Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 A/C quit and the dealer said it was due to a leak in the condensor caused by "road damage". A small hole was found which caused the coolant to leak out. The condenser is exposed by 6 grill openings on the 2005 and down at the bottom close to the road. I have read many issues with A/C coolant "leaks" and perhaps this is occuring on other Muranos. The unit was relaced for $800 and I'm filing a report with Nissan consumer group to have it covered under warranty (16K miles), as mentioned the dealer claims it was "road damage" and thus not covered. My concern is what will keep it from occuring again - Is the condenser material that fragile? Advice welcomed.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
ram383838-

The location of the condenser does make it vulnerable to damage from road debris. However, it's location is no more precarious that many other cars on the road.

Some members have install after-market accessory grills in the open space under the bumper. Others have fabricated their own screens.

Did you have an opportunity to view the damage condenser? I alway ask to see the damaged/replaced part when I have my cars serviced. I would want to know exactly where the leak was. I would want to see if there was obvious damage or if it was a manufacturing defect that was being covered up by the dealer.

From what I have read on the forum, I do not believe this is a very common problem. I would not worry too much unless you frequently drive on gravel and/or unpaved roads.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
If you have no success with Nissan Consumer Affairs, then your insurance "comprehensive" coverage should cover it (if your deductible is less than $800). The thin aluminum fins of the AC condensor are made for heat exchange, not rock resistance - sometimes rocks will bend the fins, sometimes they'll outright puncture the tube beneath.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I'm working with Nissan Consumer affairs - takes forever to get through to them. Also, I told my dealer to hold the bad parts.
Finally, thanks for the details on providing the meshing protection. I'm not sure why Nissan doesn't do this!.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I took off all the covers etc for the grill and could reach 2 of the 6 clips on the bottom of the grill to release it, but I'll be danged if I know how Enforcer and Corin got the bottom clips all undone. I even got my skinny 13 year old to stick his arm in there and he could barely touch the tip of the left side outer edge one. I don't see how you guys did it!

Let us know!

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Long Arms

MoPar fabricated a pair of lower grill shields for him and ME and it is what is needed to eliminate the damage potential.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
long biafrin arms

There ain't no way to stick my hams in there. It was a tight fit for my 90 pound 13 year old!
Yeah, I remember those.
Still, how do you get to those outside clips?

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Believe it or not

With my fingers !

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
you must have bent the grill out.
Can anyone do at least a crude drawing of the latch?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it is a tight fit. What upsets me is that we are having to do this on one of Nissan's high end cars. No disrespect, but if I wanted to do this type of "repair" I would have bought a Chevy or Ford. Final bill was just under $900., for a car not 1 year old. I am in contact with the SE Regional manager and Nissan consumer affairs and so far have been frustrated with both. Not at all what I expected when I decided to buy Nissan.
Just a note, I took a very good look at the old condenser and the "defect/hole". What surprised me is when I was adding the mesh protector, the new condeser looks to be of significant better metal. Curious as if to Nissan has added a better quality of metal to this part.
I'd rather be spending my time adding things like the PAC AUX port for the Ipod, or applying a good coat of wax.
Another Nissan as of today - No.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
ram383838-

When looking at the damaged core, did the hole look as if it was caused by FOD? Or was it corrosion or an inferior weld?

-njjoe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts