Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am a proud owner of MO for 4 mo. and about 7000 miles, though it has all the mentioned littlli problems.
Anyway today I just cruise about 1.5 hour and noticed that the accelerator pedal feel awkward.
I was cruising at 70 mph constant and where I come to climb a little hill, I press on the pedal a bit to maintain the speed. Usually I am pretty gentle on pedal not to get the transmission torque lock converter to release and pop up the rpm.
But this time I was gentle enough and tried couple times, but I felt car is not pulling instead losing power (just a slight, barely noticeable) as I gently press the pedal more, and suddenly the power comes in a burst. Not to mention that it raised the rpm and accelerating very hard.
Now I come to a stop light and again as I gently press the pedal the car wouldn't move much but pedal keep pressing gently as it exceeds certain point, burst of rpm and acceleration comes back.

I don't know whether the weather being ~90 and a/c on made this odd acceleration but have never experienced this in the past.

Anyway just asking other MO experts for their experience for any kind of related problem.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I too notice that performance is noticably worse when the weather gets hot. Yesterday it felt like I was towing a trailer in the 95 degree heat.

·
5,268 Posts
I've had MO since June 2003. Drove it in cold as well as hot weather - 90+. No problems here with "nonlinear" acceleration.

It looks like you have either problem with ECU or the throttle is getting stuck for some reason.......

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Different formulations between "winter" and "summer" blend fuels might also affect acceleration response to us with very sensitive butt dynos.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I haven't experianced the expressway thing but in Ds it sometimes seems to be searchin for input if I'm not goose'n it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Again it happened

After restarting the engine the problem was gone until today I noticed it again.
It was fine as I head out to office but after a short while not long, about 10 minutes, I felt little odd in acceleration/transmission again.
The problem is back again, the accel pedal doesn't feel that it puts gas at initial 1/5 of press but after that sudden acceleration.

I come to think whether such odd nonlinear pedal reaction made by something going bad on my cvt and went into secure mode to protect transmission for the initial 1/5 pedal press
or
just messed up ecu acceleration table?

Anyway it wouldn't occur as I restart to go anywhere, but I need to show this to the dealer before it gets stop in the middle of road.

BTW I hear tick, one time, from the transmission when I first start in the morning and put in to R. Has anyone hear this? Is this normal? I even put foot brakes not to load anything to the trans. but no help.
Only happens once at cold start though. Any thoughts/comments?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I believe if the transmission goes into failsafe mode, it should store a code. The dealer should be able to retrieve that.

·
5,268 Posts
Interesting,
It happened to me too. First time ever in 16k miles.

Two days ago drove through KY on a highway cruising at 70 mph on cc. Easy drive. Tried to speed up a little bit during slight climb to show my passenger how smooth and powerful the car is. After that went back to cc. After a while I notice something like power surges. First I thought it was just my imagination so started paying more attention. The surges did occur. I could see changes in RPM for no reason whatsoever! Decided to switch the cc off. The accelerator pedal was inoperative or rather no responsive for at least 25% of travel. After depressing it further the power would come suddenly! Also, I notice that during slight climb the RPM would go up to 3,000 RPM when before they would stay at 2,00 RPM. Strange. After stopping and turning the engine off and on again ( after several minutes) the problem went away, Everything got back to normal……..

Seems like ECU reset itself…….hope it will never happen again……

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Could it be a problem with the throttle position sensor?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a feeling I've experienced this too, but wasn't sure if it was my imagination. I guess I need to pay attention now. What kind of gas are you using? I'm getting better fuel mileage now then when before for some reason. I'm at 17k and know I've tried the different grades of fuel and never had this good of gas mileage. Is it possible your injectors are getting clogged because of the type of gas your using? Maybe try some Injector cleaner?

·
5,268 Posts
If it was the throttle position sensor wouldn't it play all the time?

I am using premium gas from Shell, BP, Texaco, QT, Race Track....I do not have preferences nor stick to one particular brand or gas station.....

PS. I just remember that during this "problem" car felt much less powerful.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Electrical components are kind of funny in that sometimes they work perfectly and sometimes not at all. I've seen this happen a lot with O2 sensors, sometimes they throw a code but if you test it directly with a backprobe, they are perfectly fine. Then suddenly they start going nuts.

I am not willing to rule out the TPS since we know the throttle is electronically controlled. I'm sure the FSM shows a test for the TPS.

·
Registered
758 Posts
All

PS. I just remember that during this "problem" car felt much less powerful.
I had the same problem while driving all highway last weekend. At first I thought I had gotten some bad Gasoline. It really bothered me, seemed like the car was "jerky" when pressing on the Accelerator and when attempting to smoothly increase speed it seemed like it had nothing left to give.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check to make sure none of the alloy heat tiles are loose or damaged. Obviously you people think you just purchased the space shuttle from NASA! Just drive the damn things an quit whining.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
tech22 said:
Check to make sure none of the alloy heat tiles are loose or damaged. Obviously you people think you just purchased the space shuttle from NASA! Just drive the damn things an quit whining.
That was pretty uncalled for. People are still trying to determine what characteristics are normal for this type of transmission, as it is the first CVT most of us have driven.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Right on Tech22

I couldn't agree more with Tech22 the same dozen or so people ***** just to hear themselves and then the rest just jump on the bandwagon. Just get out drive and enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am sure you all realize that MO has this real high tech 'fly by wire' technology for the accelarator mechanism. Most vehicles have mechanical acuators and levers to do this. This technology comes from latest aviation technology. Newer Air-bus planes and Boings have this too. Much famed 747 does not have it.

As the mechanism is totally electronic, it is going to have a different foot feel to it. I guess I am used to it and dont find anything unusual.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Seems like wanting to hear yourself was the only reason you posted. And jumped on a bandwagon. Just a different one.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts