Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the 30 thousand mile service over the weekend. The oil change was at no charge, but the remainder of the work performed, and labor, ran in excess of $400.00. Interestingly, I asked them to look at the rotors because they felt warped (since they would have to disassemble the brakes for the maintenance) and after a test drive they confirmed the rotors warped (again...2nd time). They turned the rotors under warranty. Since I had everything disassembled I had them replace the pads as well at an extra charge in excess of $80.00, but they did not charge for labor for the pad replacement.

I have to say that after the servicing the MO runs, and stops, MUCH better and feels new again. Now I just need to wash it to make it LOOK new again.

I also wanted to take a no charge service loaner for the day but didn't have one available so they covered the cost of a rental.

I am pretty happy with the Service at Victory Nissan in Gaithersburg, MD.

:2:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
What exactly to you get for 400 bucks?
I have little trust in these so called 30/60/90 thousand mile services.
My experience is that words like we CHECK this and that are of no use. Now if the dealer said we REPLACE your fuel filter and air filter, we FLUSH your cooling system and CHANGE your oil and ADJUST your parking brake. You get my idea of service, you actually get something. Most of these services say, we check everything.....yeah, right! I say they change the oil and charge 400 bucks.
Sorry, I'm not sold on ANY of their claims. This is not picking on Nissan, I'm talking the entire industry. I am also very aware they try to get you come in on Schedule-1 maintainence. That is if your towing trailers, driving on dirt roads or you sit all day in bumper to bumper traffic.

Now if you tell me otherwise, I'll back off my statement or if anyone else would disagree, I'll tip my hat and yield the floor. I have been burned too many times and my trust is shot.

I now see an add at Meinike (sp) Muffler. Oil change and tire rotation for 19.95. I think I smell a rat because they say they will check your balance as they rotate the tires. Let me guess, Oh yeah all 4 tires needed balancing at 7.50 or something per tire. We will just add that 30 bucks to your 19.95 oil change. I'm going to check that out and report.
I'm just a cynacle SOB that has been burned once too many.
Bob1
:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Well for $320, I would expect:

Oil and filter change
Change air filter
Coolant flush
CVT fluid change
Differential service
Cabin air filter change
Rotate tires
Little extras like vacuum interior, refill wiper solvent tank

$80 to replace the front pads seems downright cheap, but I guess if they had to remove the rotor to resurface them, no labor is involved in installing new pads.

bob1 I agree with you, any dealership "inspection" is usually a ripoff - they don't really check anything and if they do, wow what a coincidence, that part needs replacing!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Eric. find me the dealer that will do that for 320.....I'll be there. HA!

Bob

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I'd actually peg a CVT service to be $150-200, given the expensive CVT fluid, Nissan charges something like $15/qt for that stuff (its a synthetic fluid made just for the CVT).

Here is what I think is "reasonable" for the dealership price:

Oil and filter change $35
Change air filter $25 (yeah I know...)
Coolant flush $100
CVT fluid change $200
Differential service $100
Cabin air filter change $50
Rotate tires $30
Little extras like vacuum interior, refill wiper solvent tank $free

Total: $540

Of course you could do all these services at home (except for the CVT flush) for about 1/5th the cost.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Service

On the subject of Maintenance Service, I am taking mine in on Monday for Oil Change and Tire Rotation. By Monday I should have @7500 miles on the Mo. If I recall that is the only thing on the 7500 mile service. When I told them that I wanted my tires rotated, the service manager asked if they would need to be balanced? I stated if they need to be then balance them. Is re-balancing the tires on rotation normal or am I being scammed. It sounds reasonable to me, but I wanted to get some trusted opinions. I'm also having them look at the window rattle and drivers seat. The rattle has gotten out of control and I can now duplicate it anytime I want by simply pressing anywhere on the door panel just below the bottom of the window.

·
Registered
522 Posts
No reason to rebalance the tires unless you are having some sort of problem.

And incidentally, just had my oil changed at my local Chevron Oil Stop place, and they do in fact now cary Nissan NS-2 fluid for doing CVT fluid changes.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
MightyMo said:
No reason to rebalance the tires unless you are having some sort of problem.

And incidentally, just had my oil changed at my local Chevron Oil Stop place, and they do in fact now cary Nissan NS-2 fluid for doing CVT fluid changes.
Wow really? I believe you, but find it surprising a quickie lube would have CVT oil thats only used in the Murano (and not in any other vehicle).

·
Registered
719 Posts
Eric L. said:

Wow really? I believe you, but find it surprising a quickie lube would have CVT oil thats only used in the Murano (and not in any other vehicle).
My oil change placetold me the same thing, we've got all the fluids. Whe I challenged the service technician specifically what he knew about CVT's and how to service them, he backed off really quickly and admitted he was mistaken.

I'd check that claim our VERY, VERY carefully, before I'd let them touch the CVT. OTOH, you could let them change the fluid and then when it blows up they'd owe you a new one!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Oh I assure you, when he said I should change the "ATF" fluid I started to give him a ration of ****, and he smiled and pulled the bottle and showed me. Shocked the heck outta me they would stock something so exclusive and expensive.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Eric L.

I'll stick with my price and exclusions. My Local service guy has the Fluid, I just called at 8:AM this morning and he said I'll give you the empty bottle for proof.

I think the Dealer's think they have a lock on stuff so the prices are high. I could make a letter from my Service Spot, (who specializes in MB) stating what was done, with a date, Address, Phone, Business license# and Signature place for both of us, and I think there is no way I wouldn't be good to go. GRIP:D All that left over loot will buy more accessories! :2:

·
Registered
758 Posts
MightyMo

Thank you for your response to my question. I'll make sure and tell them not to rebalance until I drive the vehicle and determine if anything needs to be done. I'm sure I'll know rather quickly as I already had an issue with the balancing right after buying the Murano.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Re: Eric L.

GripperDon said:
I'll stick with my price and exclusions. My Local service guy has the Fluid, I just called at 8:AM this morning and he said I'll give you the empty bottle for proof.

I think the Dealer's think they have a lock on stuff so the prices are high. I could make a letter from my Service Spot, (who specializes in MB) stating what was done, with a date, Address, Phone, Business license# and Signature place for both of us, and I think there is no way I wouldn't be good to go. GRIP:D All that left over loot will buy more accessories! :2:
I was quoting "dealer" ripoff prices. Of course a local independent mechanic would likely charge less (and do a much better job). Thats why I've never been to the dealer for non warranty service, ever! :D

There are few rare finds in the world as an honest independent mechanic. I found one in SF and my family has been taking our cars to this guy for over 10 years now. He only fixes what needs to be fixed, and never overcharges, at times even scolding me for "overmaintaining" the Maxima. :p

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Eric

You have a true gem, Nurture him. WOW someone you can relie on. (other than a wife that is) GRIP :D

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Re: Eric

GripperDon said:
You have a true gem, Nurture him. WOW someone you can relie on. (other than a wife that is) GRIP :D
Yep, one in a million indeed.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Ok this is ridiculous. I am at 32K and trying to get my 30K maintenance (or what Nissan calls Major Service) done but it is very pricy. I have prices ranging $529 to $749 from different dealers for what it appears to be no more than an oil change, air filter change, tire rotation and a bunch of checks. The schedule calls for automatic transmission oil change/flush too and differential/Transfer case service but according to the dealers those do not apply to the Murano.

So I am going to have the dealer change the oil for me, and in the process check the CVT fluid and other things they normally check during that process. Then take the car home and change the air filter myself, rotate the tires, and then get under the car and look at the axle booths and whatnot.

What am I going to risk by doing this myself?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
zebelkhan said:
Ok this is ridiculous. I am at 32K and trying to get my 30K maintenance (or what Nissan calls Major Service) done but it is very pricy. I have prices ranging $529 to $749 from different dealers for what it appears to be no more than an oil change, air filter change, tire rotation and a bunch of checks. The schedule calls for automatic transmission oil change/flush too and differential/Transfer case service but according to the dealers those do not apply to the Murano.

So I am going to have the dealer change the oil for me, and in the process check the CVT fluid and other things they normally check during that process. Then take the car home and change the air filter myself, rotate the tires, and then get under the car and look at the axle booths and whatnot.

What am I going to risk by doing this myself?
If you observe proper safety when arranging your jack and jackstands, you risk nothing. You might as well just change the oil yourself too since you'll be putting the car up to rotate the tires too. You can also do a break inspection at the same time too, the service manual has everything you need to know.

You can always take the car to an independent shop (I like Tak's Auto Service in San Francisco, since you live in the Bay Area) that will probably do: oil change, air filter, coolant flush, rotate tires, and check everything for about $300 (or less).

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I was thinking to do that but then I have to take a day off to go there, unless they are open on Saturday. I will call them. Is this the one?

Tak's Auto Service
280 14TH St
San Francisco, CA 94103-2420
(415) 861-8257

I want the dealer to do the oil change (and they owe me a free one anyway) because I want the car to go through their checklist, which should include CVT oil check, drive belts, and other fluids. Then I do the rest myself. I used to be a mechanic so I will be careful, but what I meant by "risking" was not safety wise, but more from warranty stand point. If I do the work myself all I will have in terms of proof would be a recipt for the air filter. Is that enough?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
zebelkhan said:
I was thinking to do that but then I have to take a day off to go there, unless they are open on Saturday. I will call them. Is this the one?

Tak's Auto Service
280 14TH St
San Francisco, CA 94103-2420
(415) 861-8257

I want the dealer to do the oil change (and they owe me a free one anyway) because I want the car to go through their checklist, which should include CVT oil check, drive belts, and other fluids. Then I do the rest myself. I used to be a mechanic so I will be careful, but what I meant by "risking" was not safety wise, but more from warranty stand point. If I do the work myself all I will have in terms of proof would be a recipt for the air filter. Is that enough?
Thats the one.

If you keep receipts of all the parts you installed, you should have no problem if you need to get something repaired under warranty.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I use a regular shop for stuff like that. I do bring the specs for all fluids I want them to change just to ensure they use the right stuff/weight/spec.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts