Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all of you brothers and sisters currently residing in our beautiful Bay Area.

Is it simply my bad luck or are you guys in the same boat. I am experiencing pinging under light loads. I am using Premium only from different gas stations. Costco super - occasional pinging, Chevron super - even less, but still there, Shell super - pretty much the same as Costco. What are your experiencs. My MO was built 06/04, and I bought it 08/04. I have been hearing pinging to the different extent pretty much since brand new. I now have 4600 mi on it, hasn't changed oil yet (waiting for 5000).

Any similar experiences, any suggestions? Knock sensor? Simply bad gas? I don't want to live with this. I spoke with a service advisor at Daland Nissan -- and the responce was it is the gas, live with it. My responce was -- you have got to be kidding, I paid over $33K for the car and I have to "... live with it ...". His only suggestions was Chevron Super.

Please advise :)

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Okay, tell me which dealership you go to so I won't!
No way you should live with the car that pings. I would try a different dealership. Your car should not ping if you are using super (any brand).
I also only use premium and I fillup mostly at a safeway superstore. But I also fill up at Shell and Costco (never tried Chevron). My tank is almost empty when I fillup so if there is a problem with the gas it will show up really fast. Have not had a problem at all.

By the way, the first recommended oil change is @ 3,750 miles

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Suggest a can of octane improver from Checker etc. ONLY to see if the pinging goes away. If so then maybe bad knock detector. GRIP :D

·
Registered
485 Posts
I do happen to mostly use Chevron 91 here in the bay area, and don't hear pinging except for once every month or two when accelerating gently right at the torque converter lock-up (18'ish MPH). With 87 it happens much more frequently, every couple of day at least. As for other brands of fuel, I also use Rotten Robbie, and the occational Shell & 76 and again, no real worries with 91.

Maybe you need to actually go in and give their tech a test drive and show them the sound and how loud and reproduceable it is. If it ISN'T loud and reproduceable, then you're going to be in a bit of a bind...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies, guys.

·
My MO's faster than yours
419 Posts
I've been using the cheapest lowest grade gas i can find.....i haven't had any problems.....ARe you sure the sound your hearing is the engine pinging?

·
4,994 Posts
bOxdesigns, Please tell me one more time specifically what you are usings for parking lights. Thanks GRIP :D

·
4,994 Posts
Thanks GRIP :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts