Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it is a Murano forum and I am posting about FX but as they are very similar cars in some respect, I just want to share experience.

The FX35 is 2.5 years old with 37k trouble free miles. Recently we decided to keep the vehicle once the lease expires. This called for maintenance Kris style……J

So it is what I did:
- installed Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve
- put Mobil1 5W – 30 oil
- installed Mobil1 oil filter
- flashed brake system with full synthetic fluid
- flashed power steering system with full synthetic fluid
- flashed cooling system
- replaced transfer case fluid
- replaced both front and rear differential oils (with AMSOIL – see photo)
- replaced air filter
- replaced in-cabin filter
- rotated tires

Cost – approximately $210 for materials and a day of work ( I started enjoying it!).

Now observations (as some of you have AWD you may find it interesting):

- transfer case fluid. It did not look that bad, however there was quite a bit of discolorations. And what is more important I did notice a significant amount of metal debris. Most of them were 2 – 12 mm long and very thin, like human hair. I did not like it.

- Rear differential – quite a bit of sludge. The drain plug is magnetic so it collected most of the metal debris.

- Front differential – much better than the rear one, but it was expected, as FX is primarily RWD.

What is left is the automatic transmission fluid. Nissan is using Nissan Matic J and it is almost impossible to get it outside of Nissan dealership. I wasn’t going to change it but after seeing the transfer case and diffs oils I may do it. I know it is going to cost me probably $80 in materials but I believe in the long run it will be worth it.

After switching to Mobil1 I noticed mileage improvement. My wife was getting consistently 16 mpg in city driving, now we getting 18.8 mpg! It is a significant change.

Based on my experience, for next service at 60k miles I will do it all over again. Oh, I will most likely add the belts and brakes pads as they usually last 30k miles.

For all of you who have AWD I would encourage you to change the transfer case and diff fluids. You maybe surprised what you find.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Those were the Amsoil fluids you used??
Neither is the recommended fluid for the application.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
ekaxel said:
Those were the Amsoil fluids you used??
Neither is the recommended fluid for the application.
I think he used the 80w90 gear oil for the transfer/rear diff and the ATF for the power steering system. Those are in fact, within manufacturers spec.

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ekaxel

these fluids were recommended by Amsoil.

80W - 90 - for differential.
Torque Drive - for transfer case.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Kris said:
ekaxel

these fluids were recommended by Amsoil.

80W - 90 - for differential.
Torque Drive - for transfer case.

Nice work~
Thanks for sharing~

NZM

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I am concerned about the transfer case. Recommended fluid is an 75 or 80W90 gear oil, not an ATF type hydraulic fluid.

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ekaxel

I appreciate your concerns. However, in case of FX the recommended fluid for transfer case is Nissan Matic D ATF. The transfer case has an electric coupling and two sprockets with a chain. So it is logical Nissan used ATF.

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you will be fine with any of them. I do not believe Murano application calls for "Extreme Pressure" or "Severe Duty".

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Kris -s sorry I forgot that you were doing this in the Fx, not the Murano.
Enforcer- I think the one on the right is the current 75w90, which I used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts