Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A/C Problem

I recently bought a 2005 MO 28K miles on it, and I have to tell you that I love everything :4: except for the A/C issue. :confused:

I’ve noticed that the temperature from the air that comes from the venting holes is not so cold as it use to be in my old (114K) chevy cavalier, but I wasn’t sure of that, so I got a digital thermometer and these was the readings:

2005 MO 28K (3.5Lt) = 57°F @ 60°F on both dials (& recirculating mode)

2002 chevy 114K (2.2Lt) = 37,5°F @ only one cooling dial ( & recirculating mode)

Has anyone checked the temperature at the venting holes??,

Has any else been having this type of annoyance??,

Summer already started and I need to do something about… fortunately I haven't get rid of my old good junky chevy .:2:

Some ideas???

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Service manual doesn't have a delta T spec that I can find. I've checked this on all my vehicles, used to leave a dial thermometer in the intake of my Jeep :D.

At 92F ambient with the temperature control set all the way down to 60F and Auto off, the dash vent output is 50F (readings in the shade with a Cooper 1236-32 dial thermometer). This is approximately a 40F delta T.

I find leaving the temperature control on Auto and 72F blows cold enough and brings the inside temperature down quick enough for me, as good as any vehicle I've owned. Also see this thread: http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7013.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
What do you guys want to use your MO for? A meat locker?

Did your Cavalier have a MO-style digital thermostat or was it simply a dial or slide switch with HOT and COLD markings? The MO's automatic climate control does not need to have 37 degree air coming out of the vents to effectively cool the cabin. In fact if you have 37 degrees coming from the vent it is very possible the temp may be 32 at the evaporator coil, which will cause the coil to freeze up in humid weather. That's not good.

For optimal comfort you want high-volume, low velocity air with the smallest possible temperature differential.

-njjoe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
njjoe said:
What do you guys want to use your MO for? A meat locker?

Did your Cavalier have a MO-style digital thermostat or was it simply a dial or slide switch with HOT and COLD markings? The MO's automatic climate control does not need to have 37 degree air coming out of the vents to effectively cool the cabin. In fact if you have 37 degrees coming from the vent it is very possible the temp may be 32 at the evaporator coil, which will cause the coil to freeze up in humid weather. That's not good.

For optimal comfort you want high-volume, low velocity air with the smallest possible temperature differential.

-njjoe
njjoe thanks for the advice :29: but:

The cavalier doesn't have as fancy temperature controls as my MO does.
Here in Houston, ( 98F-100F external readings right now)

57F is not enough to chill myself even with ALL the dashes pointing at me (I can feel the humidity inside).

BTW the distance between the dash and the driver in the MO is larger than in the chevy, so is difficult (for my body) to feel the same temperature even if the MO were giving me 37F. (At the front dashes)

I went to NISSAN dealer and they set me an appointment for Monday, (warranty pay$ all, of cour$e :jump3: ) they will check for me what’s wrong.

I’m gonna keep you updated

tkx
mileswalower

PD. I haven't tell you,...... (in the cavalier) sometimes,..... but very few times, I have seen WHITE SMOKE coming from the dash vents, (as dry ice do) probably is insane,......... but I love it.......:18::18::18::18:

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
MILESWALOWER said:
PD. I haven't tell you,...... (in the cavalier) sometimes,..... but very few times, I have seen WHITE SMOKE coming from the dash vents, (as dry ice do) probably is insane,......... but I love it.......:18::18::18::18:
MILESWALOWER-

Many moons ago I had a Ford that had an A/C system that must have been designed for Death Valley. It blew frigid air similar to your Cavalier. Every now and then when the humidity was just right it too would blow "white smoke". It freaked me out the first time I saw it until I realized it was simply water vapor in the cabin that was condensing in the air stream. Nice effect!

Stay cool. :cool:

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Fog coming from your vents usually means low freon. I had that happen on 2 different cars, would freeze the coil if you let it do it for a while. You could tell the coil was frozen by little to no air coming out of the vents.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
mgthe3 said:
Fog coming from your vents usually means low freon. I had that happen on 2 different cars, would freeze the coil if you let it do it for a while. You could tell the coil was frozen by little to no air coming out of the vents.
Yup. :4: When the evaporator freezes over with ice because it is too cold, no more cold air comes out the vent until the ice thaws and it starts all over.

Lower humidity areas will still do this just not as often/severe. With the automatic systems and sensors and those that cycle the compressor on a time base, the computer prevents this from happening over a broader performance band ie freon levels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I have to tell you I didn’t went to NISSAN dealer, I like to try myself to fix my own problems (just if I think I can fix them), (due to lot of complains in this forum from mechanics in Nissan dealers, like dents in aluminum dash board, forgotten disconnected harnesses, etc. I don't want to take chances) :1pat:

So I decided to buy a hose included manometer ([email protected]) and R134 bottles ($4.98 e/o), and instructions and try to make it myself and this was the new readings.

2005 MO 28K (3.5Lt) = 41.0 °F@ 60°F on both dials (& recirculating mode) (in highway) (now it feels much better......!!!:4: )

2002 chevy 114K (2.2Lt) = 34.9 °F @ only one cooling dial ( & recirculating mode) (in highway) (now it feels like a meatlocker:2: )

After recharging the R134 in both cars this is the lowest I could get.

Now I guess the MO was low in R134, it improved the temperature from 57°F to 41°F, now I feel cool!!!!!

Do you guys, think I can get lower numbers than these????:confused:

MILESWALOWER

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the junky cavalier:::

And the junky cavalier...

Attachments

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
MILESWALOWER-

Great job. Unfortunately you did not address the root-cause of your problem. You still have a freon leak.

-njjoe

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just posted a Thread on my A/C condenser which was "damaged" per the dealer, by stone coming through the grill opening and caused the coolant to leak out. Perhaps you do have a leak. As mentioned the condenser is exposed per the grill openings. If they are that fragile I don't know why Nissan hasn't put some protection front. None the less a small leak could be difficult to find.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
It is 98 degrees (F) out so I decided to do a simple test of the MO's A/C system.

With the car idling in the driveway, HVAC controls set on AUTO and the TEMP set at 69, the temperature of the air coming out of the center vent is 62 degrees in RECIRCULATE mode. When I "force" the system to FRESH AIR the temperature of the air coming from the center vents rises to 70 degrees. (All temps measured with a FLUKE Model 52 Digital Thermometer)

On RECIRCULATE mode the HVAC system is dropping (cooling) the air temperature by 36 degrees. On FRESH AIR mode the temperature is dropping 28 degrees. That is pretty damn good for a dark-colored, stationary car in the midday sun.

I have no complaints about this particular car's cooling capacity.

-njjoe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts