Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I scheduled the 60k service that’s $700 at the dealership,. Includes the oil change, tire rotation, brake fluid flush, cut fluid exchange, new fob battery, new wipers, battery service and etc….I negotiated with them and got the price down to $600. My sunroof drains were clogged. I looked on YouTube and saw a video of them using the liquid plumber, with the two separate sides(ingredients). It worked for 3 of the four drains. The driver rear drain, which was the one leaking into the car, was super clogged and the liquid plumber leaked into the car… Long story short, they charged me $225 to unclog the drains. Then they tell me I have a power steering leak and it’s $770 to fix. I thought it had electric power steering. Is this $770 a reasonable price to fix the power steering leak? I think they are hurting for money. There weren’t many new cars on the lot.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
3rd gen Muranos have a hybrid electrical/hydraulic power steering system. It differs from convention power steering by using an electric power steering pump in place of a conventional engine driven belt drive pump. So unlike 100% electric power steering, it still has power steering fluid.

Power steering leaks are fairly rare for 3rd gen Muranos, I can't even recall hearing of one in this forum... I would have them tell you where it's leaking from, and to show you. You may want to get a second opinion if you are not mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'd never use anything caustic in those drain tubes/lines, since I think it could create more damage over time as the residue remains in there and might slowly dissolve the lines. If I were going to use any chemical to desludge a delicate, well-hidden line, I'd probably go with... This stuff is amazing.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3rd gen Muranos have a hybrid electrical/hydraulic power steering system. It differs from convention power steering by using an electric power steering pump in place of a conventional engine driven belt drive pump. So unlike 100% electric power steering, it still has power steering fluid.

Power steering leaks are fairly rare for 3rd gen Muranos, I can't even recall hearing of one in this forum... I would have them tell you where it's leaking from, and to show you. You may want to get a second opinion if you are not mechanically inclined.
Thanks. The service guy says the leak is not severe and I could wait til my next oil change to get it fixed. He didn’t say where it was but I knew something was wrong with the steering. I think I will let my husband handle it, as I have no idea what the heck is going on. I know they see a women and $$$ charges jump on the invoice. my husband just explained to me how the charges on the invoice were basically inflated, and I should not get service at the dealership anymore. I figured I bought the car there, they know the car, why not. I got new windshield wipers $75. I thought that was a little off. $$$

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Thanks. The service guy says the leak is not severe and I could wait til my next oil change to get it fixed. He didn’t say where it was but I knew something was wrong with the steering. I think I will let my husband handle it, as I have no idea what the heck is going on. I know they see a women and $$$ charges jump on the invoice. my husband just explained to me how the charges on the invoice were basically inflated, and I should not get service at the dealership anymore. I figured I bought the car there, they know the car, why not. I got new windshield wipers $75. I thought that was a little off. $$$
You mentioned that you knew something was wrong with your power steering -- can you explain what made you think this?

Did you share this issue with them prior to them mentioning you have a power steering leak?

Reactions: mushroomNgrass

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You mentioned that you knew something was wrong with your power steering -- can you explain what made you think this?

Did you share this issue with them prior to them mentioning you have a power steering leak?
My husband was sharp turning left. He said it felt like there was no power steering. you know how easy the steering is? you could tell something was wrong. It felt like way more effort was needing to make a turn. i back into my parking space. on the initial drive forward and cut the wheel to get out of the space I would hear noises and I could feel the wheel was not easy to turn. It’s like I felt resistance. After they filled it with power steering fluid I can turn the wheel with my pinky. Smooth and easy. i mentioned it was hard making turns. I didn’t mention a thing about power steering.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
My husband was sharp turning left. He said it felt like there was no power steering. you know how easy the steering is? you could tell something was wrong. It felt like way more effort was needing to make a turn. i back into my parking space. on the initial drive forward and cut the wheel to get out of the space I would hear noises and I could feel the wheel was not easy to turn. It’s like I felt resistance. After they filled it with power steering fluid I can turn the wheel with my pinky. Smooth and easy. i mentioned it was hard making turns. I didn’t mention a thing about power steering.
Okay, yeah, that does mean you have a leak. I would check the power steering fluid level prior to driving until you have the problem resolved, it's potentially dangerous...

Be sure to update this forum on what problem is found and the resolution. I would also check the work order or call the dealership to better understand what they feel is the problem so that you know what the $770 will cover.

Is it a Nissan dealership?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, yeah, that does mean you have a leak. I would check the power steering fluid level prior to driving until you have the problem resolved, it's potentially dangerous...

Be sure to update this forum on what problem is found and the resolution. I would also check the work order or call the dealership to better understand what they feel is the problem so that you know what the $770 will cover.

Is it a Nissan dealership?
Yes.it’s the Nissan dealership I bought the car from. My Snook had never been serviced anywhere else and I’ve followed the maintenance schedule per manual.

·
Registered
214 Posts
$75 for windshield wipers may seem a lot but. Complete wipers both sides original equipment holders and blades are about $30. Add $45 for installation about 25 min. of shop time. Is not that bad. Maybe your husband could learn how to do some of the simple things. Wiper refills can be purchased for less than $20. Easy to install. I'm a senior with arthritis and can do it. Just saw my next door lady do hers too.

·
Administrator
9,260 Posts
$75 for windshield wipers may seem a lot but. Complete wipers both sides original equipment holders and blades are about $30. Add $45 for installation about 25 min. of shop time. Is not that bad. Maybe your husband could learn how to do some of the simple things. Wiper refills can be purchased for less than $20. Easy to install. I'm a senior with arthritis and can do it. Just saw my next door lady do hers too.
In the US, if you go to a parts store like Advance or AutoZone and buy wipers, they'll install them for you at no charge. It takes less than three minutes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Uh hubby replaced the wipers with rain x replacements and they were garbage. The original wipers lasted almost 2 years. Maybe that’s something I can do myself. Thanks Canuckguy. Thanks Pilgrim as I didn’t know auto zone installed.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Uh hubby replaced the wipers with rain x replacements and they were garbage. The original wipers lasted almost 2 years. Maybe that’s something I can do myself. Thanks Canuckguy. Thanks Pilgrim as I didn’t know auto zone installed.
I like to use original equipment wipers from Nissan. Cost a little more but worth it. Last longer and work better than pretty much everything else. Complete frame and rubber is fairly easy to install. Just rubber inserts are more of a challenge. Lots of tutorials on line show how to do it.

·
Administrator
9,260 Posts
The OEM wipers are better, but they're just as simple to change. Anyone with reasonable mobility can do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts