Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know there's big talk about how godly the CVT is, but quite frankly, it's not very possible to be adding large gobs of power and expecting the tranny to be able to handle the pressure. so this is what i've been dreaming up.. swapping the CVT transmission in favor of a 6Spd from the 350z. haha feel free to comment. im guessing i could buy a fairly new transmission for roughly $1k or under and probably custom fabricate the bell housing, n etc.. ect.. maybe use an aftermarket clutch, and blah blah blah, but any opinions or input is more than welcome and if all goes as planned, my MO will be in the shop for it's MT within the next 6 months. sorry, i hate the cvt tranny and haha a 6spd for this amazing of a car just seems so right to me.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Good luck with this! :D

I think you should push the tranny until it breaks. ;) Kind of like being a tester for the rest of the Murano enthusiasts! Afterall, the Murano's transmission is supposed to be better/faster than an automatic, but slower than a Manual. I think that a smooth no shift 13 second quarter mile would be awesome!

Regardless, I am definitely interested in seeing this process develop! :29:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Is the Z rear wheel drive? If it is, wouldn't the tranny be too long for the side mount motor?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a lot of kinks to work out haha, but im tinkering with the thought of having a true AWD murano. yes the 350z is rwd, but given the length of the murano, i think you could possibly fit it. i've found a farirly new MT on sale on ebay for $1200! =D right around my budget. is $8k enough? :confused: im hoping that will cover all the parts and the labor haha. and i'll drive the cvt for another 6 months on my own endurance tests haha. i was also talking to a friend of mine who works at DTM in alhambra. he wanted to possibly use my car as a prototype for his friends shop in where we would try to fit a greddy 350z tt kit with low boost, creating custom parts as we go ( ie turbo back exhaust, custom piping for intercooler, etc.. ) haha i dont know how the cvt would take the extra power ( aiming for a 30-40% increase in hp ) so maybe 250-260hp whp? haha an estimation.. well i'll keep you all updated. im excited though haha.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Taking a $35,000 vehicle and using it as a genie pig is just beyond my comprehension. You might as well take your warranty and through it out the window. Just my $.02 though.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The Murano/Altima is a *totally* different platform from the 350Z/G35/FX platform. Not only is the former FWD but the engine is also transversly mounted, *none* of the parts will be swappable between the two vehicle families besides maybe deep internal motor parts of the VQ35.

·
Matthew Lesko
102 Posts
great idea haha. a 6mt murano would be awesome haha. gluck though haha.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Now that I think about it, the 5-speed from the Altima might fit...just probably not AWD.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
A 6spd manual in a Murano would require suspension enhancements as well to match the increased level of performance.

The way I see it, if you want a sporty car, buy one to begin with. If you want a stylish crossover, thats what Murano is for.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I own both the MO and the 3.5 Altima. No doubt the Alti is much faster all around. The pick up is sometimes much more than one anticipates and I find myself thrown back in the drivers seat saying holy ****.
I gotta agree with Swill. Fooling with the power train may just be foolish. The MO will have absoloutley no resale value.
I do respect the fact it's your MO and your money and no one should tell you what you should and should not do. Of course if money is not an issue and you would not mind taking a huge loss on resale value, have fun.
Bob1

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i am planning on purchasing an fx35 soon so the MO is a toy for now. =D i love the MO but the cvt just doesn't tickle me the way a 6spd MT does. all things taken into consideration tho.. there will be A LOT of major planning involved in this project if i do indeed go through with it. the MO is a sporty car, an "Urban Utility Vehicle" as the sales person told me. to me it's like an oversized sedan rather than an suv so the 6spd just seems like the best choice haha. who knows, if this gets done either by me or somebody else, you might be seeing MT offered with the MO in future models! =] i hate not being able to spin all the tires as a launch and i hate not feeling the push of the 3.5 liter engine as i floor it. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am making a couple of assumptioms but, isn't the Maxima also the same platform as the altima and Murano? If so, I would assume the Maxima must come with a 6sp manual right? wrong???

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Wherre do you plan to get this 6 speed manual with the integrated AWD transaxle?
L&LOL

·
Registered
472 Posts
Why not buy the 2004 SE Murano with the 6 speed manual mode CVT if you like to play around with manually selecting the gears. The manual mode will allow you to select the gear you want and rev the engine to the limits set by the CVT controller.

·
Matthew Lesko
102 Posts
Must be nice to have a job at 16 that allows you to have an FX35 and a Murano.

I need to get a job at Smoothie King.

Seriously though, can an admin ban this guy?

·
Registered
117 Posts
1986 would make him 18, not 16. Might want to take smoothie king into consideration.

·
Matthew Lesko
102 Posts
I didn't look for his birthday. The 16 guess was based on the haha. =] haha. =] haha. =] haha.

But hey... I was close.

·
Registered
117 Posts
lol, I take back my last statement. That was a very good educated guess :eek:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts