Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess we all know about the fuel tank recall but thought there was a ugly guard involved.
I got this today and it appears there is a potentially ugly guard and a new tank?

Dear Nissan Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Nissan has decided that defects that relate to motor vehicle safety exist in some 2003-2006 model year Nissan Murano vehicles.

Reason for Recall

If the front tires run over a small, sharp object in the road, there is a possibility that a front tire may propel it towards the rear of the vehicle. Due to the location of the fuel tank, the object may strike the forward portion of the tank. This could result in a puncture in the tank and a fuel leak. If an ignition source is present, a fire could occur.

In addition, there is the possibility that a vapor hose fitting attached to the fuel tank may come off. This will result in the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) in the instrument panel coming on and may result in some fuel leakage. If an ignition source is present, a fire could occur.

Also, there is the possibilty that in certain high speed frontal crashes, the webbing of the rear seat belt
may be cut by the rear seat back hinge. If the webbing is completely separated, t could affect tne risk of injury in a crash.

What Nissan Will Do

Your Nissan dealer will:
1. Replace the fuel tank with a new one.
2. Install protectors in front of the fuel tank.
3. Install protectors on the webbing of the rear seat belts.
This combined free service should take about six hours to complete, but your Nissan dealer may require
your vehicle for a longer period of time based upon their work schedule.

What You Should Do

Contact your Nissan dealer at your earliest convenience in order to arrange an appointment to have your vehicle repaired. Please bring this notice with you when you keep your service appointment. It will be necessary that your fuel tank be no more than one-quarter full when you bring your vehicle to the dealer in order to minimize the possibility of fuel spill during the repair. Instructions have been sent to your Nissan dealer. If you have additional questions you may contact the National Consumer Affairs Office, Nissan North America, Inc. at P.O. Box 191, Gardena, California 90248-0191. The toll free number is (800) 647-7261.

If you have paid to have your fuel tank replaced because of a puncture from road debris or your rear seat belt replaced because the webbing was cut prior to these campaigns, you may be eligible for reimbursement of the related expense. You may also submit a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 400 Seventh Street, SW., Washington, DC 20590; or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or go to
http : //www . safercar. gov.
Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.

Thank you for your cooperation. We are indeed sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Nissmo-

Details on both recalls have been previously posted.

A ton of information has been posted on the fuel shield because the plastic shield itself is butt-ugly.

The fuel tank recall is much more limited in scope than the shield recall. The tank replacement is straight-forward. The existing tank is replaced with an identical tank, only the welded fitting is different.

The seat belt recall is also straight-forward.

-njjoe

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
njjoe said:
Nissmo-

Details on both recalls have been previously posted.

A ton of information has been posted on the fuel shield because the plastic shield itself is butt-ugly.

The fuel tank recall is much more limited in scope than the shield recall. The tank replacement is straight-forward. The existing tank is replaced with an identical tank, only the welded fitting is different.

The seat belt recall is also straight-forward.

-njjoe
I am well aware of the shield but not the tank. I wonder if this is the 06 aluminium package as recently posted in the other thread?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Nissmo said:

I am well aware of the shield but not the tank. I wonder if this is the 06 aluminum package as recently posted in the other thread?
It looks like the aluminum shields are only being installed on brand-new MOs.

There has been only one other forum member that I am aware of who had his fuel tank replaced under the recall. And to the best of my recollection he reported having the plastic shield installed.

-njjoe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts