Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

On the hottest day of the year so far, my A/C decided to stop working. Not sure what it is but when I got it home after a long and slow commute here are the symptoms:
- A/C only blowing hot air, no matter what temperature

I pulled back the wheel well cover on the passenger side and had the car started and fiddled with the A/C switch on and off and observed:

- Compressor doesn't spin
- Compressor clutch doesn't engage
- tapping compressor clutch with stick, and rubber mallet doesn't do anything
- I can spin the compressor clutch by hand and it still drags with a normal looking clutch gap

I thought it over heated and the gap was too big, but I let the car sit and cool for 5 hours and no A/C re-engage. My questions are:

- Does it need more freon/gas charge?
- Why won't the clutch engage? If there wasn't any freon in it, the clutch would still engage would it not?
- If it does need a recharge, then I have to find the source of the leak
- is it anything else like Compressor Clutch plate, or the Clutch Coil?

Please do help as I have to get this fixed soon as it's really, really hot outside.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update: had it tested and charged and there's freon in it, minor leak possibly but not the cause.

reading through this and after test they recommended replacing compressor. they said that'd be very invasive.

I'm going to try to replace the A/c clutch coil first (and serpentine belt) and if that fails then I grab a used compressor.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ac compressor coil ordered and arriving. might as well change serpentine belt.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
finally fixed this myself. didn't need a new compressor it was just a new ac compressor coil as the old one had worn away and melted to ****.

I will do a formal write up but here are some pictures below.

·
Registered
365 Posts
That's good it wasn't the compressor seizing up. I have to get mine fixed too now. I have MO 2009 with 110k miles on it and my compressor isn't turning. I saw a good video on YT that suggests in the event your compressor seizes its better to replaces the compressor and the condenser rad on your car because when the compressor fails it sends bits of metal into your condenser which will only cycle back into your new compressor possibly damaging it and or shorting its life span.

·
Super Moderator
8,266 Posts
If the compressor grenades, you need to have an AC shop vacuum out the system to get any small pieces of metal out, and you also change the orifice screen, which is a little conical screen somewhere in the tubing that exists to catch those particles. You also replace the drier, which is usually the least expensive part. Do it right and you'll have a good system.

In the past, I've usually taken the car to an AC shop, had them vacuum out the system, then driven it home and done the parts swap. Then back to the AC shop to have them charge it up and add the right amount of synthetic oil to the system. There is a specific oil in there along with the R134.

·
Registered
104 Posts
3 days ago my AC died as well. Only hot air pushing through now. Refrigerant tested and all ok.

I did notice my clutch was very noisy over the last 2 years when clicking on an off and somewhat rattly.

How nosiy was yours before it died ?

·
Super Moderator
8,266 Posts
They're not always noisy, but you should be able to see the clutch engage and disengage if you watch for a while. If you turn the temp setting low and it doesn't engage, then either it's not getting a signal or the clutch is bad. Check fuses (at least) before deciding it's the clutch.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks. I quickly checked the under hood fuse (before getting the refrigerant checked) but was OK. The bearing on the pulley sounds as though it was shot before it stopped which probably doesnt help the clutch operation.
The FSM has pages of diagnostics for the AC but I cant see anything that highlights clutch failure.

Anyone know if the dealer diagnostics would show the failure?

·
Registered
365 Posts
For me it wasn't a compressor issue. It still worked. The issue is I have a small leak somewhere, actually a tiny leak. They refilled my AC and put a green die in it, this was in mid May, since then I have had to run the A/C ever day and its not let me down.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 2012 did the same thing I got a compressor but I don’t doubt it’s just the coil??
Do yourself a favour. If you can get just a coil (amazon had it super cheap), do it and try to take off the pulley to see.

Signs that it might be the coil.

1. You can turn clutch manually without any grinding noises
2. Clutch doesn't turn when A/C on
3. Pushing or pressing against clutch while A/C on doesn't cause it to turn.

Trying to replace the coil saves you money and time on:

- draining refrigerant
- removing compressor
- refilling
- vacuuming system
- all of that labour time.

This is done within an hour start to finish. While you're doing this, might as well replace the belt.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just had the clutch replaced (92660JP00B) and a new belt while we are at it

Had a very noisy clutch that wasnt engaging but 12v at the clutch

Was that noisy I wasnt driving the Murano in case it shattered and the compressor got hit

This was after 2 months of driving with no AC but the pully still spinning

AC is back and just in time for winter demisting duty

Next up is the tilt and tele motors in the steering column

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just had the clutch replaced (92660JP00B) and a new belt while we are at it

Had a very noisy clutch that wasnt engaging but 12v at the clutch

Was that noisy I wasnt driving the Murano in case it shattered and the compressor got hit

This was after 2 months of driving with no AC but the pully still spinning

AC is back and just in time for winter demisting duty

Next up is the tilt and tele motors in the steering column
For that steering wheel don't buy new or motors, Dorman sells a repair kit for it which is two new gears. I've used them and works perfectly

1 - 15 of 15 Posts