Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have about 53,000 miles on my 2003 murano. What are the important car parts changed when my car's mileage is 60,000. If I follow the nissan schedule (Major Maintenance) some of the work the nissan dealership is probably not necessary. I love my murano and want to take care what is really important. Thanks

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
At 60K I intend to change the CVT fluid.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Just do whatever the maintenance schedule in your owners manual recommends. A CVT fluid change is not a bad idea either.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
If the fluid is clean, doesn't smell burnt, and passes the built in sensor test, why change it?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Well, even if it passes, it won't measure like new. And you won't know the rate of deterioration......And then when the CVT fails, it might fail the test.....too late.
Preventative maintenance is a good thing IMO.

Homer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how about replacing the following murano parts:
1. upper and lower hoses (radiator hoses)
2. fuel fliter
3. drive belt (serpentine Belt)
4. cvt transmision fluid?

If I am missing anything let me know. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
ljsoriano said:
how about replacing the following murano parts:
1. upper and lower hoses (radiator hoses)
2. fuel fliter
3. drive belt (serpentine Belt)
4. cvt transmision fluid?

The Murano doesn't really have a replacable fuel filter per se, but rather its part of the fuel pump assembly. The FSM says this is "not a servicable part."

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

If you have not flushed the cooling system, I'd do so.
Brake pads? Make sure you have enough meat on there, you don't want to go back in a few thousand miles for new ones. A new air filter goes without saying and that micro-filter probably needs a looks see. We have many threads about doing that yourself and there is no way I'm paying someone 60-70-80 bucks for a change on that micro that you can do yourself in 15 minutes without as much as a screwdriver.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Gonzo said:

Build in sensor test?
The CVT electronics contain an algorythm that calculates theoretical wear of the CVT fluid. The calculated wear figure can be read using the CONSULT-II. The Service Manual states the following:

"CVTF DETERIORATION DATE"
More than 210000: It is necessary to change the CVT fluid.
Less than 210000: It is not necessary to change the CVT fluid.

The 210000 represents a "unit-less" value.

From earlier posts, no MO has yet to come even close to the 210000 figure. That can mean one of two things - the Nissan CVT fluid is superbly engineered for the task (which is entirely possible) or the 210000 figure is overly-optimistic. I am hoping for the former.

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
I teach "Condition Based Maintenence" as a way of optimizing maintenence cost and imroving reliability. So I do believe that CVT fluid can be tested and based on the results changed ot or not.

njjoe,
the number means notihing to me. We just have to trust Nissan that they did devised a proper test and the number has some meaning. 210000 does seem high but it is just a number. Who knows what in this case is high and what is low.

When 60,000 come I intend to do normal maintenance as per Nissan schedule.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What exactly is CONSULT II? Never heard of it...

njjoe said:

The CVT electronics contain an algorythm that calculates theoretical wear of the CVT fluid. The calculated wear figure can be read using the CONSULT-II. The Service Manual states the following:

"CVTF DETERIORATION DATE"
More than 210000: It is necessary to change the CVT fluid.
Less than 210000: It is not necessary to change the CVT fluid.

The 210000 represents a "unit-less" value.

From earlier posts, no MO has yet to come even close to the 210000 figure. That can mean one of two things - the Nissan CVT fluid is superbly engineered for the task (which is entirely possible) or the 210000 figure is overly-optimistic. I am hoping for the former.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
CONSULT-II is the name for the Nissan scan tool.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just had my 60K service this weekend, and had them test the CVT fluid. My reading came in at 9,690. Based on this reading, and assuming the same rate of deterioration, I shouldn't have to change my CVT fluid for a few million miles or so. Wouldn't it be nice if this was the case?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
From earlier posts, no MO has yet to come even close to the 210000 figure. That can mean one of two things - the Nissan CVT fluid is superbly engineered for the task (which is entirely possible) or the 210000 figure is overly-optimistic.

I'm sticking to my own theory that says there is just not a whole lot of stuff going on in the CVT. Couple a belts, a couple of cones. Nothing like a convention tranny with all the gears and clutches.
I'll say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :25:

Bob1

·
Registered
94 Posts
Gonzo, see njjoe's earlier post in this thread.

"The calculated wear figure can be read using the CONSULT-II."

How can they get an accurate reading from this? Wouldn't they need to actually test the fluid, and not base it on a calculation?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Gonzo said:
What is the value/limit when the CVT fluid should be changed?
Gonzo-

According to the 2005 service manual, when interrogating the CVT using the CONSULT-II diagnostic tool, if the value in the field called "CVTF DETERIORATION DATE" exceeds 210,000 then "it is necessary" to change the CVT fluid.

-njjoe

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Sure would like to know how they determine that 210,000 number.

The guy that designed the algorithm is not going to help you pay for the new tyranny if the algorithm is wrong, or if the algorithm is ok for most cars....but not YOURS.

If it truly is an arithmetic result of some digitized parameters. and not an actual testing of the fluid, then I will change my position from "I will change at 60K" to fist pounding on the table, shouting to the sky, recommending that everybody change their tranny fluid at 60K ........AS IS RECOMMENDED BY EVERY TRANNY GUY THAT I EVER MET, WITH ANY AUTO TRANNY.

Homer

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
........AS IS RECOMMENDED BY EVERY TRANNY GUY THAT I EVER MET, WITH ANY AUTO TRANNY.

Homer, I do agree with that theory with any automatic tranny.
I'm not so sure about this issue with a CVT. I was also reluctant when told some years back that our plugs can last till...what is it up to 75, 85, 105000 miles?? I was convinced years ago that we had to change them every 15 or 20K. I slowly came to grips with the fact that I did not need to do that with the new autos. Maybe we are all in a learning curve on this issue.:8:
Bob1

1 - 20 of 31 Posts