Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I have a 2009 Nissan Murano LE. Last Aug. I had to replace radiator, after that the A/C quit working. It was working perfectly fine before that. The mechanic said they had to get a part to fix it so they worked on it, said the a/c was working but when I got in car no cold air. So then they looked at it and said they had to order a part to fix it AGAIN! I didn't go back cause I haven't had the money to get it fixed yet and mechanic didn't say what part was needed and I can't find the receipts as to what was getting replaced and all that stuff.

Well, I tried to recharge the system and when I connected the gauge to see the starting level it shows 0 but when I pushed the handle to release refrigerant into system it done its thing and I got it to the right level so I disconnected it. Still didn't blow cool air like it should and I don't ever hear it kick on under the hood like you should when A/C is on. It is blowing cool air but nowhere like it should be, it blows a little cooler air on passenger side than drivers side and is worthless on hot days. I don't know what could be the problem and I'm just worried about having a huge bill I can't afford cause I need my car.

Another note: While I was looking under the hood, I looked at a wheel that looks like it could be the compressor and it looks like there's no belt on it. It is spinning though, looks like there's a belt below it but that don't make sense. That thing has to be spinning for a reason, I'm no expert but IMO something with a wheel like that on a car, it needs a belt.

Water Automotive tire Fluid Tire Pipeline transport

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Ok so I have a 2009 Nissan Murano LE. Last Aug. I had to replace radiator, after that the A/C quit working. It was working perfectly fine before that. The mechanic said they had to get a part to fix it so they worked on it, said the a/c was working but when I got in car no cold air. So then they looked at it and said they had to order a part to fix it AGAIN! I didn't go back cause I haven't had the money to get it fixed yet and mechanic didn't say what part was needed and I can't find the receipts as to what was getting replaced and all that stuff.

Well, I tried to recharge the system and when I connected the gauge to see the starting level it shows 0 but when I pushed the handle to release refrigerant into system it done its thing and I got it to the right level so I disconnected it. Still didn't blow cool air like it should and I don't ever hear it kick on under the hood like you should when A/C is on. It is blowing cool air but nowhere like it should be, it blows a little cooler air on passenger side than drivers side and is worthless on hot days. I don't know what could be the problem and I'm just worried about having a huge bill I can't afford cause I need my car.

Another note: While I was looking under the hood, I looked at a wheel that looks like it could be the compressor and it looks like there's no belt on it. It is spinning though, looks like there's a belt below it but that don't make sense. That thing has to be spinning for a reason, I'm no expert but IMO something with a wheel like that on a car, it needs a belt.

View attachment 55278

Any suggestions?
That wheel is most likely the idler pulley, it keeps tension on the belt. If the belt was missing, a number of items would not be working...

The air conditioner requires a specific amount of refrigerant to perform optimally. Here is the procedure:

Reactions: Grav

·
Registered
36 Posts
Your photo appears to be showing the Idler Pulley labeled in the diagram below.

Take a look at your vehicle belts to see if it matches the below diagram to ensure the belt is routed properly.

Ensure the center hub of the compressor pulley is spinning when the A/C switch is activated. It has an electronic clutch built into it which sometimes fails.

Font Circle Auto part Parallel Diagram

Purchase a R134a/R-12/R-22 Freon Can Tap Recharging Hose (See link).

Purchase (2) 12ozcans of R134a Refrigerant from Autozone or similar store.

Obtain a vaccum pump with the correct fittings.

Next - Borrow a Manifold Guage Set from an Autozone or similar store (It's free to borrow with a deposit).

Before connecting ensure the valves are in the closed positions.

Ensure the low side (commonly colored Blue) is connected to the low pressure port, the high side (commonly colored red) is connected to the high pressure port.

Open the low pressure valve connected at the low pressure line on the vehicle. Do the same for the high pressure valve at the high pressure line on vehicle.

Review the readings on the Manifold Guages and compare to the below Chart.

Rectangle Font Parallel Electric blue Screenshot

If you have a readings of Zero with the vehicle running and a/c running your will need to connect the vacuum pump to the center connector of the manifold guage set as in the video. Then you open the low and high side valves on the Guage-Set to vaccuum the system as in the video. When finished close the valves on the Guage-Set and examine the guages to see if you're loosing vacuum. If there is a vacuum loss, there is a leak you will have to locate and repair.

If you need to add refrigerant connect the can-tap to the center hose of the Guage-Set then connect a 12oz can of refrigerant to the other end of the can-tap (ensure the valve is in the closed position).

Open the Low Side (Blue) valve mounted on the Guage-Set itself then open and close the Can-Tap valve to add refrigerant as needed. Close all valves when done before disconnecting anything.

Below are videos that can help too.

·
Administrator
9,657 Posts
Not to criticize the post above, but only a trained AC tech is going to mess with the AC system on my cars. Between the right refrigerant, the right lubricant and the right charge level, I know when I'm not the right guy to mess with it.

I'll cheerfully R&R AC equipment, but when it comes to charging and maintaining the system, someone with training does it.

YMMV.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not to criticize the post above, but only a trained AC tech is going to mess with the AC system on my cars. Between the right refrigerant, the right lubricant and the right charge level, I know when I'm not the right guy to mess with it.

I'll cheerfully R&R AC equipment, but when it comes to charging and maintaining the system, someone with training does it.

YMMV.
There isn't much more training beyond the information and videos in my post, needed for A/C systems other than learning the procedures for replacing parts leaking or non-functional parts or using the Shop/ Dealer equipment to evacuate and recharge the A/C systems to specs.

Don't be afraid to just fix it yourself if you can't afford the shop prices.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There isn't much more training beyond the information and videos in my post, needed for A/C systems other than learning the procedures for replacing parts leaking or non-functional parts or using the Shop/ Dealer equipment to evacuate and recharge the A/C systems to specs.

Don't be afraid to just fix it yourself if you can't afford the shop prices.
Agreed! I watched the videos and read the posts here and for somebody like me who isn't even near being a mechanic I thought to myself, omg this is explained so wonderfully that I could easily do it myself! :) I like DIY if I can do it and at this point there ain't no way I can afford a bill from the mechanic. NO WAY!!!! I'm sick of not having a/c in the car in the middle of hot weather, although I do love the wind blowing my hair around lol!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts