on the highway and how many of them push it this far.

The highways around here now have a rumble strip on the edge so if you drift into the shoulder it makes a heck of noise to wake people. I guess there's been enough accidents from people snoozing to make it worthwhile.

Not good when your eyes go from (Z) (Z) to (X) (X) ! (Cartoon humour...)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well bad things happen in 3's, so you are probably good for a while. Good thing you are ok and didnt hurt anyone else. Being tired and driving is probably worse then driving drunk.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I don't know how the law sees it in you area but here in Quebec, the law does not call for drunk driving but rather driving with lessen (weakened?) faculties. This is a criminal offense. So, whether you are drunk, tired, stoned, or under medication, you were wrong to take you car and you will be fined.

I have seen someone who fell asleep causing an accident, being delivered a ticket at the hospital, plus the insurances won't pay since you are criminally responsible.

·
4,994 Posts
What we need now are sleep-o-meters and cops running around stopping drivers and testing them for tiredness. GRIP :2:

·
Registered
416 Posts
SIM - how does the Quebec law enforcement prove "Tiredness" or "stoned"?....Breathalizers show alcohol content in the blood (.08). Is there a recognized test / level for THC in the blood? Just asking for general info...not for any personal reasons...How would you prove falling asleep??

·
Registered
741 Posts
Usually is a confession under stress obtained by the police. If the police suspects that you are stoned, they have the right to ask for a blood sample to be analyzed. You have the right to refuse if you're awake but if you refuse, you are almost automatically considered guilty. Since this is not well known by most people, they usually admit falling asleep and learn the hard way...

·
4,994 Posts
Sounds like a form of entrapment. But then I dislike much of any type of this stuff, anyway. Down here the police want to stay away from contact as much as possible, so you get you picture in the mail, (so far not me) we have radars at most intersections looking for red light runners, as well as speeders. We have many radar vans hiding in the bushes plus permanent installation in the medians. Minimum speeding ticket is $110 and a Traffic light will cost you $150. They have announced that they are going to emplace radar on the freeway in this city, they are not up yet.

If you look at any patrol car they all have radar, some with laser. Also all are laptop computer equipped and they routinely do a license check as they are cruising around. I don't know the cop to resident ratio but it must be high.

Big Brother IS HERE! GRIP :D

·
4,601 Posts
Things are a little different law wise, in Quebec, compared to the rest of Canada.... The legal system works differently. The British were trying to be nice after they beat the French by letting them retain certain things.

I agree, sounds like entrapment.

I doubt the laws were meant to be enforced that way. In 1985, I got a parking ticket at a meter in Montreal. I came back, there was still half an hour on the meter and I was legally parked. But I had an Ontario plate... Unfortunately, there's a handful of idiots that make the rest of the great people of Quebec, look bad. I suspect many of them are same people that refer to Quebec as a Nation. A number of them are police. (Many of them are Language Police! How's that for a ridiculous job!)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Can you imagine telling your boss that you can't make it for work 'cause you are too tired to drive? Would the cops give you a note saying that?

·
4,601 Posts
My favourite was calling in "Well" one day. I phoned up my Boss and said "I feel great, I won't be in today."

I also told him on another occasion, when I had a company car, that if I won a lottery, I'll call him up and tell him to get his car out of my driveway... :19:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts