Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed my 4x4 is in lock permanently. Haven't had the car long,six months. When I turn ignition on the warning light only comes on for a second,just long enough for me to see it's not in auto! When I press the switch nothing happens. Any suggestions please?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Are you sure it's always in AWD lock mode?

An indication of it being locked would be a larger than normal radius when making a turn, sever understeer. This is due to the Murano not having a center differential... The transfer case would most likely be destroyed in short order, it's not designed to survive being engaged during turns on dry pavement...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for quick response. Seems to drive /steer ok. Got a whining like s bad wheel bearing but previous owner(my old boss) says they were changed recently! I tried to switch to and during snow but when I press switch I get no indication on dash? Maybe an electrical fault?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Where does the whining noise seem to be coming from?

From what I can see, the AWD indicator on the dash will not light if all is well with the AWD system. However, the light on the switch should come on when lock mode selected...

This is from my '03 owner's manual:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So my switch should have a light? It doesn't. Maybe I should check switch, maybe electric fault or something! Whining seems to come from front end only noticable on motorway driving. Similar to wheel bearing on it's way out.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
How many miles does your Murano have on it?

How many miles ago were the wheel bearing hubs replaced? What brand are they?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
A wheel bearing replacement can be faulty. I got a bad Timken wheel bearing when I replaced mine, and had to replace it again. Generally Timken is a good brand, I think the OEM bearings are Timken. However, I purchased the one that ended up being defective from Amazon Marketplace, it and may have been discounted for a reason... If your old boss used a bargain brand, who knows...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A wheel bearing replacement can be faulty. I got a bad Timken wheel bearing when I replaced mine, and had to replace it again. Generally Timken is a good brand, I think the OEM bearings are Timken. However, I purchased the one that ended up being defective from Amazon Marketplace, it and may have been discounted for a reason... If your old boss used a bargain brand, who knows...
I'm guessing he probably would have. My friend (mechanic) going to have a look next week.thanks for your input

1 - 10 of 10 Posts