Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the 5zigen murano exhaust...believe it is just the rear section. Also 5zigen has a MO on their site with the Gravis wheel, my friend has these on his fx (in chrome), they look hot.
I'm looking for a nice deep sounding exhaust, but can't fathom shelling out so much $$$ for the nismo weldina or prussian blue.
If anyone has any experience with this rear muffler please share- quality, sound?

http://www.5zigenusa.com/main.html

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
wow i had no idea yet another company made exhausts for the murano. it looks like its just the muffler and not a cat back system so there defenitly will be a change in sound. you may want to email 5zigen and ask them about what it sounds like. please post your findings if you do and a price if available.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Finally got an email

Heres some info from 5ZIGEN.

Thank you for your inquiry.
5ZIGEN has 2 types of exhaust system for Murano.

Mega muffler (axle-back, RH/LH single tip)
http://www.5zigen.co.jp/product/muffler/fb_mega/index.html
standard tip MSRP $740.00, blue burned tip MSRP $840.00, available for 3.5L V6 AWD and 3.5L V6 FWD.

LAX touring (axle-back, dual mufflers)
http://www.5zigen.co.jp/product/muffler/lax_touring/index.html
MSRP $800.00, available for 2.5L L4 FWD model

Both of them are street legal in Japan.
So, it is not too loud, under 93 db, with deep tone.
Unfortunately, we have no sound clips.

For your ordering, please contact one of 5ZIGEN dealers near you.

Best Regards,

Tsuyoshi Inoue, Sales Manager
5ZIGEN USA

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Altering the back pressure may not be very wise. As you reduce back pressure, your take off torque will go down. Unless your Mo lives at 6000 rpm, I just can't see it.

I can not understand why anyone would want the Mo louder.

Loud does not equal fast--unless you are talking top fuel or circle track cars, which I don't think you can begin to equate Mo with. Those cars live well above 8000 rpm. F1 as well.

I still snicker as the Mo walks off and leaves a screaming ricer with a coffee can exhaust, and she does it almost silently.
:D

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, back pressure is bad for power in EFI engines. It was good for power in carburated engines, but that's not what we have. What is bad for power in EFI engines is low exhaust gas velocity. If you can get good exhaust gas velocity with low back pressure you've got a great combination.

Mufflers affect back pressure. Exhaust pipe diameter affects exhaust gas velocity. If you make your pipe diameter (not tip diameter) larger, you decrease exhaust gas velocity. Higher velocity helps cylinder scavenging, which is why, unless you go forced induction, you should stick with stock pipe diameter.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Tyler_Canada & mgthe3-

You guys made some good points, however I am sure they are falling on deaf ears. There are those out there that believe LOUD equates to FAST. Why else do you see "fart cans" on Saturn Ions and Geo Metros (or why, as a kid, I drilled out the muffler on my Tecumseh-powered go-kart).

Sometimes facts just have no place in reality. :D

-njjoe

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Maybe the point isn't to make it louder, but to make it sound better.

Ford spent how much money researching exactly what exhaust tone people like, so they could make their vehicles sound sexy. I have to admit, the Murano doesn't sound as good as it could.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i wish the MO could sound like a Z... or a g35coupe, or and fx35, or a 300M special edition, or a hummer H3 with a magnaflow exhaust.... all those cars sound sexy....

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Halo said:
Agree 110% with the above 3 posts. Why make a 16 second car louder?
:21:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Until there is proof that this exhaust improves performance, its just a $800 sound mod. Back in my Maxima days, we found that the single most significant exhaust mod to improve the VQ's performance was to replace the factory Y-pipe - that was good for ~15hp alone. Adding a cold air intake and less restrictive cat-back exhaust would push it into the total 20hp range. Not sure if such an application would exist for the Murano.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
there is a cold air intake available for the murano and you can always get a custom cat back and y-pipe made at any reputable exhaust center for much cheeper than the 5zigen exhaust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts