Nissan Murano Forum banner

350 HP Murano! (no joke)

7K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  red kiosk 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Now you talking! :D

I it makes to States in 2 years time and the price is reasonable - I am in!

Oh, forgot. I bet it is not CVT. And do not bet against me. I have never ever lost a bet......;)

#4 ·
It's either a concept car, show car, or "test mule". In any case I sincerely doubt a 350 horsepower MO will be released using the current CVT and X-fer case. Not unless it is sold with a 30-day/1,000 mile warranty, because a 42% increase in horsepower is going to eat up the drive train and spit it out in a matter of hours(especially if Gonzo finds an empty stretch of tarmac).

-njjoe

#5 ·
njjoe said:
It's either a concept car, show car, or "test mule". In any case I sincerely doubt a 350 horsepower MO will be released using the current CVT and X-fer case. Not unless it is sold with a 30-day/1,000 mile warranty, because a 42% increase in horsepower is going to eat up the drive train and spit it out in a matter of hours(especially if Gonzo finds an empty stretch of tarmac).

-njjoe
Joe,
you forgot to add "limited" warranty. Limited to "car body drive train excluding".....:D

#6 ·
It would be wonderful if

they have a new stronger CVT. Just imagine 5 spoke, 22 inchers, the incomparable MO styling, Aux video input and IPod adapter for the audio and all that power. A fully opening sunroof, Full down windows all around, Keyless start, Extremely increases sound insulation, no squeaks, etc. I might just get another one.

#7 ·
#9 ·
if you scroll down in the first link that alex posted, there is a cvt application for rear wheel drive vehicles with the main equipped vehicle being the NISSAN SKYLINE 350GT-8. so since that car has power and many people do engine mods to them then this may be the cvt of choice for the murano gt-c.

#10 ·
nissanlove said:
if you scroll down in the first link that alex posted, there is a cvt application for rear wheel drive vehicles with the main equipped vehicle being the NISSAN SKYLINE 350GT-8. so since that car has power and many people do engine mods to them then this may be the cvt of choice for the murano gt-c.
The toiroidal CVT was deemed not suitable for North America because it did not perform well at low temperatures. Maybe they've improved it now, but I would guess a normal automatic is more likely for the 350hp Murano (if its ever built).

#11 ·
Eric L. said:

The toiroidal CVT was deemed not suitable for North America because it did not perform well at low temperatures. Maybe they've improved it now, but I would guess a normal automatic is more likely for the 350hp Murano (if its ever built).
Eric-

If they put a "normal" automatic in the MO, is it still a MO?

If the VQ is the heart of the MO, then the CVT must be it's soul.

-njjoe

#12 ·
wow njjoe.. that was pretty deep. i'm gonna write that down:)

#13 ·
njjoe said:

Eric-

-njjoe
That's good, I'd sevice mark (SM) that statement.

#15 ·
njjoe said:

Eric-

-njjoe
For the MO faithful, thats a good point. I think though that the majority of MO owners cannot even tell a CVT from a normal automatic.

#16 ·
Eric L.
Troidal CVT is used in Infinity G35 so it is suitable for US climate ???
Here is a part from the article about Nissan Skyline 350GT-8 (same as Infinity G35):
However, the best version of Skyline is undoubtedly 350GT-8. This Japan-only model mates the 3.5-litre engine with a state-of-the-art Extroid CVT gearbox offering a sequential manual mode with 8 ratios. Yes, 8-speed, really that mad! perhaps more than a good driver can cope with, but shifting via the steering column-mounted paddles like Ferrari must be tempting. The stepless automatic mode is smooth yet reasonably responsive. The Extroid CVT uses solid rollers instead of steel belt as means of transmission and ratio variation, no wonder it handles the torquey V6 with ease.

If they put it in MO, it's OK for me!!!:2:

#17 ·
Alex said:
Eric L.
Troidal CVT is used in Infinity G35 so it is suitable for US climate ???
Here is a part from the article about Nissan Skyline 350GT-8 (same as Infinity G35):
However, the best version of Skyline is undoubtedly 350GT-8. This Japan-only model mates the 3.5-litre engine with a state-of-the-art Extroid CVT gearbox offering a sequential manual mode with 8 ratios. Yes, 8-speed, really that mad! perhaps more than a good driver can cope with, but shifting via the steering column-mounted paddles like Ferrari must be tempting. The stepless automatic mode is smooth yet reasonably responsive. The Extroid CVT uses solid rollers instead of steel belt as means of transmission and ratio variation, no wonder it handles the torquey V6 with ease.

If they put it in MO, it's OK for me!!!:2:
Key word is "Japan-only" model. When the MO first came out, all the magazines were confused whether the Xtronic CVT we have was in fact the Extroid toroidal unit. It wasn't, and Nissan's reason was that the Extroid CVT did not perform well at extreme cold temperatures.

The US G35 has a conventional automatic transmission.

#18 ·
Enforcer said:
Ok so all the auto transmission Murano's throughout the world right now today have no soul? :D
You said it, not me. ;)

The true MO, as we know it, is the complete package. The CVT, with all it's faults, is a key part of that package.

-njjoe

#20 ·
Alex said:
However, the best version of Skyline is undoubtedly 350GT-8. This Japan-only model mates the 3.5-litre engine with a state-of-the-art Extroid CVT gearbox offering a sequential manual mode with 8 ratios. Yes, 8-speed, really that mad! perhaps more than a good driver can cope with, but shifting via the steering column-mounted paddles like Ferrari must be tempting.
Alex-

Eight speeds through a CVT tranny is nothing more than a gimmick. Nissan could easily have programmed 8, or 10, or 12 "speeds". It is just an incremental stop on the variable pulleys. There really is nothing to "cope with".

-njjoe

#23 ·
350HP and still FWD? Nope, not for me......even with CVT....

#24 ·
"...and as Eric L. wrote it can be used in .............Florida????"

I am working to have this legislation adopted in the next session. 350 HP Muranos in other states just does not make sense.

Homer

#25 ·
Would you be willing to add Arizona?

hfelknor said:
"...and as Eric L. wrote it can be used in .............Florida????"

I am working to have this legislation adopted in the next session. 350 HP Muranos in other states just does not make sense.

Homer
:2:

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.