Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 05 S for about 3 months and I always feel the car lacks pick up compared to my wife's 02 Maxima. I know maxima has the similar engine but quite a bit lighter. Does CVT also contribute to the sluggishness? It feels like the torque converter slips when stepping on the gas pedal.

After seeing the recent CVT failure reports, I thought I need to be more alert to the transmission since I did not buy extended warranty.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,280 Posts
gang said:
I have had my 05 S for about 3 months and I always feel the car lacks pick up compared to my wife's 02 Maxima. I know maxima has the similar engine but quite a bit lighter. Does CVT also contribute to the sluggishness? It feels like the torque converter slips when stepping on the gas pedal.

After seeing the recent CVT failure reports, I thought I need to be more alert to the transmission since I did not buy extended warranty.
Computer always trys to find a balance between load, speed, transmission setting, fuel economy, and engine parameters so I would say yes. CVT certainly contributes to engine sluggishness. But you have payback in the form of smoothness and fuel economy.

As far as extended warranty in concerned you can buy one anytime as long as your original manufacturer's warrnty is in force.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
5,268 Posts
I disagree. I do not believe MO is sluggish. I would say that because CVT is so smooth and we do not feel the kicks when tranny is changing gears our perception is that it is sluggish.
Gang,
Why don’t you take Murano and Maxima and try to race them. It would be interesting to see how do they compare in real world.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
Kris said:
I disagree. I do not believe MO is sluggish. I would say that because CVT is so smooth and we do not feel the kicks when tranny is changing gears our perception is that it is sluggish.
Gang,
Why don’t you take Murano and Maxima and try to race them. It would be interesting to see how do they compare in real world.
LOL... I think the only thing that he could confirm by racing the two vehicles is that the Maxima is going to smoke the MO.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,280 Posts
Kris said:
I disagree. I do not believe MO is sluggish. I would say that because CVT is so smooth and we do not feel the kicks when tranny is changing gears our perception is that it is sluggish.
Gang,
Why don’t you take Murano and Maxima and try to race them. It would be interesting to see how do they compare in real world.
Unfortunately it does feel that way during take off from complete stop, and if you floor it, rate of acceleration is decided by the onboard computer not by the driver. That is not to say that it is slow...I can smoke many cars on the freeway but I think the Maxima would have a bit of upperhand from dead stop.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,402 Posts
Part of the sensation of acceleration is the sound of the engine climbing revs and the sound of gears changing, neither of which you really get to experience in the Murano (never tried the 6-spd shiftable option on the newer SE's so I cannot speak for those). Take off is rather sluggish with the CVT (unless in Ds) and unless you floor it, the electronic throttle never really lets the revs go that high.

Compared with a 2002 Maxima, which has 255hp and can go 0-60 (with the auto) between 6.5-7.0s, the Murano would feel pretty slow.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
5,268 Posts
special-k said:


LOL... I think the only thing that he could confirm by racing the two vehicles is that the Maxima is going to smoke the MO.
I agree Maxima should be quicker. However, my point was that CVT gives the feeling of sluggishness, and Murano is actually faster that i feels. I have to say I have surprised many car, including Maxima.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, thanks for the replies. At least, what I observed is not an indication of something abnormal.

Another question for those who are knowledgeable about CVT. Does the belt slip during shift? Since it has to laterally move against the surfaces of the pulleys, the belt can't wrapped very tight. And if it's not very tight, it would likely slip. Am I right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,092 Posts
gang said:
Well, thanks for the replies. At least, what I observed is not an indication of something abnormal.

Another question for those who are knowledgeable about CVT. Does the belt slip during shift? Since it has to laterally move against the surfaces of the pulleys, the belt can't wrapped very tight. And if it's not very tight, it would likely slip. Am I right?
You are right. As I recall it is called microslip... a very very small amount.

If you want some speed during your acceleration have you tried Ds and then the gas? That is a bit more peppy! :5:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,280 Posts
Gonzo said:
If you want some speed during your acceleration have you tried Ds and then the gas? That is a bit more peppy! :5:
Oh yeah...I call them my "show off" gears....:2:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,402 Posts
The nature of the CVT is that since its continuously adjusting the gear ratios, there will never be a linear increase of engine speed such as on a fixed gear (unless you've got the SE 6-spd shift option). So it will always feel like a slipping transmission, an odd senstation to be sure.

Ah yes the Ds mode, when you step on the gas the car violently shoves you into the back of your seat. :D :D No complaints there.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
5,268 Posts
Eric L. said:
Ah yes the Ds mode, when you step on the gas the car violently shoves you into the back of your seat. :D :D No complaints there.

And some call it "lack of acceleration".........:D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,280 Posts
Gonzo said:
For the wieght and size I'm pleased with its acceleration.
And you won't hear a complaint from me either. My previous car was a CRV, or as my wife used to call it when trying to climb hills: "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, I......." :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,285 Posts
Look, if people bought an SUV for acceleration, then they bought the wrong type of vehicle.
BUT having said that, if they are not satisfied with the acceleration of their Murano, they need to drive it (slowly of course) to a Ford Dealer.

Take a test drive in the #1 selling SUV in the world. It comes with a V6. BUT you can buy the V8 if you really want to "fly".

They might like the fact that the V8 Ford Explorer will do 0-60 about a second SLOWER than the Murano while spewing gas out the exhaust pipe.
That's the V8.
OTOH you might NOT like that! ;)
And you don't even want to try a V6 Explorer. 0-60 in ....well, over 10 seconds.

And they get about the same MPG on the highway as the Murano does...............in town! And actually maybe not that good! I hear that 15-16 MPG is all they do at 60-70 MPH!

What about against other Xovers/medium sized SUVs?
Competitive AT THE VERY LEAST on acceleration against both the Highlander and the Pilot.
Beats the V6 Toureg.
Beats the RX 330.
Absolutely KILLS the RX300, the Hyundai, and the Kia.

I think the Murano has good acceleration.
And unless it has slowed from the test drive, then it's doing good compared to about anything else out there.

I am always amazed at questions concerning things that should have been discovered during a test drive. What the heck do people "test" on a test drive anyway? :rolleyes:

I have a friend that bought a 2003 Highlander.
The rear seat is MUCH too hard for anybody.
I mean it is like a "Buckboard"!
His wife rode back there during the test drive.
Why didn't she say something?
Because that was not going to be "her seat"! LOL!
:rolleyes:

When I got done with my test ride(s) I knew
The CVT was "weird" but cool.
The "extras" (mem seats, adjustable pedals, BIG rear seat, folding rear seats) were very neat.
The Vehicle was much faster than one would think. I especially liked DS.
The SE handles better than the SL (Except on concrete roads with expansion strips).
The navigation package costs too much.

After owning it for two years (And excepting the reliability issues) there have no surprises except......
Like other people who do test drives "wrong" I also qualified for "Dufus" status! I no longer think the Nav is too expensive and wish every day that I had gotten one.:confused:

Obviously the competition gets harder every year. But this 3 year old design easily keeps up with the current crop of SUVs.

Homer
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
5,268 Posts
Homer,

thanks for summarizing it so nicely. that exactly how I feel. Yes, i do wish from time to time I had M45 but.......MO is not that bad, not bad at all.......and as you mentioned 3 years old design is still leading.....and it will for a while yet....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
You said it Homer (coming from a long time lurker). Always a pleasure to read your posts. I feel my Mo has plenty of power for my needs and I am happy about the MPG's I get. And speaking about test drives I feel the same way for not getting the Nav instead of the moonruf.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top