Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I was tired of my phone clunking around in that bin forward of the cup holders, and since I wanted to keep the vents clear, I decided to utilize the empty space where the ignition switch usually is to affix a magnetic holder. Works great for the phone and for keys. The phone doesn't get in the way of the wiper lever (even if pushed forward for washer fluid use), my knee doesn't hit the bottom of the phone, and looking through the steering wheel spoke I can glimpse at my phone to see what's up. I normally don't stick things to dashboard material, but I felt the area was out of plain sight in case anything ever happened to the material (e.g. discoloration) plus a swiveling magnetic holder has a lot of uses, so I think it would always be useful for something, meaning there'd be no need to remove it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've since removed the other magnetic phone holder because it just wouldn't stay adhered to that softer, textured dash area, and it really ended up not being all that useful.

I've been wanting to do something with the space on the underside of the gauge cluster canopy, since it's a nice piece of smooth plastic that's essentially flat. Thought about installing a gun holster, or a small receptable to hold a wallet or a spare cellphone, etc. Instead I opted for an extendable phone holder that I modified with a Monster magnet from a different device I wasn't using. I had to unscrew and swap out the threaded ball/yolk receiver since the one on the Monster arm was smaller. Took about a minute. I wanted a cleaner look and I think the magnet is more versatile, plus there are those three holding pieces sticking out to get in the way of my hand when steering. There are lots of extendable holders out there. I found this one at Walmart for $15. Amazon is over-priced. Anyway, it's very handy and I use it a lot. Seems to be sticking fine after I cleaned the plastic underside with rubbing alcohol.

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,841 Posts
Isn't it blocking your view of part of the instrument cluster?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't typically have my phone there while driving because it does block a lot, unless I have the arm tilted all the way up and back where, the phone is then aligned with the upper-middle area of the steering wheel. With no phone attached, it only blocks about a one-inch portion of the center of that arched info-bar that's used to show collision alerts or if your door is open or if the key is to far away when the engine is running, etc.. However, since that arched bar is fairly pointless during an emergency and useless a second after because it doesn't show you what happened, I don't mind not being able to see the tiny portion of space. In the 93-degree heat today, the suction finally let go after about 1.5 months of use. It could make for a good book holder or something if you removed that curved gauge canopy to access the plastic piece, and then drilled a hole and used a fastener to make sure it can handle plenty of "reasonable" weight for that trim piece.

·
Super Moderator
1,632 Posts
Cryogenix1

Check out this holder. Works the same in the Murano. It does block the Flasher button when the phone is in place, but hardly blocks the two vents enough to notice. I really like how it kind of blends in and really doesn't look out of place like vent holders do. You can swap the head out for a larger stronger magnetic holder if you have a large phone. That part seems to be universal.

Amazon.com: Phone Holder for Nissan Rogue,Dashboard Air Vent Adjustable Cell Phone Holder for Nissan Rogue 2019 2018 2017 ,Car Phone Mount for iPhone 7 iPhone 6s iPhone 8,for Samsung,Smartphone for 4.7/5 in : Cell Phones & Accessories

Hood Grille Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Here's my setup.

Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Car Steering wheel

I use one of the magnetic 1.5-meter power cords, held up in place using a small single wire surface mount holder over on the side to keep it out of the way. Swapped out the power outlet with a dual 3A USB charger and voltage indicator for the power itself.

As a side benefit, the phone is in the perfect position to act as an impromptu dashcam. Just have a large SD card and don't record at max quality. I actually tried it out and it does pretty good, just a little low on the dash to see right down in front of the car.

I also found the same model that's made to fit my wife's '13 Rav4. Seems that they're making them for quite a few cars.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cryogenix1

Check out this holder. Works the same in the Murano. It does block the Flasher button when the phone is in place, but hardly blocks the two vents enough to notice. I really like how it kind of blends in and really doesn't look out of place like vent holders do. You can swap the head out for a larger stronger magnetic holder if you have a large phone. That part seems to be universal.
Thanks for the info, PaulDay. I actually wanted something right in front of me for face-chatting, sreaming movies, Internet surfing, etc. when parked. I wanted a direct view where I didn't have to worry as much about sun glare or phone angles causing viewing issues...or having to sit forward and reach to interact with something on the phone, not to mention trying to read small type from that vent holder distance. What I have is ideal, but I'm probably going to find a finished piece of thin, curved metal to use as a holding bracket with the screws used to hold on that arched dash canopy. That will do away with the need for a suction cup, and will likely then allow me to see every aspect of that alert arch between gauges.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts