Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear members,

This is my first post. I own a 2006 Murano SL AWD in Toronto. It is a beautiful car, has been running with no problems (very normal driving, mileage is around 70k). However, recently the dealer told me I had to replace two broken engine mount, one front ball joint, etc which costed over $1700. they were trying to get me to do other changes before for over $2000. I just don't have the faith in them.

Now I have a new problem, that the air conditioning / temperature control does not start until 5-10 minutes later.

The symptom is that no matter whether it is the a/c, fan, or heat I set the controls to, or even setting the mode to blowing to clear window, the fan or a/c would not start immediately. THe delay is generally 5-10 minutes. Sometimes it appeared that if I maximize the temperature differences (eg set the temperature to 18 degree when the outside is 30), it may reduce the delay.

I took the car to this dealer and they told me I need to replace a unified meter & a/c AM which costs over $800. I've been searching this forum, seemed that this problem occurred with other members, but could not find the answer. After my recent experience with the dealer, I just don't want blindly follow their instructions.

Could someone help me with a second opinion, if this is the right fix of the problem? that this problem is normal with MO at this age ?

If someone know a good mechanics in toronto area who can work on nissan murano, would also appreciate the info.

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
I don't know what a "unified meter & a/c AM" are. The abbreviations don't communicate to me.

Sounds to me like the system is low on refrigerant and is just taking time to build up pressure and start cooling.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
I don't know what a "unified meter & a/c AM" are. The abbreviations don't communicate to me.

Sounds to me like the system is low on refrigerant and is just taking time to build up pressure and start cooling.
The Unified Meter and A/C Amp is the control box mounted adjacent to (beneath?) the radio head unit. It controls the operation of the HVAC system.

A low refrigerant level would not cause the fan to not start. The problem lies elsewhere.

-njjoe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maybe we can help eachother out because I am having the same problem too! I have been having this problem for the last couple of months. I talked to a couple of people and looked all over the internet for this problem. I have found out that there is a in-cabin temp senor which is located under the steering wheel which looks like a little vent. This sensor constantly sucks in air from the inside of your car and will turn the air control down or up when you have it in "auto" mode. If you unscrew that panel and take it out. You can try to clean it up and it might work for you. I tried it by it was so gunked up in there that even when I cleaned it the sensor switch inside there is sticking in some spots. Now I have to go buy one for $40 and replace it to see if that is going to do the trick. The other reason why I think it is that sensor is that when I start up my car and turn the defrosters on for the front window it doesn't work so I hit that spot where the sensor is and they turned on. So I hope this sensor really is my problem if not electrical here I come. I will replace the sensor and let you know if that worked if not and you find something else please let me know as well.
Good Luck!:confused:

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
The Unified Meter and A/C Amp is the control box mounted adjacent to (beneath?) the radio head unit. It controls the operation of the HVAC system.

A low refrigerant level would not cause the fan to not start. The problem lies elsewhere.
-njjoe
Thanks! Good info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just came back from another dealer, and the technician told me it was the relay to the blower motors that causes the problem. I' m waiting for the parts and will let you know if it fixes the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Blower Motor Issue

I just came back from another dealer, and the technician told me it was the relay to the blower motors that causes the problem. I' m waiting for the parts and will let you know if it fixes the problem.

Any update on the relay? I'm having the same issue and my Nissan Maint shop seems dumfounded.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took the car back to that dealer and they replaced the heater blower relay. The part and labor in total is $150. The problem is fixed, and they estimated it would take one hour, and the car was ready after precisely one hour. I'm happy.

So, the lesson's learned- I will never use Agincourt Nissan again.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
I took the car back to that dealer and they replaced the heater blower relay. The part and labor in total is $150. The problem is fixed, and they estimated it would take one hour, and the car was ready after precisely one hour. I'm happy.

So, the lesson's learned- I will never use Agincourt Nissan again.
Delighted to hear of the solution! It can't get cheaper than that!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maybe we can help eachother out because I am having the same problem too! I have been having this problem for the last couple of months. I talked to a couple of people and looked all over the internet for this problem. I have found out that there is a in-cabin temp senor which is located under the steering wheel which looks like a little vent. This sensor constantly sucks in air from the inside of your car and will turn the air control down or up when you have it in "auto" mode. If you unscrew that panel and take it out. You can try to clean it up and it might work for you. I tried it by it was so gunked up in there that even when I cleaned it the sensor switch inside there is sticking in some spots. Now I have to go buy one for $40 and replace it to see if that is going to do the trick. The other reason why I think it is that sensor is that when I start up my car and turn the defrosters on for the front window it doesn't work so I hit that spot where the sensor is and they turned on. So I hope this sensor really is my problem if not electrical here I come. I will replace the sensor and let you know if that worked if not and you find something else please let me know as well.
Good Luck!:confused:
Hi, Have same problem with my 2007 MO. Did replacing the in cabin temp sensor help? Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
7 Posts
ist time posting..

Kochman did the dealer replace the blower motor relay? and did this fix the problem?

I'm having the same issue on my 2006 SL..

·
Registered
250 Posts
the MO's have a very complicated heat/AC system that is controlled by a greyish box that is bolted to the bottom section of the stereo module. this is what controls the fan speed and moving the servos that direct airflow and temp etc within the car. I have seen MANY reports of this module going bad and giving the delayed start issue many describe. but i have also seen many reports of people spending mega bookoo bucks replacing the damn thing and it not fixing the problem!

to make matters worse. the system is very complicated to trouble shoot and when its cold outside that is NO FUN!

I HIGHLY recommend downloading the service manual that can be found here on this site. looking over the wiring diagrams for the 2006 model I see that the blower relay is just part of what feeds power to the AC Amp unit. there are FOUR power lines to this box and we need to test all 4 lines to make sure there is power getting to the box.

The blower relay is only one source of failure! the ign switch feeds power to the box in each of the ACC, ON and Start positions! and the blower motor itself is PWM controlled. Pulse Width Modulated so its not straight DC to the motor. but a series of width controlled pulses that vary the blower motor speed. plus a bunch of sensors etc etc.

and all of this is tied to and controlled by the CAN buss within the vehicle making it extra extra special!

So, starting with the basics...we need to test for power at pins 21, 22, 35 and 46 at the AC amp module when in the delayed start issue. no power at any one of these pins will cause problems!

we also need to make sure there is a good solid ground connection at pins 29 and 30

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been reading alot about this problem all over the Internet and I have found out the 90 percent of the time it's the blower motor relay that is causing this to do this...this also was the problem in my mo too...the funny thing is that I went to the Nissan dealer and ordered the part and they only had four in the county...I told the parts guy that I have been reading about the problem and we in the world does Nissan only have four of these relays...well again...Nissan doesn't look into any of these big problems...it seems to me all they want is money and not to have past costumers return in the future!

·
Registered
10 Posts
It takes two minutes to change out and the part is cheap... It's always worth a try and good luck on getting the part...when I ordered mine Nissan parts company only had two left and three days to get there.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
On an 06 this isn't an obsolete part, there just happens to be low stock. I'd think they'll be re-stocked before long.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just stating what the parts guy told me when I ordered it..."it's going to take a couple of days to get here...in the four distribution centers country wide there were only two...one in California and one on the east coast." well I hope that they do and I hope that it fixes your mo...and I hope Nissan figures out that this is becoming a moderately big problem and does something about it because it's Too damn cold out here not to have it working...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts