Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that my A/C always keeps popping on when I turn on the defrost button and or the recirc button as well. Is this just the way they set these to work in the factory or is this a issue with my car? So someone please try this if they could. crank the heat up full blast to 90 then leave it on floor or vent or either doesnt matter then hit the defrost button, not the front or rear but the defrost button and the A/C will pop on. Another time this happens is if you are in any mode and hit the recirc button instead of outside air it too puts on the A/C button. Please let me know if any of you have this issue as well. Im wanting to recirc the air in the car to heat it up faster but when the A/C pops on im afriad indeed the A/C is running thus giving me colder air as well as crappier gas mileage. Any thoughts or help would be great.

·
Registered
243 Posts
This is normal and desirable behavior. When in defrost or circ mode, the AC is turned on NOT to cool the car but to dehumidfy the air so the windows are not fogged up on circ and/or defogged efficiently.

Lately I have read that the AC units on new automobiles are so efficient that they make insignificat difference to milage. specially when it is mild or cold. Also just because AC light is on does not mean compressor is on, the computer turns it on/off depending upon the settings, out and in tempeature.

Dont worry be happy :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
I was told by an HVAC serviceman/expert that air conditioning doesn't actually cool the air, it only removes moisture from the air. The dryer the air, the colder it feels, up to a point I suppose.

In order for the defroster to really work well, the air conditioner (compressor) has to run in order to remove the moisture.

This finally explains why when I was 16 and "parking" in my Pinto with the girl friend, the windows would steam up even though we were running the car's heater at full blast. The car had no air conditioner so no matter how hard the heater worked, it couldn't remove the moisture from the car. :4:

30 years later I still remember some of those "irritating" problems we had to deal with as adolescents. :2:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts