Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite having a full size spare and OEM alloy wheel, the manual makes no mention of a five wheel rotation pattern for the tires. Anybody know what is the best pattern. The vehicle has Goodyear Eagles.

In a related mode: how can I reset the oil change and tire rotation alerts myself?
Thanks for any help.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
I borrowed this from another site:

If the vehicle owner has a regular tire as a spare tire and wishes to include it in the tire rotation process, the proper procedure is to use the appropriate rotation pattern shown for 4 Tire Rotation, BUT insert the spare in the right rear position. Place the tire which would have gone to the right rear in the trunk as the new spare. Note: Never include a temporary spare tire in the rotation. Note: Unidirectional tread patterns must be rotated front-to-rear only so the direction of the revolution does not change.
----
I assume you are from Canada, as the American version isn't graced with a full size spare.

To reset your oil mode, push the trip button until you see the Oil Change/Tire Rotation/Tire Pressure screen, hit down on the joystick until you highlight what you want to reset, hit enter, and then I believe that there is a reset button in there.

Hope this helps!
Rob

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
For non nav Murano, you reset the oil change reminder by just holding down the "maintenance" button until it resets to zero miles. Same for all the tire rotation, trip, and fuel economy meters.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help. I don't think the Goodyear Eagles are unidirectional.

And yes, I'm from Canuckistan.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That rotation diagram is only good for non-radial tires which I'm sure nobody is using on their Murano. For radials you should only be rotating front to back and back to front.

Don't do the cross pattern.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
MarkY said:
That rotation diagram is only good for non-radial tires which I'm sure nobody is using on their Murano. For radials you should only be rotating front to back and back to front.

Don't do the cross pattern.

The factory shop manual (also Owners manual page 8-30) specifies this as the rotation pattern:

Rear tires to front (same side)

Front tires to rear (opposite side)

So your left rear will go the front left, and be replaced with the right front. In other words, its opposite of the diagram shown earlier in the thread.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Eric - I did note the four tire rotation scheme in my owners manual. Where do you think I should introduce my full size spare into the rotation? I have five tires and wheels, all identical - Canadian version of the Murano.

I'd like to use the spare in the rotation, it will add 20% to tread life and defer replacement.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
bruno said:
Thanks Eric - I did note the four tire rotation scheme in my owners manual. Where do you think I should introduce my full size spare into the rotation? I have five tires and wheels, all identical - Canadian version of the Murano.

I'd like to use the spare in the rotation, it will add 20% to tread life and defer replacement.
A five tire rotation replaces one of the rear tires with the spare, and the tire which would have gone to that end of the car in a four tire rotation then goes into the trunk.

However, since Nissan specifies a 4 tire rotation, I would stick with that. Besides do you really want extra life from the pathetic Goodyear Eagles?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Eric L. said:
The factory shop manual (also Owners manual page 8-30) specifies this as the rotation pattern:

Rear tires to front (same side)

Front tires to rear (opposite side)

So your left rear will go the front left, and be replaced with the right front. In other words, its opposite of the diagram shown earlier in the thread.
So what you're saying is if you turn that diagram posted above 180 degrees, it will agree with the owner's manual?

Below is a quote from Goodyear's web site. Keep in mind rotation is different if you have AWD.

Should I rotate my tires?

Regular and proper tire rotation promotes more uniform wear for all of the tires on a vehicle. All season tires should be rotated in a "modified X" pattern, meaning only the tires being moved to the drive axle are crossed to the opposite side of the vehicle.

The remaining two tires are moved from the drive axle to the free rolling axle, remaining on the same side of the vehicle.
This method of rotation helps promote a more even and uniform treadwear pattern for all four tires.

The only exception to this would be the use of "directional" tread design tires such as our Aquatred II or some of our Eagle line high performance tires. These tires would remain on the same side of the vehicle and be rotated straight forward and straight back.

If you have a four-wheel drive vehicle, we recommend crossing both pairs of tires to their new axle positions.We recommend tire rotation at least every 6,000 miles. Four-wheel drive vehicles may require rotation even sooner such as every 4,000 miles. Check your vehicle owner's manual for the manufacturer's rotation recommendations. If no rotation period is specified, tires should be rotated every 6,000 to 8,000 miles. The first rotation is the most important. When tires are rotated, inflation pressures must be adjusted to the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations. Uneven tire wear may also be due to misalignment or mechanical problems. Many Goodyear retailers can provide expert diagnosis and repair.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Besides do you really want extra life from the pathetic Goodyear Eagles?
In a word, yes. The replacement cost of these 18" tires is not going to be small. For me, it's a work vehicle and I'd like to keep costs down .

The full size spare is standard equipment in Canada, there are several other product and packaging differences too. I think the only reason Nissan only specifies 4 tire rotation on a vehicle with five tires is that they can't be bothered catering to a small Canadian market and amending the manual to fit the situation. Other manufacturers add comments specifically for the differences, but apparently not Nissan. No big deal, just makes for dumb questions like mine!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, now I'm totally confused, with Marks reply.

Here is the situation. I have a SL AWD with stock all season Goodyear Eagles and five full size wheels. As far as I know, the AWD has never been engaged in the 3 months I've owned it (though winter cometh).

Does anybody know what the correct sequence is for rotation?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
This theory is ancient history. It is perfectly acceptable to cross MODERN radial tires to the opposite side.

·
Registered
65 Posts
bruno said:
OK, now I'm totally confused, with Marks reply.

Here is the situation. I have a SL AWD with stock all season Goodyear Eagles and five full size wheels. As far as I know, the AWD has never been engaged in the 3 months I've owned it (though winter cometh).

Does anybody know what the correct sequence is for rotation?

Thanks.
Your best bet would be to email Goodyear and ask them.

http://www.goodyear.com/email/faq.html

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
When in doubt, follow the owners manual. Its there in your glove compartment, page 8-30.

As for the 5 tire rotation, usually you want the better tires in the rear (doesn't matter if its FWD, AWD, RWD), so putting the full size spare on the rear is probably the way to go.

And please, no arguments about putting the good tires on the front or rear. Every tire manufacturer recommends that if you are going to buy two new tires, they should always go in the rear for additional stability during cornering in slippery conditions. Much easier to correct understeer than oversteer for the typical driver.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No arguments from me Eric, just trying to learn.

And thanks for the directions to my owners manual, but as already indicated twice, it does not actually address my situation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts