Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got the mo back Sat 6/5/4 @ 12:20 p.m. Had an opportunity to see underneath the car while service clerk was doing a last min. ck. for leaking @ and around tranny and transfercase. Checked good and the same goes for mechanics test drive... Well haven’t had a chance to drive car all of that day but today Sun.6/6/4 I did. I drove to Fast-Food Place and when leaving the drive-through window and making a sharp left turn to exit...Kurplunk goes the rear differential spiting out Spider gear, oil and aluminum shrapnel. Notice I didn’t say which fast food place because there is a mess of gear lube in there parking lot. Don't want to be held responsible for the mess. After picking up the pieces and finishing my cussing with hazard lights on and making sure awd lock button was off, I crawled the car out of there and to home. That Is It; I'M Done With This Car! I have a theory as to how this could have happened. Way back when all this started with the front transfercase failing (Busted Ring Gear). The car was in motion and with that gear clogging and jamming. It absorbed more stress and passed stress though drive shaft connected to rear differential. This in effect could have caused a light fracture within rear differential components that just now surface as failure today during a tight turn that work out the spider gears. If this theory is correct, then it a viscous cycle…Now the Brand New front transfer case was subjected to the same stress and torture.

Attachments

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
WIll nissan pay for the fix?

I am feeling your pain.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure, it’s under warranty. But you’re missing my point. Enough is Enough. I've had it with this car. I want out before it becomes a death trap. Envision this happening on the freeway going 60mph with your family members aboard. Note: Inner-axle is pulled partially out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Egads, this is absolutely terrible. I understand where you come from, good luck with whichever car you go with.

·
Registered
238 Posts
And make sure to get an iron clad guarantee that such thing or similar mishap WILL NOT happen !

Absolutely don't buy your next car unless they can put it in writing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
6/10/4 Still no car or conclusion.
1st. preferred option, buy back. NNA has been informed on my matter by me and service manager who has mailed all of the work orders for my car to them, he also spoke with a Nissan engineer about the latest incident. (My theory of viscous cycle failure). Who tended to agree.

2nd. option, it also seems to me that at this point it’s all about saving face for Nissan and avoiding the lemon law. Service manager suggested a replacement Murano. He feels that I have the one bad one out of the bunch. If I'm forced into that option because it's NNA call, then I will take CVeeT's advice (And make sure to get an iron clad guarantee that such thing or similar mishap WILL NOT happen!
Absolutely don't buy your next car unless they can put it in writing.)
That to me is like a free extended power-train warranty.
I must admit though that I have lost faith in the cars design. Even the owner where I bought the car confided that he had one and after putting 35k on it he sold it and shortly afterwards the CVT went south.
If I need legal representation, there is a lawyer I know that inquired how I liked the Murano before all this happened. I did give him two thumbs up. So he bought one for his wife at the same dealership I did. What better representation.
I could sure use some helpful feedback.

·
4,601 Posts
I've never seen this before, so it could mean that you did get a bad one and one thing led to another. I had that with a GMC Jimmy. Replaced a bad transmission, engine crank broke, replaced engine, not too long after, replaced bad transmission again.

Or maybe yours is the first... And there will be a rash of them with the same failures.

I'm tending to the former, and while I'm not in your position, I love the Murano so much, I'd take a replacement, new one, if they offered it, with the same or greater option package at no charge to me.

Hey, I'm no lawyer though, so getting legal advice makes the most sense.

Every product made has bad ones. There's so many parts to go into it, the potential for failure is high. While it looks like major problems with your Murano, they all seem confined to the drivetrain. If that can be replaced, I suspect you'd be OK. As long as the tech who does it, is good and careful.

However a new one made on the manufacturing line, would be better assembled, than by Joe Auto Tech.

Just my 2 cents.:confused:

·
Registered
238 Posts
CVeeT said:
And make sure to get an iron clad guarantee that such thing or similar mishap WILL NOT happen !

Zamp:

My point was that no such car exists.

It is afterall a machine (more like combination of several hundred machines working in tendem), no body can give you such a warranty (yes, even with Japanese cars)

Space shuttle, designed and built by the best of the engineers, exploded in space. You think NASA can give an absolute guarrantee that next flight such a thing wont happen.

I don't think so.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Recently I have been thinking about trading in the Murano for another crossover. There were several I looked at (but have not driven yet), just to get a sense of how much I'll need to spend, options ect...everytime I check out a new car I get a little excited. For example I loaded up the Mercedes ML on the internet, picked out the options I want, look at the pictures, read consumer and technical reviews on it, and I think ya I'll get this one. That feeling lasts about 1/2 an hour, then I think, why would I spend another $20,000 to get what I basically already have, and I have done this for bunches of new cars out there. The Infinity FX, the BMW both X3, and X5, the VW Toureg, with all the cars I looked at the Murano is so comparable that it wouldn't be worth spending all that extra cash to get another one. In my opinion the Bimmer X3 is really the only thing I would still consider, but that too is a new car and I am sure there will be bugs that have to be worked out in that also.
Ya there are things about the Murano I would change, especially with the interior quality. But like cvee stated, it is a machine and regardless of how well it is, or isn't designed there will always some failures.
I think the key to this whole issue is how Nissan handles it, and how well they take care of you. I know if this happened to a BMW or Mercedes they would for sure go out of their way to take care of you...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by CVeeT

Oddly enough, the service manager did agree to the iron clad guarantee in writing... ;)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I am not sure how a dealership can guarantee that a part they did not manufacture or assemble will not break again, even on a brand new car. I think the best you can hope for in this case would be a buyback. If they wanted to keep you as a Nissan customer, they should not only offer a buyback, but also a discount on a new Murano as well (for a reasonable cost, since technically you are trading a used one for a new one).

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Eric L. said:
I am not sure how a dealership can guarantee that a part they did not manufacture or assemble will not break again, even on a brand new car. I think the best you can hope for in this case would be a buyback. If they wanted to keep you as a Nissan customer, they should not only offer a buyback, but also a discount on a new Murano as well (for a reasonable cost, since technically you are trading a used one for a new one).
A guarantee does not mean that it won't fail, but rather it is an agreement that if it does, the dealer will follow through with whatever the agreed upon actions are to rectify the situation.

For example, a "Guaranteed Lowest Rate" does not mean that you can't find a lower rate somewhere else, but that if you DO find a lower rate, the person or company offering the guarantee will match their price (or beat it, or do nothing, depending on how that guarantee is written).

I ordered some replacement garage doors that were "guaranteed to be installed within 10 days." It ended up taking 6 weeks. What was their guarantee? They essentially didn't have one, other than appologizing profusely. Would they cancel the order and refund my money? No. Would they switch the order to a different manufacturer that could do it sooner? No. The brochure said that they were guaranteed, but there was no written guarantee. This is apparantly legal (at least in the US). I call it bait-and-switch, but they call it a loophole.

So, sure, the dealer can offer a guarantee that this part will not break. The main thing to look for is to determine what happens in the case that it DOES fail, and make sure that it is in writing and acceptable from your point of view.

~ Corin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts