Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 murano. When i'm driving the abs light/ brake light will flash and I will loose power. It never shuts off but will not go. I have to completely stop and sit a minute or two then go again. It may do this 6/7 time in a 30 minute drive , 1 time, or none. What can this be?

·
Super Moderator
7,779 Posts
Muranos go nuts with low voltage or a weak battery. Get it fixed.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Get a volt or multi-meter. A good working alternator should be putting out 13.9 to 14.4 volts when the engine is running. Anything below that should be worth investigating.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2004 murano. When i'm driving the abs light/ brake light will flash and I will loose power. It never shuts off but will not go. I have to completely stop and sit a minute or two then go again. It may do this 6/7 time in a 30 minute drive , 1 time, or none. What can this be?
UNLIKELY SOLUTION: I have had this same problem and believe that I have a possible solution when this happens. My 07 Murano had ABS and BRAKE light illuminated, and went into the "safe, slow, creep mode" where it did not respond to the accelerator except to go 2 mph. It drove fine the next day, but I had it towed to an independent TechNet mechanic shop, Kennedy Auto Solutions, in Tomball, Texas. The eventual diagnosis even surprised my very experienced mechanic. Physical inspection showed that all of the ABS sensors were tight, no damage, etc. Next, he was test driving my Murano to see if he could recreate the problem. On the 4th test drive, with his computer connected to the Murano as he was driving, the ABS and BRAKE lights illuminated. He quickly looked at his computer before it stalled, and saw that the alternator was putting out 16.5 volts. Normal voltage output is close to 14.5 volts. At 16.5 volts, the abnormally high voltage sets off sensors, and usually puts the vehicle into safe, creep mode. You can google "alternator output is 16.5 volts" and the online information will tell you more about this. If you try to drive with 16.5 volts output, you can damage the battery, the onboard sensors and even the computer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts