Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had a wierd problem today..

I would hit the gas, and the throttle would do NOTHING.. then 4-5 seconds later it would rev like crazy.

it was if the "position" of th peddle was ignored for 4-5 seconds, then it found out and gave it FULL gas to get to the point it should be at.

a heavy "jerk" acceleration every time I took off.. it was not that noticable during crusing, but a pain in the a$$ while accelerating (try doing a left turn with a 4-5 second delay, then full gas squeeling the tires.)

No error lights, and it went away once I turned off the car, and gave it a 10 mins cool down.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
darrylburke-

4 -5 seconds?! That's a pretty bad case of hesitation. In all seriousness, that type of hesitation can be dangerous, especially if it occurs when crossing an intersection or entering a busy highway.

Is the car still covered under any type of warranty? If so, I suggest you take it to the dealer and have him read the error code if it happens again. If it doesn't happen again then I would chalk it up to gremlins.

-njjoe

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah. it was very scary for the first 20-30 mins until I could get home (stuck in highway stop and go, the worse time for it to happen).

It's an 03, and not under warrenty.

I've decided to park it until I can get it in later this week.

I suspect it's the trottle sensors.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I think it is the same thing that has been reported here quite a few times. Happened to me too.
I believe this is the problem that USUALLY happens after a long hard highway run ..... and then you get off the freeway. Happens at the first red light.
I suspect that your suspicions are correct. ;)
It's gonna cost you a grunch, I bet.

Homer

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the funny thing was that this happend in the first 5 mins of starting it up. (driving light) . then after it started came the heavy stop and go on the highway.. (and got worse as it went on)

Yup.. I figure Mid sevens..

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Darryl-

My money is on one of three things:

1) Throttle position sensor
2) Throttle body
3) Gremlins

Hopefully it is whatever is the most inexpensive.

Good luck.

-njjoe

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
There may be codes even if the light isn't on. Some codes require multiple triggers to turn the light on.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
darrylburke-

It's a little disconcerting knowing that the dealer's service personnel do not have information explaining the error codes readily available. Even without the information I would have thought a quick and simple phone call would have gotten them the answers they were looking for.

The link you posted suggests the problem is with the CVT. I never would have guessed that. I am very interested to see what the other code is for.

Good luck.

-njjoe

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I still suspision that NJJOE had it the first time

TB or TS

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
after some more digging, I found the other code

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2004/NTB04-061.htm

(Engine speed signal and/or ESTM vehicle speed signal)

I suspect that I may have several problems/gremlins which have have caused a cascading effect (and other errors).

Eg the problem with the throttle (which was felt) may have caused a CVT error code to be raised as well)

The dealer has the vehicle for another day, so I guess I'll findout late today/tomorrow.

if it's just those two codes, I may "hold off" an any actual work done (in case it was a gremlin,) since the costs to fix them (according to the TSB) are $$$$$.

They did mention the relearning of the idle which should just be labour costs.

looks like it might be a wait and see game..

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
There are OBDII codes and then manufacturer specific codes then model specific codes which probably have CVT specific codes for the Murano. Since most dealer work on the CVT is a replacement, Nissan may not have sent out or the dealer may not have recieved the specifics of the CVT codes. I haven't found a dealer yet that keeps up with all the TSBs/codes for all the years for all the models. Maybe they should, but I haven't found one yet.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got a few calls from the manager of the service department (good guy)..

The P1722 is the problem, and they need to replace the CVT vavle body (under extended warranty thank god)

They are going to relearn the idle as well to solve that.

The only problem now is parts.. it's in the shop until Friday at the earliest. (I could drive it, but I'd rather be save, and keep it off the road, as I have access to other vehicles.)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
An actual internal CVT REPAIR?

Things are looking up.......

Here's hoping they are right Darryl.

Homer

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It would look that way based on the link to nissan help. Plus it saved me the CVT oil change at 96K (I have 93K)(I think he said $40/litre at 5-6 litres..) as they have to drain it for this work :):):)

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
darrylburke-

Thanx for posting the Service Bulletin outlining the procedure for replacing the CVT valve body. I found it very interesting. It actually looks like a pretty straight forward procedure. Being that it is a CVT, I am sure they will put one of their more technically savvy guys on this job.

-njjoe

·
Registered
133 Posts
throttle issue

Hi, Darryl. We have had a throttle hesitation issue since 03 also. Not lately but after an extended drive. Happened on our steep hill to home. But... we experienced it a couple of years ago while on llong drives on level road. I turned off igniton briefly and turned it back on and solved problem. Darrell. :)

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: throttle issue

dborla01 said:
Hi, Darryl. We have had a throttle hesitation issue since 03 also. Not lately but after an extended drive. Happened on our steep hill to home. But... we experienced it a couple of years ago while on llong drives on level road. I turned off igniton briefly and turned it back on and solved problem. Darrell. :)
if it happens again, bring it in.. the codes are stored on the computer (but you get no lights).. get them to see if the same codes are happening..

good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Throttle Delay & Missing at highway speed

I have an 04 sl awd and have had the throttle delay only once about 6mo ago...dealer told me that there were no codes stored and that I would have to wait for the check engine light to get a code.

Also I have been experiencing a missing at highway speeds under load as well as taking off from stops. On the highway going 75 I can watch the tach jump 1000 rpm when this happens. They are intermitent but have been more frequent lately. Is anyone else experiencing this?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts