Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using Mobil 1 5w/30 "Newer Car Formula" in my Murano for a while now. I'm coming up on my 15,000 interval and an oil change. Should I keep using 5w/30 or go to 10w?

Let me know ASAP :)

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
since you are still under warranty...

follow what the owner manuals tell you: 5w30.

You know those dude(s) at the dealer will try to blame you using motor oil other than 5w30 in the case there are damages you need to claim againts the 3yr/36000 miles warranty right?

I use valvoline durablendsynth 5w30 motor oil currently.
But i am going to switch to full synthetic: valvoline syncpower 5w30 when i reach my 3rd oil change.

Mobil1 synthethic is good stuff. I used it for my other car. But since i am not practicing extended draining interval for my MO, I find that there is no need for top notch mobil1 synthetic :). saving a buck or two per quartz. This is my personal opinion, bty.

For my other car, when i am off warranty, this is what i do:
- for winter, use mobil1 0w40
- for summer, use mobil1 15W50
- for topping up (when necessary), use mobil1 5w30

But when i am still in warranty period, i use whatever the manual recomended.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks SugarRush. I had figured that 5w was the best bet. I had a case of 10w sitting around and gave brief consideration to using it, but ultimately chose to go out and buy more 5w :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Speaking of oil...

Has anybody here had any allergic reactions to additives in motor oil?

Reason I ask is that I have been working with motors for several years: maintaining the rides, my MC, farm equipment, and rebuilding lawn and garden equipment. And getting plenty of oil, new and used, on the ol' mitts.

Suddenly, after changing the oil in three rides one weekend, my left hand ring finger started itching. Took off my wedding ring and it looked like I had a terminal case of Athlete's Foot around the base of my finger!

Somebody told me it looked more like contact dermatitis than fungus. I looked it up on the Web and found that some people do have allergic reactions to motor oil, especially used oil.

Thing is, I had never reacted to motor oil this way before. This last week, I changed the oil and filter in the MO and made sure that I did not get any oil on my left hand. Big as life, looks like Athlete's Foot on my right hand.

Dang.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I don't know about that... but you should wear rubber/latex gloves when handling oil especially if you are around it often. Many medical issues realated to handling this stuff...

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Yes, used oil is particularly carcinogenic.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
yes, used oil and coolant and gasoline are carsinogenic...

but i don think wearing the latex glove will be sufficient enough, anyway. Just not to make too much direct skin contact with them.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The owners manual says that for ambient temps above freezing, 10w30 is acceptable. 5w30 is the recommended all temperature range oil. I personally use Mobil One 5w30.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
of 5w30 is ok, 0w30 is even better for cold protection....

however, it is quite rare to find 0w30 mix is it not?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Re: of 5w30 is ok, 0w30 is even better for cold protection....

SugarRushMurano said:
however, it is quite rare to find 0w30 mix is it not?
Mobil One makes 0w30 which is widely available in most auto stores. I don't think 0w30 is necessary unless you live somewhere where the weather goes to -20 all the time.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
I use m1 0w40 , seldom 0w30...

but Eric, you are right, if it is not freezing cold (like canada for example) the zero-weight oil might be overkill.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Here in Manitoba we go through some pretty cold winters and use of 0/30W oil is not at all common. Keep in mind a benefit of synthetic is that 5/30W flows quite well even at -40's. All Canadian Murano's come with a block heater as standard equipment so in cold weather vehicles are "plugged in" and engines are kept warm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts