Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought about something today...

Considering that Nissan has put a standard automatic in the Murano (they were selling them in Guam), I wonder if they'll ever come out with a widely-available, standard 6-speed version. With a regular stickshift tranny, they could throw a turbocharger/supercharger on there and a ton of other upgrades and not worry about blowing the CVT...

·
5,268 Posts
hm........why not upgrade the CVT? You would get both worlds!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, yes, of course.. but if the CVT is stuck at a certain level of technology for the time being...

That, and if it WERE a 'sport' version of the Murano, turbo'd and such, a true manual would provide better control overall.

Stuff would have to be cut for weight, too. Even the base MO is a little heavy...

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'd like a real manual 6-speed in a Murano, and also bump up to max HP of the 3.5!

·
4,664 Posts
Go buy a Murano in Central America and they have a real manual transmission.... No CVT there!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it a true manual in Central America or just a standard automatic?

Whatever it is, I think they went the route of non-CVT because the vehicles will be easier to service down there without it. Not sure how many Nissan service centers exist in Central America.. :)

·
5,268 Posts
Interesting..........

I will be down there next week........Last time I saw Murano on a display though did not think about transmission. I just assumed it was CVT.......I will have to check it this time.........

You comments on servicing might be true. Most of the cars i saw were manual transmission Daewoos. Apparently cost is a major factor..........and of course service availability......

·
4,664 Posts
UMRUGHMMMPFFFTTTHHUP! POP! Ahhh... That's better, I had to remove my foot from my mouth...

I forgot, it's not a manual, it's a conventional automatic!

(The crowd groans....)

Silly me...

PanamaJak on FA (No relation) has one and posted some pics. Here's one of them....

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Doombringer said:
Thought about something today...

Considering that Nissan has put a standard automatic in the Murano (they were selling them in Guam), I wonder if they'll ever come out with a widely-available, standard 6-speed version. With a regular stickshift tranny, they could throw a turbocharger/supercharger on there and a ton of other upgrades and not worry about blowing the CVT...
No manuals here in Guam (US territiory in the Pacific not in Central America) and only the US models are offered. Only "manual" transmission I read about was from Panamajak on FA as Jaak pointed out... looks more like a standard automatic. Manual + Automatic= Manumatic? :D

·
4,664 Posts
Hey My 1 Mo, have you seen CPO Jon in his Gold Mo? Say hi to him for me, if you do...

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I doubt Nissan would ever build a manual Murano. There simply wouldn't be enough customers to justify building one. I think the BMW X5 can be had with a manual, but I bet 99.5% of all X5s are automatics.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Or 'automagics'... Tiptronic ;)

Well, it was a hope... just a fool's hope. /Gandalf

A tastefully modded Murano would've been nice to see.. smokin' some of those silly Civics.. but in the end, I'd rather have my smooth, luxurious MO with the nice CVT ;)

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The joke on the Maxima BBS was that the 4th gen's transmission was called the "autotragic" because its easily confused. A popular modification for 4th gens was a recalibrated valve body to speed up the shifts for better performance.

·
4,664 Posts
Wow, never heard of that.... My 4th gen shifted flawlessly through the 3 years of abuse I gave it...

·
Registered
719 Posts
I agree that the auto tranny in the 2000 Maxima SE is the weak link in that power train.

Still, I haven't had any trouble with it. It's just an automatic transmission with it's primary focus being smooth shifting. (I'm up to 137,xxx miles with no issues to speak of.)

If you want to race with your Maxima, the manual tranny is clearly the way to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts