Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure if this is an acceleration problem but....just got in my Murano this morning warmed it a bit...temps in the 20 degrees..a few blocks later from a stop took off but then it seemed the rpms reved up higher then normal and the speed would only go to 30 mph ..and thats it couldn't go any faster....for a couple of blocks then it all just went away...didnt do it later when I left work to go home ..didnt feel anything like this morning....first time this has done this....2014 Murano sv 43000 miles....any info would be great.....

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'd start with scanning for error codes and checking your air intake for leaks.

·
Registered
492 Posts
not sure if this is an acceleration problem but....just got in my Murano this morning warmed it a bit...temps in the 20 degrees..a few blocks later from a stop took off but then it seemed the rpms reved up higher then normal and the speed would only go to 30 mph ..and thats it couldn't go any faster....for a couple of blocks then it all just went away...didnt do it later when I left work to go home ..didnt feel anything like this morning....first time this has done this....2014 Murano sv 43000 miles....any info would be great.....
Have there been any other issues with how the car has been driving recently that might be connected? Follow MuranoSL2003's advice and I'd also suggest checking your CVT fluid level since your description sounded like the transmission (temporarily) wasn't shifting to a lower gear ratio. Let us know if you find anything.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Use a OBD2 code scanner that can read Nissan CVT TCM codes, many generic code readers can't.

A good Android app for retrieving engine and Nissan CVT error codes is CVTz50.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have there been any other issues with how the car has been driving recently that might be connected? Follow MuranoSL2003's advice and I'd also suggest checking your CVT fluid level since your description sounded like the transmission (temporarily) wasn't shifting to a lower gear ratio. Let us know if you find anything.
nope this was the first time it did something like this and no other issues ...it was icy that morning too maybe just slipping on ice...also I see there is a lock or clip on tube for checking trans oil...how do I get this unclipped to check...thanks...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd start with scanning for error codes and checking your air intake for leaks.
i did do a search too and saw about air intake leaks ..ill have to check for that ..when weather warms a bit...ill see if I can get someone to scan for codes...this hasn't happened again tho ...so far so good....

·
Super Moderator
8,050 Posts
i did do a search too and saw about air intake leaks ..ill have to check for that ..when weather warms a bit...ill see if I can get someone to scan for codes...this hasn't happened again tho ...so far so good....
Sounds good, and checking will only take a minute or so. Hope that you can do this soon, as it's no fun to put up with this problem.

·
Registered
492 Posts
nope this was the first time it did something like this and no other issues ...it was icy that morning too maybe just slipping on ice...also I see there is a lock or clip on tube for checking trans oil...how do I get this unclipped to check...thanks...
Just push the locking tab in with a small screwdriver or pick and you should be able to pull it out. CVT fluid check must be done with engine running at operating temperature and be sure to manually shift through all the gears for a few seconds each before measuring. You'll see a cross-hatched area near the bottom of the dipstick--the level should be somewhere within. See this video for reference although you don't need a scanner that can read the CVT fluid temperature--just do it after you've driven the car around for a while to make sure the engine and CVT are properly warmed up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Btw the dipstick is difficult to read as fluid is usually present all over the thing, but if you look really close at it with daylight shining right on it you will see some consistency of fluid to gauge the level with. I dont know how else to say it lol sorry.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not really an update..but I did go and finally check the air intake for leaks per some suggestions..found no crack or holes in the intake..but did notice the air filter housing..where the engine air filter goes...it really doesnt line up...I mean the top and bottom pc dont line up to good..the corners line up but the middle seems out..i can see the bottom of the air filter in the middle ..everthing closes and seem tight but the space in the middle ..hope this makes sense...clips close as well..... if this was a problem with letting to much air in.. wouldn't I get a check engine light right??

·
Registered
71 Posts
It sounds like limp mode. The Tom is connected with other computers throughout a communications system called can bus. The temperature could have been an issue or some sensor telling the transmission to protect itself from failure. I would definitely check for any codes or intermittent trips with a decent scan tool, there can be many causes for a limp mode condition.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It sounds like limp mode. The Tom is connected with other computers throughout a communications system called can bus. The temperature could have been an issue or some sensor telling the transmission to protect itself from failure. I would definitely check for any codes or intermittent trips with a decent scan tool, there can be many causes for a limp mode condition.
Sorry TCM ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
not really an update..but I did go and finally check the air intake for leaks per some suggestions..found no crack or holes in the intake..but did notice the air filter housing..where the engine air filter goes...it really doesnt line up...I mean the top and bottom pc dont line up to good..the corners line up but the middle seems out..i can see the bottom of the air filter in the middle ..everthing closes and seem tight but the space in the middle ..hope this makes sense...clips close as well..... if this was a problem with letting to much air in.. wouldn't I get a check engine light right??
There should be like 3 plastic tabs on the back the air filter case that need to inserted in the 3 plastic loops back there so it stays put. I don't know how different my 2011 is from ur 2014 but I'd bet it's the same set up for the filter.

If they are not in properly then it will pop open at some point even if you are able to clip the front. It should look close to flush and you definitely should not be able to see the filter when it's closed. Also see if the filter is the correct size. It maybe as simple as that.

But while my intake hose had leaks I only occasionally got a check engine light when I had hesitations. Which happened several times a day. Mine lasted a few seconds to about 5. A few blocks is a really long time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There should be like 3 plastic tabs on the back the air filter case that need to inserted in the 3 plastic loops back there so it stays put. I don't know how different my 2011 is from ur 2014 but I'd bet it's the same set up for the filter.

If they are not in properly then it will pop open at some point even if you are able to clip the front. It should look close to flush and you definitely should not be able to see the filter when it's closed. Also see if the filter is the correct size. It maybe as simple as that.

But while my intake hose had leaks I only occasionally got a check engine light when I had hesitations. Which happened several times a day. Mine lasted a few seconds to about 5. A few blocks is a really long time.
that the first thing I did was check to make sure all tabs are in and filter was seated as well ..but it still looks like its still not seated right.i can see a gap and bottom of filter ….not getting any messages or any kind of hesitation either...the only thing ive noticed was the gas mileage went down...a bit...if there is a air gap shouldn't it be running rough...

·
Super Moderator
8,050 Posts
It's important that you take the time to make sure that the air filter housing fits and is closed properly. Even if you have to remove it from the car, you need to make sure it's working. Having air bypass the filter will let particulate matter and dust into the engine and cause engine wear.

If it doesn't look seated right and you can't get it to fit, spend the time needed to make it right, or take it to a mechanic. This is basic but important.

·
Registered
492 Posts
that the first thing I did was check to make sure all tabs are in and filter was seated as well ..but it still looks like its still not seated right.i can see a gap and bottom of filter ….not getting any messages or any kind of hesitation either...the only thing ive noticed was the gas mileage went down...a bit...if there is a air gap shouldn't it be running rough...
The air filter not being seated properly is not a vacuum leak because the air is still being metered by the MAF sensor. However, as Pilgrim pointed out an improperly seated air filter will let dirt/dust etc into the engine and this could contaminate the MAF sensor, which could cause performance issues. Pull the MAF sensor out and inspect it. Even if it doesn't look contaminated you still might want to clean it with MAF sensor cleaner.

Has the issue in your first post come back?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The air filter not being seated properly is not a vacuum leak because the air is still being metered by the MAF sensor. However, as Pilgrim pointed out an improperly seated air filter will let dirt/dust etc into the engine and this could contaminate the MAF sensor, which could cause performance issues. Pull the MAF sensor out and inspect it. Even if it doesn't look contaminated you still might want to clean it with MAF sensor cleaner.

Has the issue in your first post come back?
no it hasn't....but upon further review...I took filter out and the housing seems to seat properly..but when I put filter in it doesn't align at all but the filter is seated all the way around...but it makes it have the gap...maybe wrong filter ..idk...going to but new one and put it in and will update..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well tried different filter and same thing....the filter fits in bottom housing good but when I go to put top on and clip it its way out.. the top pc just doesn't sit on it right ..so freaking weird...I was able to push it down really hard and kinda get it to line up best I can..it seems the housing it warped or something..but it looks better now...its like the filter is too fat I have to squish it down pretty hard to get the top to close....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not sure what type of filter you purchased and where you bought it from, but you do get what you pay for with them. Premium grade filters are the only type I will put on my car. Auto zone and advance etc. have given me incorrect parts before. It's very strange that your filter is not fitting. I'd recommend removing the entire housing and checking for fitment as someone has suggested in a previous post. The housing and cover will only go together in one specific way and you know it when its happens correctly. Do you have pictures by chance?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts