Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my 7500 mile maintenance done using the schedule 1 service at the Dealer and I was charged $108 here in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. Just want to compare prices and if this sounds reasonable or not. I guess I was under the impression that the first few maintenance schedules were free? (or is that just wishful thinking)

In case you don't know what the 7500m maintenance schedule is:

Replace engine oil and filter
Lubricate propeller shaft (4WD)
Rotate tires (except 350Z)
plus+
Inspect a few things..

Just curious.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
I bring in my own synthetic oil..

and my 7.5K cost around $75 in maryland area. So yeah, $108 is still within reasonable limit of dealer charges.

Free maintenance only exist on Audi/BMW/Merzb and recently Mitsu.
Japanese car manufacturer seldom includes free maintenance in their standard bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input! :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I bought mine the first two scheduled maintenance times were free as well as the free oil changes for life thing, which is great. So I haven't paid yet. But I've got the 15k service on monday, which I think I'll end up paying. The service scheduler told me it was $125, which I can see being it involves more than the 7,500 service (I think).

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Has anyone ever figured out "lubricate propellor shaft"? It isn't covered in the shop manual anywhere.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The propeller shaft looks to be a two piece driveshaft, so it probably has at least two sets of universal joints, plus there is a carrier or "hanger"bearing. Most u-joints are"lubed for life" these days. I'll crawl underneath over the weekend and see if I can find any grease fittings.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Well, maybe I am wrong but I think the propeller shaft is only on AWD Muranos.
I thought it was the shaft between the two differentials.

I don't think the FWD half shafts are ever called propeller shafts.

Homer

·
Registered
717 Posts
OK now I'm getting confused, I thought the propellor shaft was only on full time 4WD like pathfinder?

I could of sworn I searched the service manual for the 03 Murano (electronically) and couldn't find any reference to a propellor shaft, in any way.

·
Read Only
554 Posts
Free maintenance . . .

A lot depends on your dealer. Mine gave free first service (3,500). After that, its pay as you go. I'll probably go to the dealer closer to me (stinks for sales - but have yet to try their service department).

By the way, MB is stopping the free routine maintenance. There was a story in Auto News this week that DCAG decided to end that and save itself some money. Probably not a smart move for a high end car company . . .

·
Registered
416 Posts
The AWD model weighs approx. 200lbs. more than the FWD...I assume this extra weight means the AWD has a rear differential, drive shaft, and transfer case...the FWD doesn't....if the maintenance schedule for an FWD recommends lubing a "propeller" shaft, I'm really confused as to what they mean....

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
senza said:
....if the maintenance schedule for an FWD recommends lubing a "propeller" shaft, I'm really confused as to what they mean....
Propeller shaft, aka drive line, aka drive shaft is there to transfer power from the transmission/transfercase to the rear wheels. FWD car simply does not use the rear wheels to move so it does not have a propeller shaft. They (Nissan) probably usethe same set of standardized recommendations for all cars, much like their manuals, except that some items on the list are not going to be applicable to all models.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I guess we all know now what a propellor shaft IS, But how does Nissan lube it???

·
Registered
364 Posts
To get back to zeddic's original question, just had 12000km, (7500ml) service today. Dealer's stated price is Cdn $69.95.
However since I took my own synthetic in, they charged me $17.49 for the oil filter and labour, $32.50 for the balance of the service and $3.38 environmental fee for a grand total of $54.27 before taxes. :D

They also publish a leaflet advertising the prices and what is included for all scheduled maintenance plus additional costs for air filter change, cabin filter change, brake work, etc. Actually two costs per item depending on if you have an item completed in conjunction with scheduled maintenance (cheaper) or not. Its generic to the entire Nissan line and does make mention of the propeller shaft lube at 7500ml.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rjardin, that's a great price you paid for the same exact service I had. I guess benefits of living in Canada eh? I have another dealership about the same distance as this one that I will have to try next time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts