Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the dealer today for 7500 mile oil change, tire rotation, and general check out. The bill was $95. Doesn't this seem excessive?! :mad:

I am glad to say I have no other issues with the MO and am still quite pleased every time I drive it.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Well its the dealer, they always charge pretty high prices. Actually at 7500 miles, there isn't much to do. You can really do the oil change and tire rotation yourself if you have some time. I'm not sure what they inspect at 7500 miles, but I bet it isn't much.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Good reason to go somewhere else. My 1998 Trooper was in the dealer's shop twice in 5 years. I hope to be able to break that excellent record with the MO.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's cheap!!!, my dealership charged me $115. I guess I'm not coming back there again.

Now, I have a question.

Do you have to go to the the nissan dealership to have our cars done to be under warranty? Cause my brother has his own auto shop and can do all the necessary work (fix/change/replacements) if and when necessary. I trust my brother from 20 years of experience than those younguns with hardly any experience (from those I saw at the dealership I go to anyway), especially specializing in foreign cars and trucks.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
whitemo said:
That's cheap!!!, my dealership charged me $115. I guess I'm not coming back there again.

Now, I have a question.

Do you have to go to the the nissan dealership to have our cars done to be under warranty? Cause my brother has his own auto shop and can do all the necessary work (fix/change/replacements) if and when necessary. I trust my brother from 20 years of experience than those younguns with hardly any experience (from those I saw at the dealership I go to anyway), especially specializing in foreign cars and trucks.
Your brother is a mechanic and you still bring your car to the dealership? No, you do not need to ever bring your Nissan to the dealership, except for warranty repairs. As long as you have documented maintenance history, they will honor your factory warranty.

·
5,268 Posts
Eric L. said:

Your brother is a mechanic and you still bring your car to the dealership? No, you do not need to ever bring your Nissan to the dealership, except for warranty repairs. As long as you have documented maintenance history, they will honor your factory warranty.
Eric,

what exactly is "documented maintenance history". Do the receipts for example, that you purchased oil and oil filter will suffice?

·
Registered
117 Posts
i just checked my 7500 service sheet,
and it only cost me $24.97,
they inspected everything under the normal schedual, and did an oil change, and tire rotation, great dealership, gave me free oil changes for the life of the car, and i didn't even buy it at that dealership, tho i probably would have, if i had known about it.

-Nerf

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Kris said:

Eric,

what exactly is "documented maintenance history". Do the receipts for example, that you purchased oil and oil filter will suffice?

I believe receipts for oil and filter purchase should suffice.

·
Registered
52 Posts
24.97 is a great price.. I knew my 7500 would be expensive (since dealers always over charge for tire work), but I was happy to get out for $80. I figure this early it's not a bad thing to have pay the dealer to do the work since they will, in therory, catch something that would be under warranty and fix it. They get paid by the warranty company, I assume, so they should look at it the same as if it was coming out of my pocket. I also told them I had a slight shimmy at 60mph and a slight pull to the left - better to have that checked out and dealt with under warranty now than after 12000 miles when they tell me alignment is my problem.

My dealer only charges $19 for the oil change, which is worth it to me to not have to deal with used oil - and I shouldn't have to worry about the nightmares of oil change shops adding ATF to my CVT..

As soon as I replace the tires, there will be no more tire related work done at the dealer. Discount Tire (called other things outside of SoCal) does balance/rotation for free if you buy the tires from them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What are the services included in the 7.500 miles check up? oil, tire rotation...what else?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
xtremeboyme84 said:
What are the services included in the 7.500 miles check up? oil, tire rotation...what else?
Change oil and filter, rotate tires, and a bunch of inspections you can do yourself at home parked on your driveway.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
tkris said:
24.97 is a great price.. I knew my 7500 would be expensive (since dealers always over charge for tire work), but I was happy to get out for $80. I figure this early it's not a bad thing to have pay the dealer to do the work since they will, in therory, catch something that would be under warranty and fix it. They get paid by the warranty company, I assume, so they should look at it the same as if it was coming out of my pocket. I also told them I had a slight shimmy at 60mph and a slight pull to the left - better to have that checked out and dealt with under warranty now than after 12000 miles when they tell me alignment is my problem.

My dealer only charges $19 for the oil change, which is worth it to me to not have to deal with used oil - and I shouldn't have to worry about the nightmares of oil change shops adding ATF to my CVT..

As soon as I replace the tires, there will be no more tire related work done at the dealer. Discount Tire (called other things outside of SoCal) does balance/rotation for free if you buy the tires from them.

It is true that in theory, the dealership service technician should find warranty related problems and fix it for you. Unfortunately that tends not to be the case, and unless you specifically point out a problem to them, they will not detect it. I've even heard horror stories about people bringing in their Nissans to the dealership to have a problem checked out, and the dealer charges them for the inspection because they could not find the problem (i.e. no problem = not under warranty = charge for time and labor). Thats terrible!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Kwik oil and lube. 30 bucks for the oil change. Some do tire rotations too for a little extra. A buddy told me that Discount tire will rotate for about 10 bucks. It's free if you bought the tires from them.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Be very careful with tire rotations by oil guys.

They have a one size fits all mentality and they have their air guns on STUN!

First of all there have been enough horror stories around here about warped rotors. I suspect that it can be a wheel/lug problem in some instances.
In any event, these are alloy wheels.
They should NEVER have an air wrench on them, but most certainly not when being mounted.
These wheels need to be hand torqued (80 lbs I believe, but you should check that.....my memory is not what it once was) and they need to be torqued using a star patterb sequence.

Do it wrong, too much torque, out of sequence, and you will warp the rotors. You may damage the wheels also. And you "can" damage the lugs*. And that BTW can happen on any car.

Homer

* 1997 Chrysler can have the lugs twisted off with 100 lbs of pressure. I know. I lost two to our local "Oil Can" kid.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It turns out my 7500 mile service includes the 10,000 mile oil change in addition to the 7500 mile oil change..

Why, you ask? Because the technician (I'm not willing to call him a mechanic) left 1 lug finger tight on 3 of 4 wheels.. Fortunatly I was driving my vette for a few days after I had the work on the MO done, so the MO was garaged except for the 5 mile drive home from the dealer until I was leaving for lunch on Sat with a friend.. I park in the garage such that you can't get in the passenger side until I pull out into the driveway (vette has very wide doors, have to hug the wall to prevent accidental self inflicted door dings), and my friend asked before he got into the car "What's that wierd noise? Sounds like a can rattling around"

It was a lug loose inside the lug cover.. Grrrrr. :3:

There was no visible wear/damage from the thing rattling around, so I put it back and checked the other 3 tires.. I then called the dealer because they need to know about htis sort of thing to keep it from happening to someone who's afraid of wrenches.. they're comp'ing my next oil change for the trouble.

Coulda been worse, but I'll have to get back into the habit of checking their work before driving off.. :/

·
Registered
37 Posts
I ran a pole on this site or at FA recently on the cost of 7500 mile service. The average was $75, low was around $40 and high was around $125 (in bay area, CA).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have any of you guys who do your own oil changed actually been asked to prove that your car is properly maintained by providing some sort of record? I've never had a Nissan, but neither Subaru or VW have ever asked me to prove that, and I do the oild changes still for my wife's VW which just had a bit more warranty work. I've always thought that it's pretty obvious to a good mechanic if you're running your oil too long between changes, not changing your fuel filter, etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts