·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nissan's killer B:
Automaker takes aim at Scion with Sport Concept
DALE JEWETT | Automotive News
Posted Date: 3/17/05

DETROIT -- Nissan North America is bringing a car smaller than the Sentra to its U.S. lineup within the next two years. Its latest concept for such as car draws a bead on Toyota’s Scion lineup.

Nissan’s Sport Concept hatchback is marked by wide body flares over 20-inch wheels, a rear spoiler and a sloping, angled hood. The concept was shown Thursday night at Nissan’s new design studio in suburban Detroit -- even though the vehicle was created at the automaker’s design studio in Atsugi, Japan. The concept gets wide exposure next week during the New York auto show.

The concept, which has some resemblance to the Nissan Tiida sedan sold in Japan, is based on the automaker’s B-segment platform. Yet Nissan says it was designed to comfortably fit four passengers.

The concept measures 171.3 inches from bumper to bumper. That puts it within a couple of inches of the Scion tC coupe, and 6 inches shorter than the current Sentra. But the concept’s 102.4-inch wheelbase tops the Sentra’s wheelbase by nearly 3 inches.

Inside, each passenger gets their own seat with large side bolsters, raised center section in the seat bottom and integrated, four-point seatbelts. The stereo system includes a large speaker and subwoofer mounted in the rear parcel shelf.

The Sport Concept is the third that Nissan has shown over the past 18 months offering different looks at injecting some style to its small-car lineup. The earlier concepts were the wagon-like Actic and the sporty Azeal coupe.

Attachments

·
Registered
781 Posts
I like it better than the Scion XB. Looks pretty sharp.

I'm sure they'll tone it down a bit before production.

·
Registered
301 Posts
It's a mini mo alright!
That looks sweeeeet! :D

The vertical chrome piece between the door and wheel, almost made me think of the BMW Z5... almost.. this is done better.

·
4,601 Posts
EEEEeeeeeee!

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
whoa...freaking sweet. Nissan's styling department impresses me more and more everyday.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Nice. Did I read that correctly? 20" wheels? On that small of a car? Holy crap!

I like it. Of course I always like small cars, but this is very nice. Sounds like the rear seat is relatively large for a small car like this as well, but the probably means absolutely no cargo space in the rear.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I love it! A tiny Murano!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Oh man this car better be the next must-have hot hatch! Build it all dressed up in SE-R guise!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Sweeeeeeeeet!!

I like it!!! But I guess we all would like it because it looks so much like an updated mini Murano.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You fulfill my daughter...Mini Mo

First question my 14 year old daughter asked about my new Sunlit Copper Mo, "Gee dad, do you think I'll get this car when I'm16"...I felt bad, because 5 minutes later, when I had stopped laughing, and wiped the tears from my eyes...she looked pretty "sheepish"...however, if this does compete with the Scion C, and, comes in sunlit copper...and if she gets straight As and worships the ground I walk on for the next 2 years...

Regards,

Big

·
Registered
132 Posts
Too funny about your daughter Big Daddy. It actually looks like something my 15 yr old nephew would love!!! He's always talking about how cool my Mo is... :)

Lil' Bit

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
The wife says if that comes out any time soon, she will have one.
She is on the tiny car side. She drove our suburban for 3 years and cussed about parking it. She has a sentra now and loves the car. That will go to our soon to be driving, almost 15, son. I have tried to get her interested in a black 2 door something, she would look so hot in a black sports car with her golden red hair. She was eyeing the Z3...but thinks this would be just too cool to have a mini Mo.
:D

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
At the NYIAS Nissan confirmed that the sport concept will be the basis for a production coupe. So, looks like it will be a go. I hope the actual production model doesn't differ too much from the concept (which looks awesome).

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Hmmmnn.
I've really got the hots for a Solstice as a second car. (IN competition with a 64-66 Mustang)

But his would be Veeerrryyyy interesting.

They've got to get it out, nicely equipped, for 23 tho.

Homer

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
mgthe3..

I have tried to get her interested in a black 2 door something, she would look so hot in a black sports car with her golden red hair. She was eyeing the Z3...but thinks this would be just too cool to have a mini Mo.
How about the new mx-5 miata? Or the saturn sky?

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I'm thinkin I would rather her drive a Nissan. It will either be this or an Altima.
Believe me, it IS her choice, but she trusts me in car choices.
We spent so much time under vehicles working on them when we first got married (refused to take any problem to a mechanic) that our neighbors called us the 4 legs---cause that's all they saw.
We just say NO to repairs now, we really don't have the time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts