Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to over ride this. The AC comes on automatically way to often. I want better control over when the AC is activated. In my wife's Lexus RX300 does the same thing but I can beat it to the punch and press the AC switch before the compressor turns on... in the MO once the AC light comes on the compressor is on almost immediately there after.

Any suggestions? :8:

·
101 Posts
What exactly are you trying to override? To turn off the A/C, you simply press the A/C button, even in the 'AUTO' mode. If you want to override the AUTO mode, turn the fan selector in any direction and AUTO will shut off giving you manual control.

Even with AUTO on and the A/C selected, the compressor cycles according to the interior temp. I've witnessed this with the hood open and the car running. The compressor turned on and off as the temperature control system regulated the interior temp.

Adjusting the temperature setting in AUTO mode will give you some control over the A/C cycling, but at the possible expense of interior comfort.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the situation.... I go to work in the morning and its dry and 60°F outside... I press auto... the compressor kicks on and runs based on my enterior temp setting of 68°F. This kills me because

1. I don't need the AC
2. Why is it even running with a 8° spread from what I want inside and the temp outside
3. The air is dry... I don't need the AC

So as you can see I'm tring to save some energy and not run the AC simply because it is not needed. I understand that I can turn off the AC manually but how good it is for the compressor (or any other mechanical device) to turn on for barely a second and then turn off. This can't be good and it is not necesary.

I was thinking about putting in an actual switch so I could manual control the power to the compressor. This way even though the system is calling for the compressor to be on, I can cut the power and not have to worry about it unless the AC really needs to be on.

I know, I'm being silly about this, but I don't need to run the AC (have compressor run) when I don't need nor am I using manufactured cool air when the outside air is cool enough. :4:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Turn the AC off before you turn off the car and exit. When next you start up the Murano the AC will be off. Turn it on Auto only when you need the extra help in regulating the temperature.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes that is what I try to do now... however when manually selecting through the vent options, when passing through Defrost... WWWOOOOPS there goes the AC or when I select the recirculate button... WWWOOOPPPSS there goes the AC.

These guys are AC happy!:3:

·
101 Posts
The A/C has a function other than just helping you keep your cool. :4: It is also very effective at drying the air. Fog or frost comes from moisture in the air condensing on cold windows. That is why the A/C turns on when you turn on defrost.

Also, when the recirculate button is pressed, the A/C turns on to dry the air or else moisture (from your breath and evaporation from your skin), trapped in your interior by the recirculation function, will condense as fog on the inside of the windows.

Ever notice people driving around with their entire interior fogged up? They have the recirculate function on continuously.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i never use the auto mode! if thats the problem for you, just turn the auto mode off and control your own temperature! simple!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think its funny that when its 40° outside.... the air dryer than the desert and people have fogged up windows. You are right, the circ is on... silly people.

Having the auto off still causes the AC to have a mind of its own. Looks like I'll have to deal with it or put in a kill switch.:confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gonzo .. I am at a loss ...

if you do not want the AC on why would you cycle through the vent options.

I can set it for upper and lower vents .... twist the fan dial and all I get is air from the outside. No AC.

As long as I leave it this way before I turn off the car it will default to this when I turn it on.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I don't understand it either.
Maybe I don't understand the problem.
The AC will NOT come on if the internal temp is lower than the set temp. So if it come on it's because the cabin temp is warmer than the setting that you set.
OTOH, if the whole crux of the "problem" is the fact that the humidity is low, meaning that the temp, while higher, is comfortable, and the AC is not needed.........well ALL AC works this way. They do not sense humidity.

Have you ever had Climate Control before?
Manual AC works a bit different than manual AC, but this climate control AC works the same way as every other I have ever owned.

Homer

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for trying to help... I cycle through the vent options because I may have it on feet and vent... then I may only want vent so I have to cycle through the options to get back to vent.... and passing through vent/defrost the AC turns on.... or I may have the AC off.... vent/feet on and the fan on... I get behind a car with bad exhaust and just want to turn the fresh air off (recycle) for a few minutes but the AC turns on. Does this clarify it?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I agree, the A/C is a pain. More often than not, it is unncessary load on the engine, turning itself on and off at will...

Auto climate control is often a good thing, but there are times when it isn't necessary. The system takes some tweaking and getting used to, but in the end it will behave for you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The AC turns on when front deforst is selected, period. Else your windshield will fog up.

This is true for every car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Silly because most of the time the windscreen can just be cleared with fresh air blowing on it. The only solution for me is to have a manual AC on/off switch that isn't MO controlled. The MO is good but not that good. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts