Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share my observations from a trip from SF to South Lake Tahoe over the weekend. Had a great time with my wife visiting a friend who lives in Tahoe. Went boating, fishing, etc. On the way back I decided to do a little experiment. Once I hit the freeway I usually drive 80 MPH and average around 18-20 MPG, but on the way back from Tahoe I diceded to try to keep MO at 65 MPH and see what happens.

Well -- other than a climb over the summit, I utilized my cruise control for at least 90% of driving. What do you know --> it performed like a champ.

Average MPG ranged from 24.4 to 24.9. I pumped gas in SF and after driving ~ 442 mi I still have a little less than 1/4 of a tank left with an estimated 40 miles to empty.

I never thought that 20/25 MPG estimated by Nissan is reachable, but I guess I am wrong.

What has your experience been with MO's fuel economy on long trips?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Thats about what I get as well. Keep the speed down, mileage is decent. Break 70mph or so, it starts to fall quickly. Despite its slippery shape, the Murano isn't as aerodynamic as it looks!

Thats for the highway. For the life of me I cannot see how anyone can get the 20mpg that Nissan claims you can get driving around in the city. I get closer to 14-15mpg driving on short trips (10 miles or less) and perhaps 16-17mpg if I drive around a lot in the city (combining a lot of short trips).

On premium of course.

I've driven SF to Tahoe a few times. Its a lot of uphill on the highway (I-80) going there, and a long downgrade coming back down to just north of Sacramento, so that skews fuel economy a bit as well.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Doc-

I did just what you did, except I was even more extreme - I kept it at 60 MPH. I was able to achieve 29.3 mpg!! I was truly amazed. That is 55% better than my last ride.

Of course, I doubt if I will be doing that again anytime soon. I hated getting passed by 99.9% of the cars on the road.

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
During my recent vacation in New Mexico driving at high altitudes >7,000 feet I was getting for several days 27 – 28 mpg! I know hard to believe it. One day I did 290 miles and the computer was showing 280 DTE! Unbelievable! And the fuel gauge needle was at half mark…

The mpg depends on many factors. On highway it is mainly speed and head wind. And head wind can make difference. From my experience up to 3 mph. So your mialage is not a surprise…

·
Registered
286 Posts
njjoe said:
Doc-

I did just what you did, except I was even more extreme - I kept it at 60 MPH. I was able to achieve 29.3 mpg!! I was truly amazed. That is 55% better than my last ride.

Of course, I doubt if I will be doing that again anytime soon. I hated getting passed by 99.9% of the cars on the road.

-njjoe

I also have a trip this weekend from jax to daytona and was amazed to see 29.2 mpg @60mph
then I try
at 65mph 26mpg
then 70mph24mpg,
then 75mph21.9mpg.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Saturday, we will leave for Jekyll Island Ga.
400 miles with a tank of Shell Premium.
We will drive 20 miles to I75 and set the cruise control on 75.
About 6 hours later we will pull off I95 and drive 20 miles to our rented townhouse.
I will be very disappointed if we don't get our normal 23 MPG.

But I totally agree with Eric.
Putting an egg under the accelerator, I cannot get more than 17-17.8 MPG around town. And my around town is nowhere near as difficult as the EPA circuit.
Maybe it's too hot here?

Homer

·
Registered
75 Posts
I live on the other coast of Florida and my 2005 is getting almost 21 overall. We are about to take a trip with many highway miles. I will do a careful measurement and see... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
49 Posts
My experience [35K miles in 21 months] agrees that the MO is much more sensitive to highway speed and headwinds than vehicles with less frontal area. My highway numbers are similar to the other members who've posted here. However, I've noticed that the odometer in my AWD MO reads about 3% low, so I add about 3% to whatever mileage the car's computer says I'm getting. I think there have been other threads about this. City mileage in northwest FL, where it's a bit hilly, varies from 17 to 19 depending on how much time is spent at red lights and how much on larger streets where 40-45 mph is possible. That speed seems to be the "sweet spot" for MO mileage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts