Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The compressor sounds like it is working; the RPM's fall a bit when I turn it on. It was a decline in cold air versus a complete "it ain't working anymore"....sounds like a leak in the coolant; which is ok as they'll like just have to top it up - but concerning that it leaked so early (2003 SL AWD).

Has anyone else experienced this? How much was it to repair?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
If its a 2003 it might still be under warranty. If not, I would ask for the goodwill warranty (since its just out of warranty) and see if Nissan will pick up the tab. Theoretically the AC system should never leak, so recharging the system with R134a will only have it leak out again after a while. I would get them to add a dye in the AC system, and after running the AC, they can use a UV light to find the source of the leak.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
crash-

Unlike the coolant in your radiator, you can't simply top off the refrigerant in the A/C system. If you do it will simply leak out again.

Have the dealer do a full HVAC systems check to ensure the system is in perfect working order. If it turns out the system does have a leak then I would have the dealer locate and fix it.

Have you ever replaced the cabin air filter? If not, then a dirty filter could be affecting the airflow.

-njjoe

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

Mo has +108,000 KM's on it...so doubtful I'll get any warranty goodwill.

Any thoughts on what this is going to cost?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Crash-

Have you ever replaced the cabin air filter? If not, at 108,000 kms it may be so dirty it is virtually blocking the airflow. When was the last time it was replaced?

-njjoe

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
It sounds like it is blowing air fine, it's just not blowing cold air.

No clue on the cost, depends on what the problem really is, there could be several reasons, one is just a leak, and there are lots of places for a leak. Since it's out of warranty, you can take it to other than dealer service shops, but either way, I'd take it to a shop unless you have the gages, dye, blacklight, vacuum pumps etc to DIY.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
njjoe said:
Crash-

Have you ever replaced the cabin air filter? If not, at 108,000 kms it may be so dirty it is virtually blocking the airflow. When was the last time it was replaced?

-njjoe
Not since I've owned it....I picked it up at 50K....It blows air fine...so I don't think it'd clogged that way. Is it something I can replace myself? Or do I need to get the garage to do it?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Crash-

If the air flow is OK then the air filter is not the culprit. However you should still change it. It is relatively easy to do and can be accessed by removing a few screws in the glove box.

Since you are out of warranty, I would not bring the car to the dealer. They are no better equipped to handle this problem and will only charge more than a local service station.

Take your MO to a local reputable garage instead. They will check the system pressure and will be able to determine if there is a refrigerant leak or component failure.

-njjoe

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya know, I'd love to take it to a local person to fix. Problem is there aren't any handy to where I am that are reputable....and I work in Etobicoke (Toronto).

The problem is that if you drive up in a Mo or even my previous car (Pathfinder) they are both high $40's to buy new - and everyone assumes you are saddled with excess cash as a result.

ANYONE who can recommend a dealer/repair shop that WON'T screw me would be appreciated....or is there a link to a site that evaluates local repair folks?!?

Thanks to all for your help!!

I'm hoping that because the motor is still working the repair isn't going to be THAT expensive....certainly cheaper than fixting the whole thing.....

·
Registered
145 Posts
A/C Cold Driver Side only

I have a wierd situation. With the A/C on the air blows strong and cold on the driver's side but only blows strong on the passenger side. I tried adjusting the temp down to 60 to no avail. I am comfortable but my passengers are still warm. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: A/C Cold Driver Side only

rugiles said:
I have a wierd situation. With the A/C on the air blows strong and cold on the driver's side but only blows strong on the passenger side. I tried adjusting the temp down to 60 to no avail. I am comfortable but my passengers are still warm. Any ideas?
Dual climate control issue?

·
Registered
545 Posts
My AC stopped working immediately after I had the alternator recall completed. The service tech neglected to connect the line from the new alternator to the AC compressor. After I brought it back and complained, it was fixed free of charge. Maybe unrelated to your case but worth knowing about anyhow.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are doing a simple "recharge" which was about $90. They've had it hooked up to a monitor of sorts and can't determine where/why there was a leak - and have assumed it is very small, or is a result of compression / contraction of equipment. They said, while rare, it isn't unheard of for this type of problem.

They are also replacing the cabin filter as it "was in gross shape".

Total bill will be about $250.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A/C Cold on one side too

I have the same problem as rugiles (I emailed him to see if he found a resolution). On my 2003 MO, when I get into my hot car and turn the A/C on, the passenger side blows warm air while the driver's side is cool. Eventually, the passenger's side gets a bit cooler, but never as cold as the driver's side.

It's not a dual thing -- I've tried turning dual on and off and changing the temp controls up and down. It's as if the air mix doors are stuck open so there's always warm air being mixed in. The only thing I've done that's somewhat related is I've cleaned the in-cabin filter myself in the past.

Any thoughts? Is there a way I can monkey with the air mix doors in case it's a physical thing like something's stuck?

Thanks...it's been over 110 here in Arizona for the last two weeks. If I don't reply, it's because I've passed out from heat exhaustion. ;-)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts