Registered
990 Posts
Ok, makes sense.

I will check the power draw on my bench

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Sounds good, let us know what you find.

Low bit rate mode sacrifices video quality, so you want to check if it's acceptable to you.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Thinking about it a little more, low bit rate mode will probably consume a little less power because the CPU doesn't have to work as hard compressing (mp4) the smaller amount of data... It will be interesting to see your results.

·
Registered
990 Posts
This is what I found out:
I upgraded my firmware to 2.1, which is the latest.

The options for parking mode are:
  • Event Detection ( buffers the video, but only saved to sd card when an event is detected)
  • Time laps (1,2,3,5,10 fps)
  • Low bit rate
I set my voltage to 12.6V and it was drawing 0.22A for all 3 options, slight variation, but they all seem to draw the same amount of current.

There is also an option for Parking mode duration, I guess it says how long parking mode should be on, options are 12H and 24H

In driving mode, it draws around 2X as much (~0.39V - 0.41A)

I also set my adapter to shut off at 12.4V, when I dial my voltage to 12.4, it took like 30sec for it to cut the power to the dashcam, so it is pretty accurate.

Now, 0.22A is not insignificant when dealing with a battery, it will drain your battery, no matter how good it is.
What is the draining rate? Depends on the battery
How long to go from 12.6 to 12.4? 1Day? 2Day? will test it out

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Awesome bench test work, thanks!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
At least one reason why the draw is so much more in driving mode is likely to due with the rapidly changing video scenery. The compression algorithm has to work much harder compressing the data compared to the relative stable scenery in parking mode...

Edit: disregard what I said, it was a bench test so scenery would not come into play for the test. Maybe the video is recorded at a much higher bit rate when in driving mode?

It's good that you have verified the cutoff voltage is accurate.

·
Registered
990 Posts
In driving mode, it records at 4K and 1080p, while in parking mode it is 1080p on front and rear? Correct me if I am wrong
Also, as you can see, my screen was ON when I was testing Driving mode, it usually times out after 30sec, with the screen off it should draw less.

Another good option is the ability to turn off parking mode after a set amount of time, this is good if your battery keeps dying, and you do not drive your car a lot, park in a garage or secure area.
Let's say you go to work, or park your car in the city to run some errands, you should be back in your car within 12H.

Most of the battery dying, is when you have it recording for 2+ days, so battery does not have time to recharge in time.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
In driving mode, it records at 4K and 1080p, while in parking mode it is 1080p on front and rear? Correct me if I am wrong
Also, as you can see, my screen was ON when I was testing Driving mode, it usually times out after 30sec, with the screen off it should draw less.
That makes sense to me. 4K would be a lot more work for the CPU, and result in a higher power draw. The screen being on too.

Can you do a test to see the power draw when the screen times out in driving mode to see how much impact it has?

Is WiFi is disabled during these tests? It would have a large impact on the draw. It might be interesting to how much...

·
Registered
990 Posts
When I was testing, wifi was off
Surprisingly, with wifi on, the power draw is the same. I even connected my phone, but the power did not change much

It draws 0.36A when the screen is off

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The current draw with screen off in driving mode looks much better.

I'm surprised WiFi isn't having an impact on current draw. I know with my non-pro version it can cause issues due to the amount of resources it consumes, it needs to be turned off for driving and parking modes to work properly. Maybe your pro-version is better in this regard...

Thank you for the test results!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Yes, I was surprise as I was expecting a higher current draw with WIFI enabled.
But, if you think of it, you do not need wifi
The only time you need WIFI is to configure the dashcam, and watch the live feed, which I think you will not be doing while driving.

Also, in driving mode, Event Detection makes more sense to me, since that's what I am only interested in. It is the same current draw as the other option, but at least you a are not writing to the SD card continuously.
Just need to figure how sensitive is the detection, like someone walking past your car, there are 3 options for Event Detection (low, medium and high), I have it set to medium. Because even a tree branch moving, or changes in lightning can trigger it.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Also, in driving mode, Event Detection makes more sense to me, since that's what I am only interested in. It is the same current draw as the other option, but at least you a are not writing to the SD card continuously.
I believe I have read that my A129 duo does the event detection 15 seconds of video buffering to the SD card, so it requires a SD card designed for lots of writes. The event detection with 15 seconds of video buffered prior to the event functionality was added after the camera was in production, so there wasn't enough memory to buffer to do it there...

Your pro version may have been designed to do it in memory, which would be more kind to the SD card, but I'm not sure it does -- have you checked?

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have not checked whether it does it in memory or not, it would make more sense to do it in memory, then write to SD card. I will check...

The 4K video is amazing, just need to figure out how to deal with the reflection from my windshield.
The rear also is pretty good, seeing that my back window is tinted.

The night video is so so, a little bit over exposed, but I guess all 4K suffer from the same issue when recording at night.
But you can make out any event clearly, it is just you might not be able to read the license plate.

I have had in parking mode for 24H, and my battery did not go below 12.0V, I set the cutoff voltage to 11.8V.
Installation was also pretty easy.

I have a fake alarm, small red flashing LED on my dash to scare away the thieves, this tricks the dashcam in parking mode to trigger, so it is always recording, although I set it to Event Detection for parking mode. Need to figure out how to deal with that.

One of the most affordable 4K out there with good parking mode.

Here is a small footage in 4K

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
A circular polarizing lens (CPL) will help a lot with those reflections. Looks great otherwise!

I wouldn't feel comfortable setting the voltage cutoff that low, especially in colder weather if it's parked outside overnight... Maybe your Optima AGM battery can handle it though.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Thanks for the tip, just ordered me one.

I thought about the voltage being too low also, I will go and set it a little higher. Good thing I installed the adapter in such a way it would be easy for me to change.

·
Registered
990 Posts
FYI

·
Registered
990 Posts
So my battery went from 12.6V to 11.9V in 17hrs (from 7pm yesterday to 12pm today).

So the parking mode will not last 24Hrs unless you use a battery pack for additional juice.

If you drive your car everyday, then there is no issue.

12Hr window in parking mode seems more reasonable if you want to keep your battery above 11.8V.
The constant draining and recharging of your battery will most likely shorten your battery life also.

I set the cutoff voltage to 12.2V to be on the safe side

So there is a trade off

21 - 37 of 37 Posts