Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so answer me this:

Should the Morono be able to withstand the impact of bugs and road tar/gravel without major mechanical damage?

Here's the issue - got home last week to find that the AC (receiver/dryer/condenser/whatever that thing in front of the radiator is) was spewing the glowing green refrigerant/oil. At the time, I saw NO VISIBLE DAMAGE on the Morono.

Got it to the dealer this morning, and they just called me and said it was hit by a rock, no warranty coverage, $800 to fix.

My feeling is that any part, deliberately placed in front of the car with no protection, should be able to withstand what one would reasonably expect might hit it in that location. If it does not, then that is a defect - in the same way that a paper-thin windshield would be. I mean, it's not like I hit a deer or something. I couldn't find any damage.

This has pretty much sealed the cars fate with me. I told them not to fix it, and I plan on turning the car in on something reliable (non-nissan) before winter's over. But I'm curious if I'm off my rocker here.

Would a call to Nissan's 1-800-GET-BENT number yield any results?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Utah-

Just because they said the leak was caused by a rock doesn't mean that is the case. This wouldn't be the first time a service manager passed off the blame.

I recommend having a knowledgeable mechanic take a look. If he even suspects the leak may have been caused by something other than road debris then I would take it back to the dealer. You have nothing to lose at this point.

Good Luck.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
I'm curious. Was spelling it "Morono" a mistake, or are you giving us a subtle hint as to how you feel about the vehicle (or possibly Nissan in general)? ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, Morono is how I feel about the car and company at this point.
The girlfriend has always called it that. It probably won't last through the weekend.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
When you find a car that will warranty the AC condenser coils from a rock, you be sure and come back and tell us, y'hear?

It's unfortunate, and I wouldn't be pleased either, but all manufacturers mount the coils there, and nobody is going to pay for a rock through any part of the coil, or any part of the car, for that matter.

Sorry.

The comprehensive might well be worth following up on.
I carry 250 deductible, but that would still make it worth while.......Certainly worth a phone call.
Let us know if your insurance will step up.

Homer

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I thought about pursuing my insurance, but since there's very little evidence of a flying missile, I don't know how much help they would be. My deductible is $500 anyway, so not as much help.

Homer, I take your point about a rock *through* the condenser, or even into it hard, and I agree. But if I were to post an image of the part, you wouldn't be able to identify any damage.

The only evidence that exists for this rock, is a couple of bent fins - each only a couple thou. I may have done this much when checking for the leak. Or they may have.

And even if it was a rock, any part on the vehicle should be strong enough to withstand what one would reasonably expect it to encounter without failure. Anything less is a design defect. Otherwise, they'd be making windshields out of saran wrap. Insects, leaves, snow, sand, rocks too small to leave a significant mark, etc. All these things could be reasonably expected to contact the condenser at some point, and it should be able to survive.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
My bet.... not a rock that hit it but just a defect from the start. More unknown/BS from the service center.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They actually had to pressurize the system to find the leak. It was that not-obvious.

But, just as a follow up...
It doesn't matter anymore - I traded it in last night. I probably could have fought with nissan and got some of the expense reimbursed, but life's too short. It had irritated me from the start with ticks/rattles/slow off the line/dying nav/waiting for the alternator do die/etc. so this was the last straw.

The girlfriend summed up the Murano experience perfectly.

"It's like you wanted to get something really nice, like a Mercedes or a Lexus or something, but at the last minute, you cheaped out, and you got what you got."

New vehicle is an outback. Bland, I know. But I had a Subaru previously, and their service department was really top notch. So the service department won me back - especialy in light of this AC thing with the Murano. It's unfortunate for Nissan that the Subaru dealer is *right next door*.

Best of luck to everyone here. This group is a GREAT resource for current and potential MO owners.

Cheers

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
I sincerely hope someone from Nissan corporate is reviewing this forum. (Although I doubt it.)

They spend mega bucks conducting polls and surveys on customer satisfaction. They could get an eyeful for free by just assigning someone to monitor this and other Nissan boards.

Nissan's customer service is abysmal, as evidence by Utah's reaction. They are losing customers due to their service department.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I fail to see how Nissan could be in any way responsible if a rock hit your condensor. Every car has the condensor mounted in front of the radiator so that the AC will receive maximum cooling. If the dealership's diagnosis was "a rock hit it" then it should be covered under the insurance deductible. Now if you can get an independent mechanic to conclude "the damage was due to a defect, not due to a rock" then that is a valid point to bring up with Nissan. However, we are talking about $500 here (through insurance claim), not $5000. It might not be worth it to go through the hassle of a long frustrating proccess of arguing with Nissan corporate. We all know how at Nissan, service is an afterthought.

This kind of damage is not unusual, even though it may be the first time it has happened to you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts