Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2003 Nissan Murano in May. It has 125K miles on it. It runs fine 90% of the time but I've had three instances where I have been in traffic and it all of a sudden goes into "limp mode". I push the accelerator and nothing happens. This is very scary since I've been on the interstate going about 60 miles an hour 2 times when it happened and was turning into an intersection this last time. After I get the car to an exit or stopping place and turn it off for 15-20 minutes, it resets and seems fine.

The first time this happened, the check engine light came on. I took it to a shop that said it was throwing transmission codes. I then took it to the transmission shop who said that they couldn't really find anything wrong so they reset the code and said come back if it happens again.

Then, it ran fine and it happened again about a month later. I took it to the Nissan place and they said it was throwing transmission codes and I would probably need to replace the transmission. Which I do not want to do, 1- because of the cost and 2-from my research this seems like a common problem and others who have posted this issue said the new transmission didn't solve the problem. Anyway, I found out the car was under a recall for the Engine Air Intake Duct - Nissan fixed that and reset the code. I was hoping maybe the recall fix would eliminate the problem.

Then, about another month later, it happened again on Friday. Check engine light came on and it wouldn't accelerate through an intersection. I turned it off for about 30 minutes, it reset and is running fine - but the check engine light is on.

I called the transmission shop a little while ago and they said they would need to look at it again but it sounded like an engine problem.

I just can't rely on the car and am scared to drive it anywhere where there is traffic. Does anyone have an suggestions or helpful advice?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Well...you're caught between a rock and a hard spot at this point. You're at 125K miles and still under the 10 years for the extended CVT warranty.

From what you wrote before, you should have the original date and miles the first incident occurred. It will help if you still have the records of each incident, the mileage on the MO at the time, and the codes thrown. Then you can back that up with an additional visit to the dealership to have the codes pulled and an official decision made as if the CVT were still under warranty. If with all that data, the dealership does not want to swap out the CVT under warranty, you can then get an official decision from Nissan Consumer Affairs.

The logic here is to clearly define when the issue started. If it started before the warranty period ended, then you have a very good possibility the CVT will be exchanged.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The saga continues

Well, I call Nissan Consumer Affairs and asked them about an extension of the warranty to cover my CVT. They wanted me to take it to a local Nissan dealership so they could diagnose the problem and estimate how much it would cost to fix it and then call them back.

I took it to the Nissan place on Friday. They cleared the codes, turned the check engine light off, and said it was ready to be picked up. They said they couldn't find a problem with it! When I asked what the codes were they said that they didn't write them down were because they were old. They said that everything looked fine. I explained to them that the only common thing between the 3 times this has happened in the last 5 months was that the car had been driven for a while and was hot. Anyway, they said they drove it around for about 30 minutes and couldn't replicate the problem. They told me if it happens again to bring it straight to them so they can read the code.

I'm scared to drive it in traffic because "if it happens again" I might have an accident. This is a safety issue and I'm furious that they didn't have a better answer or document what the codes were. I don't know what to do now. . .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Exact Issue

I believe it is related to this open recall. I called Nissan at 1-800-647-7261 and I had an open recall on the intake/air duct. I'm taking it in tomorrow to get it repaired for free and I'll let you know if it fixes this same issue you are having with my 2003 Nissan Murano.

MAY 19, 2009 | Recall ID# 75385 Hide Details

Recall Reason ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Recall Date MAY 19, 2009
Model Affected MURANO
Potential Units Affected 362891

Recall Summary
NISSAN IS RECALLING 362,891 MY 2003-2007 MURANO VEHICLES. THE INTAKE AIR DUCTS, WHICH ARE CONNECTED TO THE INTERMEDIATE RESONATOR IN THE AIR INTAKE SYSTEM OF THE ENGINE, MAY SEPARATE FROM THE RESONATOR WITH ENGINE MOVEMENT. THIS SEPARATION OCCURS DUE TO THE PREMATURE AGING OF THE MATERIAL USED IN THE INTAKE AIR DUCTS WHICH CAUSES EXCESSIVE SHRINKING.

Consequence
ENGINE MAY STALL INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE/REPAIR THE APPROPRIATE COMPONENTS FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON SEPTEMBER 24, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.

Notes
NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.

Read more: 2003 Nissan Murano Recalls - InternetAutoGuide.com

·
Registered
04 nissan murano sl
2 Posts
Well...you're caught between a rock and a hard spot at this point. You're at 125K miles and still under the 10 years for the extended CVT warranty.

From what you wrote before, you should have the original date and miles the first incident occurred. It will help if you still have the records of each incident, the mileage on the MO at the time, and the codes thrown. Then you can back that up with an additional visit to the dealership to have the codes pulled and an official decision made as if the CVT were still under warranty. If with all that data, the dealership does not want to swap out the CVT under warranty, you can then get an official decision from Nissan Consumer Affairs.

The logic here is to clearly define when the issue started. If it started before the warranty period ended, then you have a very good possibility the CVT will be exchanged.

Good luck!
My 04 muranojerks after you take off wh eff n accelerating. Cleared all codes, new throttle body relearned, knock sensor new. Tranny was replaced. ?any ideas anyone. Ty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts