Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nissan and nearly all other car brands recommend an oil change every 3000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first..
My annual mileage for the past 4 years has been 10,000. So in my case, 3 months comes earlier. Should I wait till I reach 3000 or changed the oil at 3 months??

Or is this recommendation just a way to make sure you spend your money and give the service dept. a steady flow of income every 3 months???

(my previous car's interval was 10,000.. Most members on my previous forum did it every 5000..I have no regrets that I moved from honda to nissan.. but I do miss those honda 4 cylinder engines.. )

·
Registered
92 Posts
I change my oil every 4500 miles, regardless of how much time passes. I use a synthetic blend oil. If it was pure synthetic I would possibly go 6000 miles between changes.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Nelson-

The Murano Service Manual lists two (2) maintenance schedules. The first, called Schedule 1, is the more extreme of the two, and it suggests an oil change every 3,750 miles or 3 months. The second, Schedule 2, recommends an oil change every 7,500 miles or 6 months. Schedule 1 is for cars driving in a stop-and-go environment, dusty conditions, towing a trailer, etc. Schedule 2 is for "normal" driving.

Why do you believe Nissan suggests an oil change every 3,000 miles?

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
My dealer has always set my maint. reminder for 3500 miles for the oil change.
Bastids

If you do not warm your engine enough, all kinds of crap builds up in the oil--hence the time instead of miles thing.
On engines that do not warm up long enough---smell your dip stick. It will smell like gasoline more and more as time goes by. Gasoline doesn't have any film strength---it's an anti film strength thing.

·
5,244 Posts
I do 20k/annum and use full synthetic (Mobil 1) with changes every 5,000 miles. I know it is overkill. I would advise you follow Nissan schedule 2 – change every 7,500 miles or every 6 months. You cannot go wrong with it. 3,000 miles is a “thing from the past”. Or revenue generator.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
mgthe3 said:
My dealer has always set my maint. reminder for 3500 miles for the oil change.
Bastids
Nissan's recommended oil change interval is for roughly 125 hours of engine operation, as long as each operation is maintained for at least 20 minutes (to let oil and engine warmup enough to get rid of any acidity or moisture buildup in the oil.) If you mainly drive in the city (approximately 30 mph) then 3,750 logical to prevent acid and moisture buildup in your engine oil. If you drive on the freeway all the time then 7,500 miles is okay. If you drive in the city AND your trips are less than 20 minutes one way then change oil every 3 months. If you hardly ever drive your car, then change the oil every 6 months!

I change mine every 5,000 miles with moderate (mostly freeway speeds) traffic, allowing for some rush hour and city driving.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Kris said:
I do 20k/annum and use full synthetic (Mobil 1) with changes every 5,000 miles. I know it is overkill. I would advise you follow Nissan schedule 2 – change every 7,500 miles or every 6 months. You cannot go wrong with it. 3,000 miles is a “thing from the past”. Or revenue generator.
I'm with Kris. Unless your car is leaking or burning oil, you can easily go 5000+ miles on normal oil. While there has been no definitive study about what is best for the car, from what I read all the car mags (and Edmunds.com) use the long oil change interval (7,500 or 10,000 miles) on their long term fleet vehicles, and have not reported any problems.

·
5,244 Posts
UncaDanno said:
What about that dinky filter? It is hard for me to believe that it can be effective that long.
If you use Mobil 1 oil and filter it is good for at least 7,500 miles. See this link oil filter

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
UncaDanno said:
What about that dinky filter? It is hard for me to believe that it can be effective that long.
The Nissan OEM filter works just fine. I am sure you've heard the saying " Size doesn't matter" (O.K. so it does matter), but in this case the "dinky" does a fine job of protecting the VQ engine. I have not heard of any complaints on this forum concerning the effectiveness of the filter.

-njjoe

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I have just changed my oil and switched to the new Amsoil Ea filter. Using the EaO36, which is about 2 1/2 times larger than the OEM.
It and the 0W30 Series 2000 oil are rated and guaranteed by Amsoil for a 35000 (yes 000) mile/1 year oil change interval. I will change it once a year.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
njjoe - Why do you believe Nissan suggests an oil change every 3,000 miles?
oops sorry..I meant to say every 3750 miles..

FYI - my friend who works in a Nissan service dept. doing regular maintenace (not serious car problems) told me he has never heard of any special "break-in oil" and that many people do their first oil change at 2000 miles..

another interesting thing he told me was that many of the "technicians" do side jobs in the actual nissan service dept. So at any one time, a good # of their lifts can have cars that are going straight to the technician's pocket...not to nissan.

I'm gonna go to him for all my services.. I went to Pep Boys one time and requested Mobile 1 Synthetic (not on the murano).. I went to peak to see that they were actually putting in synthetic and, low and behold, I see 3 empty bottles of some other NON-synthetic oil sitting on my engine.. i told the manager and they drained, flushed, and put the Mobil 1.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Just pulled out after an oil change today and went to the MAINT button. I struggled with the mileage amount as I had forgotten the recommended. I ended up throwing 3500 as my next alarm bell.
Not too soon, not too late and seemed about right.
Bob1

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Cryogenix said:
Because my MO drives in the city and spends more time idling in traffic than accumulating miles, I change it every 3000, using Mobil 1 synthetic, and the last few changes I've used the 7500 and 15000 synthetic stuff, yet still change the oil and filter every 3000.
I think we just found a new definition for "overkill". :D

-njjoe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts