Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm bouncing at 6900 miles on the MO and that service alarm will soon sound. I'm leary of going to the dealer cause I hate getting ripped off. I'm thinking about a local service, I have a guy I can trust.
Would you guys suggest anything other then tire rotate/balance and oil change? I'm not sure if there is anything else. Do they need to check the drive belt tension or anything?
What did you folks pay at the dealer for this service?
Looking for some opinions as to what you did at 7500 and what you folks out there like me approaching 7500 are going to do.
Bob1

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
I paid $85 for my service...

I think it is a bit high but a typical cost at dealer:
oil change (filter),
tire rotation,
lubed propeler shaft,
compresion test on coolant system,
free balancing (waranty work),
14pt inspections.

I still think it is acceptable.
It cost me around $150- 200 dollars for Audi's similar maintenance :rolleyes:

·
5,244 Posts
paid around same price. I believe i was taken for a ride........:(

With FX I did just oils change and rotated tires myself. Anything else is waste of maney - 150 point inspections!!!!!!!!!!!I simply do not believe it...........

·
Registered
420 Posts
$41.00

Changed oil and filter, lube, tire rotation, 27-point safety inspection.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
All you really need is the oil change and tire rotation, should not cost more than $40 at the dealership. All those other checks, you can do it yourself parked in your driveway.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Every time I read this, I go back to the maintenance manual. Where/how does the propellor shaft get lubricated. There are no fittings. If someone knows where they are, please give me a reference.
I think this is a dealer rip-off.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yea, fancy name for drive shaft.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did mine yesterday - oil change and tire rotation - $44.88

They were $19.95 each plus a $4.14 environmental fee, plus tax.

My milage was 6924 and I've owned the MO for 14 months

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Kris said:
Anything else is waste of money - 150 point inspections!!!!!!!!!!!I simply do not believe it...........
Not only that, they usually don't bother checking. I stopped taking my cars in for oil changes when I found out that they weren't even bothering to check the tire pressure properly.

Try this: Before going in, let out some of the air of one of your tires. Just a little, to drop it to about 28 psi. Enough so that it's low, but doesn't LOOK low. When they're done and you're going over your paperwork, check what they said for your tires. Ask them "how was the tire pressure?" They'll probably say "Oh, it was fine, right at 32psi." Before getting in your car, use your own guage and check that tire. I bet it will still be 28psi.

I did that 4 separate times, twice at a fast lube place and twice at dealerships (Honda and Chevy). Same results each time.

If they won't even bother to check the tire pressure properly, what makes you think that they're checking anything else properly?

Oh, and one more rant on this subject, they always seem to charge for more oil than they should. They charge me for 5.5 quarts when changing the oil on my wife's Prizm. When I do it myself, I can only get about 3.75 quarts in there. Hmmmmmmm.....

So, needless to say, I don't trust them to do simple things. I don't really trust them to do complex things either, but since I can't do them myself my hands are tied.

~ Corin

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Speaking of doing maintenance on your own, has anyone had any problems with the dealerships complaining about warrantee work if you do the maintenance yourself rather than having a certified shop do the work? What kind of proof do you really need to have if they cause a stink? Are receipts for the oil filter and oil good enough?

~ Corin

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Funny that you mention it... I have receipts from the oil filters but never kept them for the oil itself..... I guess I should start keeping them.

7500 mile check - change the oil and rotate the tires... have a good day!

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
No one has answered my question about "lubricating the propellor shaft" yet, except to inform me (which I already knew) that it was the drive shaft.

·
5,244 Posts
I was wondering myself.....that's why I created Maintenance log. I log in all maintenance and scan all receipts (original paper copies go to the proper place as well). You can see hyperlinks to scanned documents. In that way I have access to all my records.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great response's guys, keep those cards and letters flowing.
Looks like alot of you are like me. I don't mind paying for stuff as long as I'm getting something for my money.
Coppercat and Graydonl, was that a dealer service or your local garage? If that was balance and rotation plus oil it was a good price. Just rotation and oil..ehh, typical dealer price.
I'm sure this will be a useful thread to many coming up that 7500 interval. Thanks Bob1

·
Registered
420 Posts
bob1

Had it done at the dealer. No balancing, just rotation. Also got a free car wash and donuts.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
CopperKat said:
bob1

Had it done at the dealer. No balancing, just rotation. Also got a free car wash and donuts.

Ha! Free? Or did it really cost the extra 30% that dealers like to tack on just because they're a dealer?

Cynical? No, not me... :)

~ Corin

·
Registered
34 Posts
The $41 oil change and tire rotation was at the Nissan dealer where I bought it. It is in Warner Robins GA and they have only sold 20 2003 & 2004 MO's. So when I asked about my continuing door lock problem they said they don't see enough MO's to address the problem. Oh well I carry the valet key in my wallet

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
graydonl said:
The $41 oil change and tire rotation was at the Nissan dealer where I bought it. It is in Warner Robins GA and they have only sold 20 2003 & 2004 MO's. So when I asked about my continuing door lock problem they said they don't see enough MO's to address the problem. Oh well I carry the valet key in my wallet

The dealer response is not acceptable. There is a TSB on the door lock problem, they should have looked it up for you. Call your dealer back and ask them to service your Murano per the door lock TSB. If they refuse, go to another dealer and let Nissan USA know via the 1-800 number.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I had a similiar experience with the door locking issue... they told me they "could not reproduce it".... This was before I knew about the TSB I asked if they called Nissan and of course they said they did.

The next day I found the TSB myself and called back to make an appointment. The service rep was surprised that there was a TSB. They applied it and I have not had an issue since.

If you don't get this fixed it will bite you in the [email protected]# some day....
gauranteed. :bootyshak

I would strongly suggest taking Eric L's advice and get it fixed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts