Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I'm getting close to the 3750 mile mark. What should I expect to have done for maintenance? Just LOF (lube oil filter)? The dealer sent me a coupon for free service on the initial maintenance. The salesman told me that I may want to buy extra filters if I have the oil changed somewhere else. He said that the new filters have a flap in them that keeps the oil in the engine when the vehicle is turned off. I am planning on using them for the first service then using a "quick-change" oil place (Pennzoil) after that and bringing my own filters. Any suggestions? Should I just by the filters at the dealer or can someone suggest an alternative?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The Nissan OEM filter is an excellent filter, and the feature your salesman mentioned is called teh anti-drainback valve. It is hardly a new filter though, since Nissan has been using this design for many many years now.

Penzoil has its own line of yellow filters. They are relabeled Fram filters and you would do well to avoid them. You can read a comparison between Nissan OEM and Fram here:

www.motorvate.ca

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to update those interested:
Got the LOF done Wednesday. Everything went well. Took about 1 hour. They even gave the MO a complementary wash (kind of a shame I washed it 2 days before). They also reset the scheduled maintenance notification on the NAV (not that it is all THAT complicated). Overall, pretty good experience.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
HUNDREDS!!!????

That would be..........well.......ridiculous.

Homer

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Milkman, please check with your dealer. I have owned a number of new cars and the first Oil/Filter was a total freebie. Call your salesman.
Caution about your friendly dealers advice to service you car on a Schedule One service. Look at your book, schedule one, towing trailers, dusty dirt roads and bumper to bumper traffic. They try to get you to do a lot more stuff that is not needed. Of course you may sit all day in bumper to bumper while towing your boat on a dirt road.
Oil and Filter the first go round.

Mattsmurano, just where do you take your car for service?
That filter is about 25-35 bucks. We have a thread out here somplace on how to change that microfilter but I have not done so with only 7500 miles.

Bob1

·
5,244 Posts
mattsmurano said:
It is not really scary till you need to replace the AC Cabin filter. Ouch! That was hundreds of dollars for mine.

next time buy a filter ($25???) and it yourself. 30 min job.

Do not let them "take you".......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts